It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM envisions driverless cars on horizon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

GM envisions driverless cars on horizon

news.yahoo.com

Cars that drive themselves — even parking at their destination — could be ready for sale within a decade, General Motors Corp. executives say.

"This is not science fiction," Larry Burns, GM's vice president for research and development, said in a recent interview.
GM plans to use an inexpensive computer chip and an antenna to link vehicles equipped with driverless technologies. The first use likely would be on highways; people would have the option to choose a driverless mode while they still would control the vehicle on local streets, Burns said.

He said the company plans to test driverless car technology by 2015 and have cars on the road around 2018.

The most significant obstacles facing the vehicles could be human rather than technical: government regulation, liability laws, privacy concerns and people's passion for the automobile and the control it gives them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
While interesting I would rather the article be titled "GM envisions gasless cars on horizon" but you can't win 'em all.
Looks like microchips and privacy could be a big concern with this type of tech.
Would you give up your privacy for a driverless car?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
That and how do you bust the drunks?

They'll claim, "But it washn't me offisher, it was the car, it was doing the driving!"

Actually, this technology can't get here soon enough, IMHO.

Imagine no more road rage induced insanity!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

yes I agree but the article states a loss of privacy, do you know how it affects privacy? Does it read our minds?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Great ....driverless cars equiped with wi-fi( i guess wi-fi v3)aha i don't tell you the mess that this will bring in the highways.
I can get a clear picture already : 12 years old hackers parked on a side of the highway trying to crash your car and steal your data 'n stuff

general motors..ideas for a better life

new topics

top topics

join