It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Kerry Wins Big in South; Clark in Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Much to the chagrin of his southern opponents, Sen. John Kerry coasted easily to victory tonight in the southern states of Virginia and Tennessee, and closer to the Democratic nomination to run against President Bush. His southern wins right on the heels of weekend victories in Washington, Michigan and Maine are putting to rest for many claims that only a southerner can appeal to southern voters in the national election this November.

CNN.com

Struggling candidates Sen. John Edwards, who garnered a comfortable second place finish in Virginia, and retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark both banked on strong showings if not outright victories in what was once considered their last best shot for continued relevance. Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who was a distant second in the weekend's contests conceded today's elections banking instead on the Wisconsin primary coming February 17. Edwards has already joined Dean in Wisconsin.

All remaining candidates now claim to be looking ahead to "Super Tuesday" with 11 state primaries on March 2, with the possible exception of Clark that just cancelled a fundraiser previously scheduled for tomorrow in Houston.

Increasingly as Kerry chalks up win after win, even nationally, and the nominee becomes more apparent, one must wonder why Dean, Edwards and Clark continue. A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll among registered Democrats surveyed over the weekend showed Kerry was the choice of 52 percent, compared with 14 percent for Dean, 13 percent for Edwards and 10 percent for Clark. Despite only netting a handful of delegates and admittedly not being a likely nominee, Rev. Al Sharpton may have best explained the rationale for continuance even in defeat considering that only a thorough vetting of front-runner Kerry, and bringing all wings of the democratic party to the table will best prepare the nominee to challenge President Bush. If Clark withdraws tonight, the logic behind such will certainly be based on funding, not desire.

Bush has been making the campaign circuit the past week defending himself from accusations levied by the Democratic candidates. The most recent approval ratings show some improvement since David Kay's bomb that Saddam Hussein, in fact, had no WMD's. As of Sunday, when Bush played to Meet the Press, 52 percent approved of the President's job performance, compared to 49 percent the week earlier. The effect of today's National Guard record release by the White House in response to charges of Bush not fulfilling his duties has not yet been measured.

Related ATSNN Links:
White House Releases Bush Service Records
Kerry Pulls Ahead with Weekend Wins

Related ATS Discussions:
O'Reilly Skeptical of Bush WMD Claims

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ha Ha it becomes the battle of the bonesmen. The controllers must be laughin at the people now!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah conspiracy theorists are going to love this election.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Kerry's standing has strengthened not only against his Democratic rivals but also against Bush. For the first time, he clearly defeats the president in a head-to-head matchup, 53% to 46%. By 63% to 24%, those surveyed say Kerry would be a good president.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Early Virgina returns are showing Kerry may double Edwards vote, and Edwards will double or triple the vote for third place Clark.

That signal that Clark's fundraiser for tomorrow has been cancelled is a big clue. Once they call Tennessee for Kerry; Clark's going to drop out.

You can bet on it. I'll be SHOCKED if he doesn't!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ill say it again, these polls don't mean &^%$. This happens almost every 4 years.

To illustrate: At about this point before the 1984 election, the polls gave President Reagan a 47% job approval rating. Earlier, Reagan had set a modern record for the lowest presidential approval rating after two years in office: 41%.

In July 1984, a respected poll said Reagan was trailing Democratic challenger Walter Mondale by two percentage points. But in November, Reagan defeated Mondale 59% to 40%, one of the 20th century's biggest landslides. The job approval ratings of the first President Bush in 1991 and Bill Clinton in 1995 also were useless in assessing their prospects for re-election a year later.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29
www.usatoday.com...

Kerry's standing has strengthened not only against his Democratic rivals but also against Bush. For the first time, he clearly defeats the president in a head-to-head matchup, 53% to 46%. By 63% to 24%, those surveyed say Kerry would be a good president.

That was last week. It's back to dead heat 49 to 48 in favor of Bush with Bush approval numbers back up to 52%: www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Kerry is a good choice by the dems, but I personally believe lots of democrats will "hold" their votes for Kerry this election knowing that if he is elected that Clinton will not have a chance at running in 08'. Personally I would rather see Hillary in 08' than Kerry in 04'. Im not saying this will be true, but it is my belief and have heard it spoken several times by various other individuals.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You're next Dubya.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
He's third and out, now second and "in"???

Clark just told Fox News he's not sure about dropping out now, and hopes to stay in the race until at least Wisconsin.

No word on whether or not the Houston fundraiser is back on.

This guy has two answers for everything! Just ask him 5 minutes apart.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I have tickets for the debate on the 15th at Marquette Univ. I can't wait for the chance to ask some of these guys some questions. I only hope my questions will be picked. Clark has waffled since he stated he was running. He is going to stay in to try and challenge the Kerry campaign in the hope that Clark's friend Hillary can run in 08'. Again thats just MO.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
I have tickets for the debate on the 15th at Marquette Univ. I can't wait for the chance to ask some of these guys some questions. I only hope my questions will be picked. Clark has waffled since he stated he was running. He is going to stay in to try and challenge the Kerry campaign in the hope that Clark's friend Hillary can run in 08'. Again thats just MO.

There's still a chance Kerry will ask Hillary to be his VP in which case she's on deck 2008 if they lose 2004, or in line 2012 no matter what. That's her smart move; that and telling Clark to get out now. Phone calls are being made right now.

Hillary is not beneath a Vice Presidency, after watching one term Senator Edwards get beat. She knows the score, and is currently weighing a NY Senate re-election bid against a VP bid. Which keeps her more in the game?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
RANT, I'll pay you a Peso if Kerry has Hillary as VP. I just do not see that happening. I don't think she'd do it. No unless Kerry has a clear chance of winning by the time the VP candidate is chosen, which he probably won't. I mean, Bush will have pulled Osama out of his hole by then and it'll be all over.

Even if this doesn't happen, I think Hillary is banking on 2008. Nah, if Kerry has any sense he'll pick Edwards or some other southerner. Bob Graham maybe?

*grumble* Stupid south and it's stupid "must have a bumpkin in the White House rule" *grumbe*

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think you're right Flinx that it's not in Kerry's best interest; but I was speaking from Hillary's perspective.

She'd kill somebody to be the VP literally, and she won't have a chance in 2008 if Kerry wins 2004 without her. The 2008 ticket would be Kerry/Edwards too!

She's looking at Kerry numbers now and getting nervous. She's also looking at Edwards and not wanting to go against him in 2012 with fresh VP experience under his belt.

Again, not saying it will happen. Just what's probably going on in her mind.

By the way, Clark took to the stage in Tennesse tonight shortly after coming in third in the state for the Democratic nominee as well as a distant third in Virginia to announce his continuance in the race.

That's about as good a sign as any that Hillary and Kerry have made NO DEAL as Hillary's man Clark continues on. So again, you're probably right Flinx.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
He is probably waiting to see what the White House digs up on Kerry.

Heck, they "dug-up" W's pay stubs!

They probably know there is a small bomb ready to go off, and they are waiting for the fall-out!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
He's third and out, now second and "in"???

Clark just told Fox News he's not sure about dropping out now, and hopes to stay in the race until at least Wisconsin.

No word on whether or not the Houston fundraiser is back on.

This guy has two answers for everything! Just ask him 5 minutes apart.

NOW HE'S OUT AGAIN! It's official! Clark out. More to come.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Go figure. Yawwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Howard Dean > John Kerry

I'm tellin' ya, John Kerry is a shady character. He is... evil.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yeah, not real crazy about his face.
I can't Stand to look at W's though....

Oh...... the days of Kennedy and Clinton..

Even Regan wasn't bad to look at......

Edwards face ain't bad, but I would have to get rid of the mole.

Clark was the best looking.....

He couldn't be Vice President though... he would out-rank Kerry.

You may laugh at me but....
God know who the Stars are.......

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
My family has lived in Virginia since dirt. All of relatives who still live there are going to vote for Kerry as they all hate Bush. They say that these are the worst times in Virginia since the great depression and that are sick of Bush and his lies. I have news for the republican party, Virginia will vote democrat in this next election. Any bets?

new topics

top topics

join