It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My experiences with "aliens"...Help me interpret it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Spirit Warrior - The impulse to try half-priced books was a bit strange actually. We were having national operations meeting today (and tomorrow). When we broke for lunch, I happened to briefly think about my activity on this blog, which is a new life episode for me, and I decided to make a quick dash to a bookstore in search for a book by Monroe or My Big Toe. I went to the appropriate section and searche every book. This book sort of caught my attention, I flipped through it, it resonated, so I bought it. It was sort of impulsive, I'm not sure if I was nudged there or not. Wait a minute, there was something strange now that I think about it. during the short drive to the store I had a weird ringing in my left ear only. I do not have tinnitus, though I do occasionally get sort of an old time AM radio-cant find the station sort of sound. It happened while driving there and while I was searching for the book. Coincidence or not? I could never differentiate. What do you think. Wow! You made me think about the details with your question and I do recall that very high pitched audible ringing. I actually put my finger near my ear because it got a bit louder then stopped. What the hell man! Anyway, regarding your wonderful ancestry...first of all, I'm jealous. Beyond that, I met a Navajo man selling art along with his sister on the road leading the Grand Canyon. I stopped to look at the art and we just hit it off right away. I started asking many questions and it got him excited. We got to Petroglyphs and he said, "Man, I've got to show you something". He asked if I'd ever been on a reservation to which I said, "Only the Oneida". He then asked if I'd be willing to go with him onto the reservation for a long drive and hike to which I said, "Hell Yes". I'll finish this in a moment.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
After reading your post...by all means, please continue.

I have some questions as well.

What do you feel is the significance of the Native Indian reference? Is it because of the place or the person you were with?

Who is the other person you refer to in the story?

What messages have you received?

What can you gather about the intent of these beings?

Some, not all, are beings I've not heard of before. Can you be sure that you were in physical matter reality vs non-physical matter reality (NPMR)?
Some of the entities seem astral to me. That does not mean they are not real, it is simply a matter of defining what reality system you are referring to.

On a side not, it may interest you to find a Robert Bruce interview on youtube. It is a coast to coast interview. I believe the interview is refrencing his latest book physhic self defence. There are some interesting things in the interview even though it is not completely related to the subject here.

Infortunately the series is numbered oddly....1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and so on. You'll just have to put up with it. Here is the link to the fist part.
Interview

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We went to the reservation and drove in his 4WD for about 5 miles and drove into a dry riverbed canyon. The walls on each side were roughly 100 feet high. We had to get out of the vehicle due to not being able to drive any further. We proceeded to hike another few miles into the canyon and came to place where about 30 feet up the canyon wall, there were petroglyphs engraved into the red rock. We had to climb quite a way off the path to get to the ledge with the glyphs. I asked him how old they were and he said his people believe them to be roughly 6 to 10 thousand years old. there were long horn sheep, snakes, spiral circular symbols, medicine men looking folk, literally alien looking stick people with huge typical looking alien heads and round craft above the stick people. There was another image of what looked like a hair comb. It had a horizontal shaft joined by about 20 vertical lines coming straight down. It was above the circular craft looking images. I asked him what they were and he said his people knew them as star people from long ago. He didn't have anything to say about the comb looking image. I asked him about the craft and he said that they were starships that came from uranium for thousands of years. I don't know if there ever was or still is uranium in those parts, but he didn't miss a beat when he was answering my questions. Everything rolled off his tongue without hesitation. There is more to this story, but I'd rather not share it online. With your heritage, I'm sure you'd be intrigued. Cheers!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Spirit Warrior - What do you make of the ringing in my ears? Could that be a subtle steering, or non-related? This is precisely why I'm posting. I feel the need to get outside assistance to help me ground all of these experiences by someone who has knowledge in these areas. Regarding the characters, some are physical some are astral during what I've learned are referred to as out of body experiences.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Spirit Warrior - The other person, which I think you're referring to in your question, who was with me when I saw this very tall dark figure walking through the woods was my mother. If you are referring to something else, please clarify and I'll be happy to answer.

Regarding the question of what realm the characters exist, I'd break it down like this: All NPMR except the large reddish, purple entities, blue sizzling ball, sparkling spheres, tall, dark very tall human shaped being, people who watch on the street. The shadowy figures are both in the NPMR realm as well as the physical.

Regarding intent - That's why I'm seeking help in looking for answers. All I ever seem to get from the "characters" when I inquire is to continue seeking diligently and that the essence of my participation is both very secretive and very valuable (to whom, I'm not sure).

Regarding messages - There have been many, including a plethora of knowledge that I certainly did not acquire through my own effort. The one that hung me up the most was in a very large book that was the only object in circular stone building. I couldn't decipher any of the symbols or characters in the book except for one. I'm fairly well versed in foreign languages and scripts and this book got me. I had never seen any of this type of script as I turned the pages. One word at the top of one page did. It was the word Menesis. The words written below it were completely foreign in script. I thought it an anagram of sorts. Something to decode. The word in slavic tongues means to count by the moon. That didn't really mean anything to me and the only other meaningful word I could get out of it was siemens, which as far as I know is an electric company that makes electrical motors and various electrical components. I am still pretty much lost on that one.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RitesOfSpring

What are you seeking? If it is valldation of your atual experience? You either have that within yourself or you don't. No-one from an outside source can say to you. "Oh well that means xyz". They can maybe suggest what it means but it might be completely and utterly wrong..

FWIW i had a deeply profound experience in the presence of the disembodied torso of a female, that was made of rock and covered in moss. From which, a waterfall of pure silver light cascaded at a point where the neck was truncated...

The important thing was, not really how i saw what i saw, just the inate knowledge that. Ever since that exeperience, the price of sentience is to understand that. You are both nothing and everything at the same time. Insignificant and of universal importance all in one package...

Having said that i could be completely and utterly wrong about that. Maybe oneday something else will be revealed.?? Who knows?

All i would say is this. The moment you start believing something that omits all other possibilities, you open yourself to the possibility of a huge disappointment...

If you simply accept that "weirdsh*t happens", "weirdsh*t is actually, more often than not fun, rather than scarey", you will probably be OK.

I personally suspect, that if. The whole of mankind was just polite and understanding of eachother for 5 minutes it would change us profoundly.

If you still need somekind of validation consider this...

If the multiverse theory is the correct one, you have visited one and spoken to beings from it. They have told you it's "real" so why do you need to know from another source if it is?

I know i can never "prove" my experience but i also know i was a different person after it. Not better, not worse, just different...

Afterall, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it understand the concept of a horse trough...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
For the love of god I wish more "abductees" would read this book by this doctor... Dr. Rick Strassman.

His government/FDA/NIDA/DEA sanctioned lab-controlled studies produced effects in subjects so similar to "contact" -- that one has to wonder.

Go get this book, It might just explain how your own brain brought you/took you into these experiences--all explained via chemistry.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My *personal* belief is that experiences like abductions or what have you....are triggered by "alien intelligence"--using biological technology (neurotransmitters found in our own brains) to basically "re-tune" our version of reality to theirs--so we can see them and they us.

The chemicals in our own brain day in and day out are fascinating...One minor change and someone is termed "psychotic"...It's as if they are watching multiple channels of reality at the same time.

I belive these "aliens" are turning on parts of our brains that begin to pump out chemicals inside our own heads that "send us" to their realm.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
MystikMushroom - Thanks for your advice. I've read a bit about studies and/or experiments that have been able to show a "similarity" to NDE's or out of body experiences, but nothing yet on the full blown experience. Peaches are "similar" to nectarines, but peaches are never nectarines.

The conscious mind does not reside in the brain. The brain is merely the hub of connections, part of the media, through which the mind operates. By stimulating certain parts of the brain, scientists are only affecting the hub system and not the mind itself at the conscious level. We are electro-magnetic antennae at the level of DNA, RNA, cellular, the full body, etc. The signal field of which the conscious mind operates while the mind is present with the body (little secret - via the blood), is only sensitive to certain frequency bands. The sub-conscious as it is called, which should be the supra-conscious (better description) is not bound by the same frequency bands as the conscious. In fact, the realm of supra-conscious (sub-conscious) does not operate in any sort of frequency field at all. It operates outside of all fields in something higher beings refer to as cosmo bands which, when viewed from the perspective of this dimension, appears as simply void space or nothingness.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well, I've had my own experiences......I guess I haven't seen any 'greys' but I do know I’ve seen small little blue type beings.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does anyone know if the aliens anyone thinks they've met have only 4 fingers...?

If I’ve ever has any 'encounters' it is always while I’m in bed.....either awake or asleep......the first thing that happens is they paralyse me....(some how) and start doing what ever to me....for example......this morning...I’m guessing 7 o'clock.....i woke up.....and then tried to get back to sleep....a laid there for about 10 minutes....and then I’m paralysed...

Now most people will say it's sleep paralysis, but that can only happen when you wake from your sleep.......I was already awake when it happened......
So anyway.....while being paralysed i felt this tremendous blowing into my lwft ear...just like if you were to put a hair dryer to your ear for a few minutes, only there was no heat....just a lot of pressure.....it kept getting worse and worse.....i thought if this keeps going I’m going to go deaf.....

It then slowly from the left ear to the right ear while blowing the hair on my forehead as it moves to the right ear....and then began doing the same thing in my right ear, blowing really hard....I don't know if 'it' (as in the being....I’m guessing after all the times it's happened to me....all this is being done by someone or something....) was trying to clean out my ears lol, but for what ever reason......i wouldn't have a clue....it hurt both times and I really began to panic....by the way.....i wasn't able to open my eyes....or speak.....it’s a dreadful feeling.......

From what I can remember....it stopped after a while.....and i was free from the paralysing effect......my ears started to really hurt and were quite red.....
I'll leave it up to the experts to figure out how sleep paralysis can cause that...lol

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What one encounters due to the chemistry of our own brains is no less "real" than if an actual alien came through the door right now.

Anything we perceive to "experience" is quote, 'real'.

Sure, a dream isn't like a ford pickup...but a ford pickup isn't like a dream, is it?

Consciousness resides on higher levels than just the atom-based model we subscribe to currently.

We fully do not understand the neuro-science behind our own "soul".

I believe "higher/extra-dimensional" entities however, *do* understand this type of technology -- and use it go engage in "contact" with us humans.

We, because of our narrow-minded perceptions of what is "real" and "fake" either go into one of two camps.

1. It was a "real" physical experience

2. It was just a "hallucination or dream"

But if we actually think about human "experiences"--all of them are as valid as any other. The main difference in them are the context and the sensual perceptions available.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
MystikMushroom - Your quote - "What one encounters due to the chemistry of our own brains is no less "real" than if an actual alien came through the door right now." My question - Are you quite sure it is the chemistry of the brain that causes the experience and not the experience causing the changes in chemistry? A paradox like the chicken or the egg type scenario.... or possibly medicine is thinking about it in the wrong direction because it, the medical establishment, refutes (with their minds) the possibility of the existence of the soul or "mind"?

Your quote - "Anything we perceive to "experience" is quote, 'real'. My response - Everything we experience with perception IS quite real.

Sure, a dream isn't like a ford pickup...but a ford pickup isn't like a dream, is it? I missed your point on this one. The analogy is not similar but different as in peaches and nectarines. Sorry about that.

Your quote - "Consciousness resides on higher levels than just the atom-based model we subscribe to currently". My response - Then why are you lobbying folks to read a doctor's work who was experimenting with OBE and NDE type experiences via working the "matter" of the brain. Is not the brain based on atomic structure? If so, how can the mind exist here yet reside on a higher level?

Your quote - "We fully do not understand the neuro-science behind our own "soul". My response - "We?" "Neuro-science?" As if neuro science holds the keys to unlock this mystery?

Your quote "I believe "higher/extra-dimensional" entities however, *do* understand this type of technology -- and use it go engage in "contact" with us humans." My response - For nefarious purposes or otherwise? If they have this "technology", then one would assume they would also have the technology to just knock us out with a knocker-outer machine each night, one by one, take us to their cosmic school for 6 hours a night, and give us instruction"

We, because of our narrow-minded perceptions of what is "real" and "fake" either go into one of two camps.

1. It was a "real" physical experience

2. It was just a "hallucination or dream"

But if we actually think about human "experiences"--all of them are as valid as any other. My response - It seems you're arguing against your aforementioned points on this one. Why not instead of (1) or (2), we are being engaged both at the conscious level and at the supra-conscious level?

I appreciate your comments. They made me think. Cheers.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Andre18,
Sleep paralysis can be induced from a waking state. It is a frequent occurrence. The whirring sounds are a part of the energy levels in your energy body being raised for exit. This is a standard example of OOBE exit phenomena. The fact that you cannot see is another indicator. On a side note, one of the most effective methods for inducing an OOBE is during the early morning after you have slept. Many people use this technique as an exit strategy. Look into the subject a bit more and tell us what you think.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior
Andre18,
Sleep paralysis can be induced from a waking state. It is a frequent occurrence. The whirring sounds are a part of the energy levels in your energy body being raised for exit. This is a standard example of OOBE exit phenomena. The fact that you cannot see is another indicator. On a side note, one of the most effective methods for inducing an OOBE is during the early morning after you have slept. Many people use this technique as an exit strategy. Look into the subject a bit more and tell us what you think.

Waking state...yeah fantastic....only, I was already awake......explain how this blowing force in my ear can be caused by sleep paralysis...lol.....sometimes I can see, if I put enough effort into it, I can speak very faintly....the most frequent times this happens to me is at night at about 2-4 in the morning, these day time occurrences are quite rare....I don't really need to look into it more then I already have...

I’ve come to the conclusion through a 2 year period of this happening to me 2-3 times a week almost every week, and each time something completely different happens....has led me to believe that aliens are real, as real as you and me, and as well as the fact that I’ve had physical contact with these beings....I’ve literally reached out and felt them.....to tell me they're not real is a joke.....

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Still sounds exactly like an OOBE. Like I said, everyone is conscious when recognizing a paralysis state. Also, the most frequent occurrences of OOBE are after about 4 hours of sleep more or less. The paralysis state does not cause the sounds, they are independent phenomena. One follows the next. Incidentally, the sounds can be so loud and jarring that many people have trouble getting past them. Just because you are experiencing a NPMR does not mean it is not real...it is. Second, you will never hear me say that aliens are not real. I know for a fact they are.
Now, while it is simply my opinion that you are experiencing exit symptoms of an OOBE, I am 90% sure that is what it is. Try and research the subject a bit and try some techniques when this happens again. It will happen less as you get older unless you take charge of them.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
MystikMushroom
I'm also aware of the book by Dr. Strassman about the '___' substance which activates the pineal gland. The subject is highly interesting, but I have not read the book yet. It is still on my read list, as I can only read about 1 book a week. I did catch his interview on youtube. I remember him saying that he does believe in alien abduction, but also believes that some of the events are related to '___' being released from the pineal gland.

anyone interested here is part one of the '___' interview

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Dear simpler.

Many thanks for your response, I must say however, that your response the usual classical response given by "contactees" who claim to have be given a lot of "facts" about the Universe. That is, a response that's rather vague and inconclusive. While I agree that science doesn't have all the answers, but it doesn't know nothing. Let us examine the interesting points:

Originally posted by simpler
...In search of a unified theory, theory of everything, or whatever latest name the respected journals produce , one is led along by others who also assume that the generally recognized theories that physicists attempt to unify are correct in their basic form. Perhaps that is the reason for the elusive "unified theory" elusiveness, no?.

No. This is not how we do science. First and foremost the basic physical principles are fine. Quantum Mechanics allows us to build semi conductors and have this discussion, Newtonian dynamics allows us to send probes deep into space. The extensions of those theories when published in journals have been refereed, and the experiments/mathematics is reproducible. All accepted scientific ideas are testable, right up to General relativity and the standard model of Particle Physics. Now I accept that these are certainly not the last words on gravitation on particle physics, so perhaps your contacts can tell us how their "physics" works?

I do not find the same safeguards in Ufology. One could argue that your picture of the aliens your saw was the current accepted belief of what an alien is supposed to look like, and therefore perhaps have been led to reproduce it?

Perhaps all points of compartmentalized referenced theories are simply incorrect.

I don't think so, maybe a few are indeed incomplete, but as I have said, they're sufficient to keep our civilization running.

They rely on observations of effects by one or a combination of the five senses or on a measuring device that is designed with intent to detect what the inventor of that device reasoned that it would detect.

Another classical argument- science detects what it set out to look for. Of course it does! The whole point of Physics is to model the physical world we live in!!! That's what we want it for. The absolute fantastic thing is when we get things out of the theory we didn't expect- Helium on the Sun for example was detected in the Sun's spectre. This gas, not found on Earth, can now be manufactured here and understood. A big one up to Quantum Mechanics I think!

Science, like religion, is based on belief and nothing more my friend. Perhaps that is why there are as many scientific theories as there are denominations in religions.

Oh dear. This really is a serious misunderstanding (and sadly, very common) of the scientific principle. Science is about evidence and repeatability. If I do an experiment today I must get the same results tomorrow. My belief, for example, that the Universe is filled with life, is not enough. I couldn't write a paper on that, because I have no evidence to show for it!
I cannot go into a church and demand evidence for the existence God! No could I go and do experiments on God etc. That is simply not the point of religion. Religion works by faith, Science works by providing evidence for theories. I do not wish to suggest that people who do have a religion are fools either. I will not be goaded into a science vs. religion argument! I’m more than happy with the idea that people are entitled to believe whatever they wish.

You know, you might not find the world such a frightening place if you looked into how it worked

Relax, live, and love my child. You've a beautiful mind.

Insult by flattery? How very British...

[edit on 23-1-2008 by timelike]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Timelike, my friend. May my words never be construed as an insult to anyone, specifically not in a deviant way as to disguise insult in the form of flattery. I meant what I said. You've a beautiful mind. We merely reference our positions based on different perspectives.

Based on your rebuttal, your viewpoint is one of science, with perhaps no religious overtones if I may infer that in a non-insulting manner. Counterwise, mine, perhaps of lesser value, perhaps more, having found both religion and science, at least at this level of consciousness, to be based on faith or the limitations of senses or instruments, is one of experience based on multiple realities of experience as dosed to me by the cosmic order of things.

Regarding some earth-shattering gnosis from above, I claim none. I don't understand much of what has been introduced to me, but I know that it doesn't fit into the space of the newtonian, quantum, or religious realm of perspective. I see it like this. Let's say you're a scientist and another is religious. If you take the experience of say an OOBE, the scientist would look for a chemical, molecule, or particle that is responsible because that is his or her perspective. The religious fellow would see it as a divine revelation due to his mental filtering process through the lens of religion. People tend to see things through the perspectives of their beliefs, science and religion being only two of many possible viewpoints.

I can say this from my own experience. Neither science nor religion has taken me to another place at unimaginable speed to another world and back in the space of a couple of hours. Neither can the locate nor explain the mind. Their explanations of what mind is must be squeezed into the box of either scientific or religious explanation.

You, like me my friend, have the power to think for yourself. It doesn't mean you'll have all the answers, but you can prove to yourself that you don't need to counterfeit your thoughts piggybacked off of others. You are an independent, quite competent entity standing alone with such powerful mental abilities if you'll only believe you can do it solo.

You seem to follow the scientific path because you "believe" or have faith that it is sound based on observation limited to senses and instruments. Religious folks concur on a similar axiom.

Regarding the book you mentioned, it seems the Dr. claims via the scientific method that the chemistry producing molecule that he theorizes as being responsible for the NDE/OOBE experience is established in that order. Did he, using the scientific method, disqualify the possibility that the experience did not induce the molecule to produce the chemical. I would guess the answer to that is a resounding no because most scientists, in their design of experiment, would expect the molecule to release a chemistry that induced the experience. Does he allude to a DOE that incorporates an experience preceding the chemistry change? I would guess no on that as well. You see, science designs experiments that tend to give them the results they would predict. It's like playing Texas with Criss Angel. You just know who's going to win even if you're holding five aces before the final bets are placed. You're staring at five aces until the money drops and then, whammo, you look down and your aces are gone and you just bet the Mercedes SL600. You look up from your hand and in the time it takes a single particle to go through two slits, you see Criss smiling with a faint reflection of your five aces in his hands. So much for predictability. Cheers!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
My friend Timelike - I forgot to mention...I don't believe I've been contacted by Aliens. Alien entities as such are nothing more than a mental construct created via media images and can only exist if you think that we are the only intelligent creatures in in the universe. If you accept that we are not, then nothing can be construed as alien. Misunderstood due to lack of experience and mental perspective, yes, but truly alien....Nah.

Imagine yourself a wild, intelligent honeybee out in the forest and then one day............you see some scientist looking man or woman with a net over their head passing by as you gather nectar. No bee in your colony has ever seen such a creature and there is a creepy, confused, misunderstood feeling that something "alien" has arrived. Is it a danger to the hive? Is it dangerous to you as Mr. or Mrs. Bee? Should you release your attack chemistry to warn the hive and become a martyr yourself? Is it benign? From the netted scientist's perspective, the scientist shares the same planet as you, the friendly bee. The scientist knows this, but the bee does not. The bee sort of short circuits mentally and is contemplating whether or not this is Orson Bee's War of the Worlds his great grandbee told him would come some day based on his belief in the Hole-ee-Beeble. It's the perspective and to the bee, that's all that counts. To the scientist, they'll soon discover that bees can be a rather apocalyptic brood!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Simpler,

A few more points, though I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on our interpretations on the physical Universe, since it is clear we don't seem to find a common ground! Anyhow, the points of interest:

..say you're a scientist and another is religious. If you take the experience of say an OOBE, the scientist would look for a chemical, molecule, or particle that is responsible because that is his or her perspective.

This would rather depend on what the scientist was. In many cases for something like a an OBE is quite an event and requires more that just chemistry. Psychiatry, Neurosciences even Psychology. Physics is just one part of the whole picture, which, when interwtined give us the Physical world within which we live.

I can say this from my own experience. Neither science nor religion has taken me to another place at unimaginable speed to another world and back in the space of a couple of hours. Neither can the locate nor explain the mind.

This is true at the moment. But who is to say what will happen in the next hundred years? I have colleagues who work on FLT travel maybe one day someone will solve the problem. You see human history seems to be full of mystics and the like who hide in the shadows where the light of science cannot yet reach. In the early days such people gave dire warnings about falling of the edge of the Earth, or travelling to fast, Adamski's delightful Venus turned out to be a hell hole etc. So for the moment, as we cannot travel to other worlds, and since we do not know for sure where the mind is, mystics and so on are free to hide there. But beware, the march of science is quick and unstoppable, better look for a new place soon!

You, like me my friend, have the power to think for yourself. It doesn't mean you'll have all the answers, but you can prove to yourself that you don't need to counterfeit your thoughts piggybacked off of others.

I certainly don't have all the answers. Not even a tenth of them, and neither do you. But we have one thing in common, most of our ideas and beliefs have been handed down to us and can be read virtually word for word in texts/online posts.

You seem to follow the scientific path because you "believe" or have faith that it is sound based on observation limited to senses and instruments. Religious folks concur on a similar axiom.

Another misunderstanding of the scientific principle. Mathematics is axiomatic not science.

Regarding the book you mentioned, it seems the Dr. claims via the scientific method that the chemistry producing molecule that he theorizes as being responsible for the NDE/OOBE experience is established in that order.

I didn't mention any books!

You see, science designs experiments that tend to give them the results they would predict. It's like playing Texas with Criss Angel. You just know who's going to win even if you're holding five aces before the final bets are placed.

I think you should like into the history of science a little more my boy! There you will find many experiements which did not agree with predicition and challenged our view of the physical world. I will give two important examples:

1. Rutherford and the Alpha Particle Experiement: Ruther ford took a beam of alpha particles and fired them at gold foil. Under the prevailing Plumb pudding model of the atom the particles should have gone straight through with only a few minor deflections. This did not happen!!! They observed some enormous deflections, some more than 90 degrees. There was only one possible explanation, and the structure of the atom, devloped by Bohr was born, all thanks to an experiment which did not give the results which it was designed.

2. Mercury's orbit & Perihelion Precession: For years it was observed the planets moved in elliptical orbits about the sun. Newtonian gravity came along and explained to some extent why this was the case. Through this we were able to discover Neptune and Pluto, but one thing Newtonian gravity got wrong was Mercury's orbit. This worlds orbit precesses (like a spriograph) around the Sun. It was only General Relativity that could explain the effects, and not only explain them, but, given the right numbers could accuratley predict the off-set of Mercuries orbit at each pass.

There are dozens of other examples, but I think i've made that point that science did not start out and continue to design experiments which naturally worked and we built on from that. Rather it was based on experiments not giving the right results and investigating why lead us into some profound insights into the physical world.

through two slits, you see Criss smiling with a faint reflection of your five aces in his hands. So much for predictability. Cheers!

Ah the famous Young's double slits as "The problem" for quantum mecahnics. You should keep up to date a bit more, that's now pretty well understood (and I bet a clever boy like you can link particle wave duality with science & religion?).

Right, time for some tea, is the kettle free...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join