It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Low-energy bulbs harmful to some

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Report: Low-energy bulbs harmful to some

www.upi.com

LONDON, Jan. 5 (UPI) -- British researchers warn environmentally friendly, energy-saving, light bulbs could cause skin cancer and trigger migraines. The bulbs' light, which is more intense than traditional incandescent bulbs, also can exacerbate eczema and other skin problems, The Daily Telegraph reported Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
First off, I didn't even know the British government planned on phasing out incandescent bulbs. Is this true? I wonder if that is going to happen here in the US. There is a very high rate of skin cancer here. I am sure there will be another development in the light bulb industry if it is proven significantly that these low energy bulbs can cause cancer. I do believe that they could trigger migraines. Light in general is not fun when you are getting a migraine.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Firstly, i am from the UK and our goverment is trying to can the old lightbulbs to try to get us to our 10% energy cut. Secondly, i read the article about the new bulbs being harmful and as for the argument that it triggers migraines, i believe that not to be true. I think this beacuse my aunt suffers terribly from migraines, the list of things that triggers them is almost endless. However, our house is fully equipped with these bulbs and she has never complained of her head being in any sort of pain in the presence of these bulbs.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The U.S. has already passed a law to phased out fluorescent bulbs by 2012-2014

Under the measure, all light bulbs must use 25 percent to 30 percent less energy than today’s products by 2012 to 2014. The phase-in will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014. By 2020, bulbs must be 70 percent more efficient.

www.environmentalleader.com...

This is really weird these bulbs the fluorescent ones (the Led ones are safe but triple the price) contain chemicals inside them like mercury
that are very harmful to your health so save the planet harm the people is the new measure..

Respectfully
GEO

[edit on 1/6/2008 by geocom]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Sale of incandescent lightbulbs is going to be banned in Australia in 2 years. I love 'em, the light they give out is warm, rather than the harsh and intense stuff that comes out of fluro tubes.
I was reading that the switch to energy saving bulbs in the UK is going to save 5 million tonnes of CO2 annually, which is a joke considering a single powerplant here in Victoria, Aust, emits 17m tonnes of the stuff every year anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

On your point that they contain mercury, in the UK, our goverment is trying to come up with safer ways to dispose of them so mercury isnt thrown into our landfill sites
could be nasty.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shmoo006

as is the U.S. government but you can bet that you and I will be the ones to
pay for it with more taxes and crap like that..

I think it is great that they save energy but I am skeptical at the least that they
will be successful in the venture of safer chemicals,, maybe instead they should be focusing on Organic LED which we already have and they pose no threat to the environment at all..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Yeah good point, but is seems they have put all their eggs into the 'energy saving bulbs' basket now, doesnt look like their going to go back on that for a good decade at least

new topics

top topics

join