It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Questions about EVP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm interested in EVP and had a few questions about making one.
For starters what sort of recorder is suitable, U tried once using a digital one on my phone but had no luck.
And is it only old houses it work in? My house is new and there is no chance of haunting. Would it be possible for "spirits" to move in?

I realise some may think that it is a logical explanation and they are not "spirits" and I have not decided what I believe either way so if you could please share a link explaning EVP or some evidence then I would be more then happy to take a look at it. Also why I believe it may be spirits is because I haven't heard any voices on the recordings meaning its not a phenonamen that happens just anywhere and may only occur in old houses.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
First...
EVPs are not only heard in old houses. I have gotten an EVP both at a cemetery, and at an old prison camp locaton.
Second...
Digital voice recorders are the best, and just because you don't pick one up the frist time, doesn't mean that your house isn't haunted.
No spirits don't just move in, but the land that the house was built on might be haunted. Objects can carry spirit energy too.
I would suggest finding out what was on your land before your house was there.
here's a link about EVPs too.
www.ghost-investigators.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You can simply use the recorder on your computer to record EVP or download Wavepad.

Just buy a cheap computer mic from Radio Shack and plug it into the back of your computer.

When starting off, it's good to have some kind of background noise. Turn your tv set on and turn it to a static station for a white noise background. Don't turn it up too loud though... just loud enough so can barely hear it.

Then open Wavepad or your computer recorder, turn it on and say that you could like to call upon your friends and family in spirit and that you would be honored if they could drop by to say hi... then let it record for bit longer and on playback, listen to it to see if there are any anomalous voices on it anywhere.

I get my best recordings at night -- most people do. Also, the best recordings come in just before thunder storms in the summer.

I got my first EVP recording back in 1995 and I've been recording on a regular basis since then. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Palasheea
When starting off, it's good to have some kind of background noise. Turn your tv set on and turn it to a static station for a white noise background. Don't turn it up too loud though... just loud enough so can barely hear it.

I disagree with this statement. The background noise on a TV channel will have influxes of random other channels due to electrical storms, engress, bad cabling, etc. The "voices" you may here could be audio transmissions picked up on the static channel.

An EVP can be picked up using, as stated above, a cheap Radio Shack tape recorder. Do not reuse the same tapes, as pre-recorded voices can also come through as EVP. Eliminate as much contamination as possible to ensure you are getting what you think it is.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If you can for best quality use an external microphone. You're less likely to get interference from the recorder itself or potential other electrical machinery mixing with the recorder itself. Background sounds are okay, but it is important that you are aware of these so that you will recognize what sounds are natural and what sounds are EVP.

About computer recording:

You can substitute a computer for the tape recorder if you wish. Your computer should have an audio input jack, speakers, headphone jack and sound player application of some form. Windows comes with a Sound Recorder application that will work. A sound editor like Audition or Audacity is most popular because these applications allow for easy amplification, filtering and reversing of the sound files.

You can either make the recording on a tape recorder and then play the tape into the computer for review, editing and storage, or attach a microphone directly to the computer and use the sound editor as a tape recorder.

When transferring into a computer, make sure the computer is set for “Line In” recording in “Sound and Multimedia” in the “Control Panel” of your Personal Computer. If you must take sound from the “Earphone” jack of your recorder, consider purchasing an “attenuating cord” to match the difference in resistance between the two jacks. Radio Shack can help.

As for digital recorders, you don't need to always look for good quality ones when wanting EVP's. Some of the older and less expensive ones are very suitable. Why? The less expensive ones use lower sample rates which in turn create a bit more noise. some theories suggest that ghosts can use this noise to create their voices.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well, I don't use any background noise myself because EVP comes in for me without it.

But when you're just starting out, I suggest using some kind of white noise background just to get off and running. The spirits often times need some kind of noise to grab onto in order to allow themselves to be heard.

Also, I've been recording for many years now and my area of expertise is in the ITC field so I know what I'm talking about.

Once the beginner starts getting voices coming in, eventually they will not have to use any background noise of any sort because those EVP will be able to be heard on their own without it.

The beginner can simply use their computer recorder when starting off. But that person wants to record outside of their home, then a digital recorder would be a good investment. Or an analog one is fine too.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon

Originally posted by Palasheea

I disagree with this statement. The background noise on a TV channel will have influxes of random other channels due to electrical storms, engress, bad cabling, etc. The "voices" you may here could be audio transmissions picked up on the static channel.

That's true of course so you have to watch out for that. If there's some of that interference then switch over to another in between station that doesn't have it. The same with tuning a in between station on a radio to get the static noise. But just mentioning some white noise sources one can use to get off and running.

Also, turning on your vacuum cleaner is another good source for a white noise background. Or even turning on your microwave oven -- lol, one woman out there even uses her coffeemaker!! She's had a website up for years now on the internet... check out Coffeepot Voices.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arawn
If you can for best quality use an external microphone. You're less likely to get interference from the recorder itself or potential other electrical machinery mixing with the recorder itself. Background sounds are okay, but it is important that you are aware of these so that you will recognize what sounds are natural and what sounds are EVP.

Actually, in my opinion, the beginner is better off using a cheap mic because once again, the spirits need some kind of noise to grab onto in order to form their voices to be head. That electrical interference has a noise all its own and it's a very good source for the spirits to grab onto to to form their voices to be heard better.

When recording at your computer, even your computer fan gives some of its own 'white noise' for the spirits to use to form their voices to be heard on playback. Just thought I would mention this because any kind of electrical noise is a very good white noise source.

Also... if you have close friend or relative who passed over sometime 5 years ago, set their photo on a table and light up a nice scented candle and ask that that person come in for you. It really does help to contact someone close to you who is on the other side where that person can also help you contact other loved ones too!

Also, beware of information on the internet on how to get EVP voices. There are a lot of people out there who are giving advice who themselves can't get EVP!

I know one guy in another forum who claims to be an equipment expert but he himself can't record EVP for some reason...yet, because he claims to be an expert in electronic equipment and is an audio technician, he's been giving advice on how to get EVP yet, he's never been able to record one!

So go with the people who are getting clear EVP voices coming in and ask them what their techniques are... if any... most of the good ones just turn on any old recorder and get voices coming in no matter how cheap their equipment is. It's really more about the resonance between the person who is recording that those spirits who are working with them. It take a little bit of time to get the rough edges worked out though before one starts getting clear EVP but then again there's that beginner's luck thing where some people are just real naturals at getting those spirit voices coming in right away.

Also... Wavepad is better than Audacity. Audacity is too quirky.

new topics

top topics

join