It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Soldiers killed subduing suicide bomber at Army Day rally

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Soldiers killed subduing suicide bomber at Army Day rally


www.cnn.com

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Three Iraqi soldiers may have helped avoid further casualties when they subdued a suicide bomber Sunday at a celebration in central Baghdad, the U.S. military said.

An Iraqi soldier looks over the scene of a suicide bombing at an Army Day celebration Sunday in Baghdad.

All three soldiers, along with four police officers and four civilians, were killed and 17 people were wounded in the explosion at the Army Day rally, an Interior Ministry official said.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
When is this madness going to stop? It is blatant disregard for rational and society is doing nothing to prevent it, but actually helping to enable it.

Bless these fine men who disregarded all selfish motives and did was what at their instinctual cores, which was to do what is right.

What is it going to take for humanity to return back to the core? Just because they fight like animals doesn't mean we should continue to fight them, so that we may reveal their animal tendencies. Perhaps we should focus on taming them through respect and compromise.

Before you say it, has it really ever been tried earnestly?

AAC

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-1-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]



posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Another sad story from a destroyed nation.

It's far too late for respect to be taken at face value, and the only kind of compromise is the "am I getting more" kind.

Sad, but the way it is!

MonKey



posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Perhaps we should focus on taming them through respect and compromise.

I honestly think the only way to govern those animals is the way it was proven to work in the past, dictatorship. there was less of them dying when Sahdamm was in power. That is the only way to govern a country of savages with an iron fist.



posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
i do so love the words used `taming them` and `savages`

which is exactly why it won`t happen - you can`t `tame` them with respect when the word ` tame` is so derogatory in the first place


did the US `tame` the blacks then? is that what your saying?

and savages? there still fighting a war - underground resistance vs and illegal invader who has wrecked there country and stealing there resources.

oh wait the US calls it `the war on terror` - when the Iraq`s call it defending there homes

teh frnech resistance werre fighting teh germans in ww2 - are they savages then when they blew up colaborators?



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation
 


'Kill them with kindness' eh?

The solutions we have come up with so far haven't done anything positive, so why don't we try something a little bit out of the box?

We can continue to do more damage by staying in Iraq, why can't we just leave? Oh wait, corporations are making too much damn money. I forgot.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
i do so love the words used `taming them` and `savages`


So what do you call people that set off bombs in crowded market places?

Are terrorists that do something like that, the bombing of soft targets, really "striking a blow for freedom"? How is that fighting against the US?



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
[We can continue to do more damage by staying in Iraq, why can't we just leave? Oh wait, corporations are making too much damn money. I forgot.


No, if we just up and left now, there would be a power vacuum that Iran would love to fill.

Leaving now would be as big a mistake as going into that country we way we did.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So what kind of solution do you offer for staying in Iraq?

Continue to let the Middle East turn into a worse hellhole?

I understand the side stating we should fix what we started and Iran taking over, but what other options do we have?

Our troops will eventually all die, it is only a matter of time. We cannot keep throwing money and soldiers into Iraq. We are not succeeding in bringing 'democracy' or whatever else the pro-war people say at the moment we are doing there.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
army day!!!??? what the F$%^ is that? I know! lets all celebrate joining together to kill our neighbours... man... no disrespect to the soldiers that gave their lives... heroes all... i bet they'd rather have been at home with their loved ones celebrating family day then protecting haliburton's pipelines and celebrating the mutlilation of another culture... makes me ill just thinking about it



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
So what kind of solution do you offer for staying in Iraq?

Continue to let the Middle East turn into a worse hellhole?

I understand the side stating we should fix what we started and Iran taking over, but what other options do we have?

Our troops will eventually all die, it is only a matter of time. We cannot keep throwing money and soldiers into Iraq. We are not succeeding in bringing 'democracy' or whatever else the pro-war people say at the moment we are doing there.


Just leaving sure isn't going to fix anything, that's for sure.

Mobile training teams are getting their army trained to take over the job. When they show they can do the job, we'll start pulling our troops out.

No democracy? I think they have a lot more going for them democracy-wise, than they did when Saddam was still in power.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   



Leaving now would be as big a mistake as going into that country we way we did.

especially if america wants to keep driving all those SUV's!



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65
 


Big difference between the tiny minority who blow up civilians and the population as a whole. The poster, Ben Miller, who wanted to "tame" the "savages", was implying the whole nation was such.

Sounds like 19th Century imperialism rather than 21st Century enlightenment.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell
army day!!!??? what the F$%^ is that? I know! lets all celebrate joining together to kill our neighbours... man... no disrespect to the soldiers that gave their lives... heroes all... i bet they'd rather have been at home with their loved ones celebrating family day then protecting haliburton's pipelines and celebrating the mutlilation of another culture... makes me ill just thinking about it


A lot of countries have "Army Day". Or at least they did at one time.

Well, I imagine they would rather be at home with their families, but maybe they thought that jumping on that suicide bomber was what they had to do. Maybe they thought that their sacrifice was worth their deaths.

And they were protecting their own culture, not someone else's or Haliburton.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by never_tell
 


Army Day is an Iraqi National Holiday and was since before the invasion (Since 1921 in fact)

I find it offensive that you decry their national holidays, honouring soldiers and so on, when the US has about 4 holiday's doing just that. Who are you to decide what holidays they should have?

[edit on 9/1/08 by stumason]



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell



Leaving now would be as big a mistake as going into that country we way we did.

especially if america wants to keep driving all those SUV's!


Oh yeah, you're right. We're staying so I can keep driving my Nissan Armada. Really short trips, with plenty of sudden stops.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
well it's obvious that they thought it was more important lose their lives... as i suggest; heroes...

personally, i find the idea of celebrating war repulsive... and btw stumason, i'm not an american... and 4 days of celebrating the arming of the young is just more "arm flexing" than appropriate IMO

jerico... not sure what a Nissan Armada is, but i'm assuming it's big and consumes a lot of fuel?... thank allah for OPEC



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell
personally, i find the idea of celebrating war repulsive... and btw stumason, i'm not an american... and 4 days of celebrating the arming of the young is just more "arm flexing" than appropriate IMO


Army Day doesn't celebrate war, just the sacrifice the Army makes.

And yes, the Armada is a huge, OPEC-friendly SUV.



posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

When is this madness going to stop? It is blatant disregard for rational and society is doing nothing to prevent it, but actually helping to enable it.

Bless these fine men who disregarded all selfish motives and did was what at their instinctual cores, which was to do what is right.

What is it going to take for humanity to return back to the core? Just because they fight like animals doesn't mean we should continue to fight them, so that we may reveal their animal tendencies. Perhaps we should focus on taming them through respect and compromise.

Before you say it, has it really ever been tried earnestly?

AAC

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-1-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]


Yeah throw flowers at em. Put some lovely kumbaya music over their radios too.
Here's a real world scenario,
The only solution is to decimate Iran to a weaker position than Iraq is in. Russia and China can rebuild them so no terrorists take control and we will build Iraq. Point the finger over at Syria and tell them they are next if they interfere by us decimating their country and giving it to Isreal. These people only understand force to get them to play nicely.
All of the combative force we have been facing in Iraq since its fall has been made possible by a strong Iranian medeling.
China already has plans of occupying N Korea after we devastate them with air strikes to cripple their millitay and govt. and infrastructure. Can be done in a matter of days. No more Axis of Evil and a secure steady supply of oil for the worlds economies will continue to flow. Russia is looking to regain stature on the world scene and China also. They all get to play a part. Europe plays no part, other than we pull out all missile defenses from their countries as a concession to Russia.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join