It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vomiting bug to get worse

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I suspect the ATS member's brother was quite old, from the description given, plus he discharged himself from Hospital.

It is possible to die from this, if you don't drink your fluids. You can also die from the Flu. It also depends on how strong your immune system is. Two anecdotal accounts hardly warrants panic over a stomach bug which is quite common.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Blackburn is less than 45 miles away from where I live.

If there were 150,000 dead people from Norovirus in the county of Lancashire - where Blackburn is situated, believe me, I'd know about it by now.

Its not the case.

I live all the way down in Canterbury, trust me, I'd know too is 150,000 people were dead.

Again, it's not the case

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yeah I get that. I kinda read into his brother being of infirm health to begin with.(right or wrong)

I WAS concerned about people i actually saw drop IN hospital though.
I was outta there as soon as nursy in charge turned her back.

100,000 per week estimated to increase to 200,000 per peek upon returning to work after xmas hols.*

People have GOT to stay hydrated after contracting this.
I'd personally keep in some isotonic drinks or powders to combat this.
(Whisky n Lucozade sport?)

edit... *that's cases not deaths

[edit on 9-1-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
whatdoesitmean.com does not even deserve to be called nutcases because its an insult to those who are indeed nutcases.

I'd think someone would notice mass burials, the government would have to tell the public by law and it would have evoked the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (again, by law) to get the power to do such a thing.

It would have required a state of emergency. Declared in Parliament to 600 MP's. Plus an audience in the gallery, transmitted live on BBC Parliament Channel on Sky channel 504.

You have to be an idiot to think such a measure would be secret.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have just got over this and believe me it is nasty, one min i was watching TV the next i was vomiting everywhere, my little 5 yr old had it also and now my wife, i couldnt even keep water inside for the first 24 hrs and i had no warning whatsoever,

Im glad im over it now i just have to look after the Mrs, my 13 yr old is expecting to come down with it any sec.

advice get some anti sickness meds like yclazine or metoclopramide and overlap them if you get it, and keep lots of water handy, when you can keep it down drink like you never drunk before i first tried milk but it made me worse..

apc

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It is possible to die from this, if you don't drink your fluids.

Yup I got this bug two years and my doctor demanded to give me a bag of fluid which I reluctantly agreed to. I passed out shortly after the IV went in because my body was so stressed from being dehydrated.

One of these days I'm gonna learn to hook myself up. Seems like it could come in handy. Maybe I could make a kit and sell it on eBay. Don't worry. I'll ship to the UK, too.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
for those who are doubting what i said, i only repeated what the coroner told my mother about the reasons for him being so late in arriving and why she would have had to wait for an autopsy.

i DIDN'T say it was what killed him because yes, he was already ill and that what PROBABLY the cause of death but he had this norovirus just before he died hence my reason for posting here. as i said, we will not know for sure what DID kill him as there will be no autopsy now. im sure this is the case for many other people who were already ill or infirm, caught this virus and then died - if there is no autopsy then you cannot be sure what did kill the person directly or indirectly! if an ill person would NOT have died at that same time because they didn't contract the virus then it MUST be part of the cause of death whether they write that on the death certificate or not.
stumason, my brother wasn't that old, only mid forties.

if you all read what i said in the beginning, i did point out i had know idea how large the area covered for 150 thousand deaths was - it is most likely a countrywide total rather than local so please stop insinuating that i said something different. i only repeated what i was told.

neformore, as you live so close by you can verify this - i can give you the name of the funeral home and the details of where the funeral and service will take place on tuesday - you don't live very far so you can discuss what the coroner told my my directly with her - i'm sure she could provide you with the coroner's details and you could discuss it with him.

i doubt there is one single person here who can say exactly how many deaths there have been in the uk over the xmas period (and how many of those persons had this norovirus just before or not). there are more deaths around this time of year than any other time and countrywide, 150,000 doesn't really sound too much when spread over several weeks. perhaps some opinionated member here could find that out and report back. personally, i have arrangements to make for going back to the uk and a funeral to attend so i'm a little too busy and to do it myself.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
neformore, as you live so close by you can verify this - i can give you the name of the funeral home and the details of where the funeral and service will take place on tuesday - you don't live very far so you can discuss what the coroner told my my directly with her - i'm sure she could provide you with the coroner's details and you could discuss it with him.

Coroners in the UK work on a County basis. Blackburn is in Lancashire, which is a large'ish county in the England. The specifics of deaths are usually classed as private and I'm sure they wouldn't discuss it with anyone who either was not a family member or a member of the medical profession.

According to the UK census site here;

National Statistics

in 2006 there were 502,599 deaths in England and Wales combined, so the implication here is that 30% of the total deaths of England and Wales in 2006 has happened in Lancashire alone during a period of 2007. It doesn't ring right.

150,000 doesn't really sound too much when spread over several weeks. perhaps some opinionated member here could find that out and report back. personally, i have arrangements to make for going back to the uk and a funeral to attend so i'm a little too busy and to do it myself.

In the context I've given above 150k deaths in one county seems an awful lot.

Justy - you've lost a family member and thats the most important thing here. I think basically somethings got mixed up a bit during what would certainly have been a very difficult conversation and I think we just need to leave it at that and allow you to grieve in peace.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

for the record, again - i have not said the number of deaths quoted were in one single area of the uk alone, nor have i ever said the norovirus is what killed my brother. i only repeated was was told to me and stated that the figure is most likely a countrywide total (which would also include scotland's figures).

the statistics you quote were last updated 6 months ago (a data year doesn't end at the end of the year but in the middle), therefore as there is a current epidemic of norovirus as is apparent, those figures do not reflect what is happening NOW.

if this epidemic IS killing off those already sick, then doctors, hospitals and coroners have most likely been already warned to expect an increase in realted deaths but would they make that public knowledge? no they wouldn't. but they would be warning people about the dangers of the virus and what to do to avoid it, which they are doing.

over an 11 day period over xmas, over 1.1 million people contacted the nhs with this virus (not counting those like my brother who didn't). the reports over those 11 days are 61% up on the same period last year. that is not reflected in official statistics and won't be for another 6 months. so a 30% uk (england scotland AND wales) increase during an epidemic still isn't isnt an unreasonable figure to assume.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

I was going to leave things with my last post but OK - I'm not sure why you want to push this at this particular time in your life - thats your perogative.

You can't hide a sudden increase like 150,000 dead people in the UK. Its as simple as that. The NHS is overstretched as it is.

Where do you put them? How do you prevent the health care staff from talking? How do you prevent all the relatives from these people who suddenly start dying from speaking out? How do you prevent the communities from noticing, and people talking?

The official secrets act couldn't cover it, and a D-Notice sure as hell wouldn't stop communities from expressing their opinion - both of those are tools that are used when information is sensitive and CAN be compartmentalised.

You are suggesting that the equivalent of a very large town/small English City has passed away since the initial warnings of this stomach bug were put out.

I'm sorry, but I simply do not see that as being the case.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
can taking metoclopromide prevent you from getting norovirus?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join