It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival or ??????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I have been reading alot of these threads trying to catch up LOL
One thing I've noticed is a bit of confusion.
I try to look at these subjects as a beginer so I can better understand how to broach these topics when i'm talking to beginners.
I think it would be helpful to distinguish between " survival " issues and what I call A.W.O.L ( Another way of life ).
I see survival as a relatively short term situation needing to be survived.
In short if your building and defending a cabin, planting crops and planning more than one season in a given location, your well past survival per se and into an alternate life.
I draw this distinction when teaching so that the magnitude of things one needs to learn and have to prepare is not so daunting to beginners.
I have seen people's eyes glaze over from information overload when the subject is just too complex.
I teach them the first step is survival, after that you can consider your lifestyle.
I would like to hear if anyone else thinks this distinction is important enough for us to be mindful of.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 1ShotDeal

I definetly agree there is a difference.

The first and foremost is surviving the "event". After that survival people need to adjust lifestyles. The great thing is you can plan for both at the same time.

I liken it to building a structure of some sort. You don't decide you want an outhouse, build the foundation, build the outhouse...then decide you want a 3 bedroom. You then have to redo the foundation. Then people decide they want a skyscraper. Have to start over again.

Decide what you want in the first place, and build the proper foundation. You can always scale back later if needed.

Having said that, I think it would be great to have a step by step plan for the newbies on how to get started.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If those of us that are prepared to try to survive were to feel the time came to go into survival mode you can take it as a given that we will be going into another way of life.

No ifs ands or butts. Whatever happened in our world to cause us to leave our homes and seek shelter elsewhere is going to change our world forever.

There will be no going back to life as we knew it.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tlshark

A step by step plan for the newbies? hummmm

It is possible to prepare a plan when it is time to go into action to survive. We have a very informative forum concerning survival here on ATS.

I do not see it possible to make a plan for the future until we get through the event we survived. There will be devastation, disease, rouge gangs, and all manner of bad events.

You won't be able to run down to the local lumber store and purchase materials to build a new home.

Rebuilding after a nuclear bomb is a lot different than doing so after an earthquake or other disaster.

There will be chaos. Count on it.

top topics

join