It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When You Just Can't Quit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
:bnghd:

So I started this second job at a restaurant that is a few doors from my house, thinking I could make a few extra bones, and it would be close enough not to matter. However, it turns out that I despise the job, and want to quit.

Easy, no?

No.

So I go in yesterday, and the manager is drunk and tells me he cannot talk business right now. Fine, after my normal job, I'll show up that night. Except he cannot talk about anything negative right now, he's had a bad night, and he disappears...

So I end up showing for my shift today, because of the fact that he is counting on me to be there, and I don't ever want to just "no show" on someone, as that has happened to me in the past and it sucks. So I wait until the end of my shift, when I have everything finished, to tell him that I am quitting this job. Guess what? He left out the back door, and won't be back until later.

:bnghd:

He is obviously avoiding me at this point, and obviously knows something is up. This is beginning to feel like a Seinfeld episode in which I am continuously trying to leave my job, and I can't ever get a chance to do it. I even tried to be a sucky waiter today, and break every rule I could in the house. I was still told I was doing a good job.

Am I the only one that has dealt with a boss like this, or am I just the lucky one to find a looney toon that won't let me quit!?!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

However, it turns out that I despise the job, and want to quit.

Life's too short man. Leave a note in the cash till, I'm sure he interested in that.

You don't want to be a "no show" but the boss already is. You must be a helluva good employee for a guy to go to those lengths to keep you on.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Intrepid beat me to it. Resignation letter is my advice. Say you're doing one more shift and then you're gone. Keep a copy in case he slanders you in the future though.

What a freak.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It is freaky, I appreciate the replies ya'll. That will be my next attempt, after which would simply be not to show up ever again. *shrug*

I'll let ya know.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Wow! I agree with Intrepid and MM here buddy.Honestly he sounds like a horrible boss, and I wouldn't stress about it.
Good luck to you!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Wow, these wonderful people above me beat me to it mate! Type up a letter and give it to him saying your done. Then your done! Keep us posted mate!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Finished! Woot!

I went last night and simply left the envelope in the slot where you would swipe a credit card, knowing fully well it would have to be taken out. I didn't see him around so I simply left.

Today I called him up and asked him if he received my note. He said he did, and he wishes me the best of luck and I am always welcome to come back if interested (no I'm not thank you).

I cannot believe how much that stressed me out, and thanks ya'll for the added support in helping me know I am not the crazy one (in only this situation, mind you.)

I never want to leave a job on bad terms, so I'm happy this is final.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Good for you! Now, go find a job you actually like!
Good luck to you buddy!

top topics

join