It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys pay for sex: A new study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Monkeys pay for sex: A new study

www.usatoday.com

Male macaque monkeys pay for sex by grooming females, according to a recent study that suggests the primates may treat sex as a commodity.
"In primate societies, grooming is the underlying fabric of it all," Dr. Michael Gumert, a primatologist at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, said in a telephone interview Saturday.

"It's a sign of friendship and family, and it's also something that can be exchanged for sexual services," Gumert said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I found this research fascinating. I always wondered why these monkeys groomed their partners, so I guess it all makes sense now. it was for sex. Do you think it's wrong or just natural to their species and does it happen with humans? In my opinion it does. I can't tell you how many times I had to be nice to my Ex in order to be accepted. And if this happens in nature..then it must happen in humans, but we failed to accept it.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Dinner, dancing, drinks, flowers, chocs, sexy undies... Even listening to a woman moan about her crappy day at the office *Yawn* Yes darling I really care... *Put out or get out* that's terrible, she said what!! Oh come here let me make it all better *Cue the funky music*

No matter how you play it you pay for it.

And remember time is money, so get your moneys worth!!

MonKey

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Ah that's my Monkey..predictable.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Grooming is social glue in all primate cultures. In human culture "grooming" has been replaced with gossip.

I'm not surprised by this at all. You gotta give to get. Go, monkeys.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Grooming is social glue in all primate cultures. In human culture "grooming" has been replaced with gossip.

I would say that is true to an extent but not entirely. Why do you think so many women get so picky about their hairdresser? Not to mention almost everyone loves a good rub down. whether we like it or not we are still a speicies that responds to physical contact and the tendency is for us to have more physical contact with the ones we are closer with. But it just goes to show you that no matter what you do one way or the other you do pay for getting it.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm not saying that people don't like physical contact, but that we don't constantly touch & groom one another all day long like monkeys and apes do. That function has been replaced by gossip.

Think about it: how much physical "grooming" do you do per day versus how much discussion of other people, politics, weather, etc?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In the African nation of the Congo lives the Bonobo Monkey. This primate shares 98% of their DNA with humans.

Bonobo's participate in elaborate sexual activities. They enjoy orgies, and bisexuality. They are the only known non-human to engage in missionary sex.

You can google them or get a quick idea from this article.

abcnews.go.com...

...and remember we all pay for sex in one way or another. I often wish I could get away with a little grooming and bug eating!

Becker

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

im not a good example because for me it breaks down to about a 50/50 exchange. But that is just the way I am.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm going by studies by primatologists when I make this reference. But there're always exceptions ...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Oh I don't feel that they are completely off, because naturally the fact we can talk to each other would bring the actual need for those types of interactions down. I just disagree with the thought of it being a total replacement. But I also know from my personal experience just picking women up when I go out that the more actual physical contact I make while we are chatting it up increase my odds of seeing her in the morning.

new topics

top topics

join