It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe in Religion?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikee

Second people are too weak to accept the fact that no one is watching and helping them every time they are in trouble.

Long time ago people thought that Sun is the eye of the God and now everybody knows that it's just a star. Also there are people who can predict the future like Vanga and people who know how to use magic but scientists still can't find they way they do it.

People still believe that there is a man in the sky first because they are being brainwashed for centuries and some time ago you would be punished or even tortured to death for saying that there is no God.

Wrong,, Christians died for believing it and as far as brain washed,, I think you guys are calling it a mutation we faithers have and YOUR SCIENCE AND ATHIESM CURES.

Second people are too weak to accept the fact that no one is watching and helping them every time they are in trouble.

Oh I see how it is,, so does it challenge your masculinity to believe? Why is it WE are weak merely because we don't agree.

Sure everything in the nature has some point so there must be some point of existence of the Universe but nobody know what it is.

I do

Probably in the future people will realize that there is no God at all.

That time is now. Oh thats right,, you are talking about Atheisms "World View" when EVERYONE doesn't believe in GOD. It doesn't really bother me that Atheists don't believe in God if it insults their "intelligence" that much,, but that it bothers them so much THAT I DO,,

is what I find interesting.

It's like if we all deny God then God goes away.

That's the day you guys get your wish,,

that proof you always demanded

Then you'll say LORD LORD

as that spirtual epiphaney

the meek will inherit

the earth

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by hit and run
This is a response to the first post in this thread.

Quazda- since you have explored several religions, and (I presume) have done a good deal of research, I assume you have also come across Pascal's Wager. The wager was that he'd rather believe in a God, and find out he was wrong, then not believe in a God and upon death find out there is.

Another point of interest- there are about 1 billion Christians/Catholics alone, not to mention Muslims, Hindu's, and all other deistic worshipers. If we assume that most of them are being utterly brainwashed that still leaves a sizable number of believers. Are all of them simply out to lunch, and have been convinced by culture or society that there is a higher power. As one person, how can you think to yourself that you have the key that everyone else has missed, and that there is no such thing as religion? Logically, if 99.9% of all religious people are brainwashed, stupid, or in some manner not intelligently having a genuine religious experience, that still leaves you outnumbered around 50 million to one. Do you honestly want to say that you are more knowing than all of them? That's moronic.

Once again this post has nothing to do with belief in God, but the belief in Religion. The two are not the same, although to some they are intractable because some adherents devotion to God is directly proportional to the requirement by their religion.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Why do people (Me, Personally) Still believe in religion?

Religion is ONE thing and RELATIONSHIP is another. To simply answer your question, the LORD will NOT LET ME GO, no matter how rebellious I have been. He keeps pulling me back via His LOVE.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I imagine the origin of the meaning "god" to be perhaps hundreds of thousands of years ago when we an illiterate created race (via DNA manipulations) to do slave labor for super advanced beings who left eons ago. They had the power of flight, to be able to disappear, to create light, fire, lazer beams, transmit sound and pictures, and to perform what then, and probably today as well, would look like miracles, especially to a people who couldn't read or write, who knew little about math or anything other than moving stone or pulling weeds...think about it. Greek mythology for instance....all those "gods" were probably at one time real. Many suspect that the god of the old testament is not the same god of the new one, and that deities like Lucifer, Satin, Michael, Gabriel etc...were all different beings as well. But does it really matter anyway?

Why can't we take from the writings we have those parts that help us in some meaningful and real way, and leave the rest behind along with our dead or missing gods. When people finally put down their dead gods and idols and begin to enjoy one another's different cultures and foods, and quit bombing one another based on belief in these ancient belief structures that aren't even accurate...oh man, what a mess. It's 2008, and still humans wil not let it go. In the end we will either get rid of religion, or we will blow ourselves up in the name of it. Either way god/the gods, are either gone never to return, dead, never existed in the first place, or asleep on the job.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I completely understand and respect your opinions and questions. However, I have a few questions of my own. You as why there has to be a good or evil. What is it then, in the human mind that makes us perceive something as evil? Why is murder accepted as "bad"? Why do some murderers feel Guilt after they perform that act? What is Guilt? Is it something that our mind has created? If so, then why has it created the feeling of Guilt? Why is it that people instantly disprove something if there is no evidence that they can perceive? Why is my first thought "This guy is crazy, that didn't really happen" when I read someone's alien abduction story? Why are we so naturally Ignorant? Why do humans perceive that there has to be a beginning and an end? Why does it have to be traced back to a single source (God). Why cant things just be how they are? Why do humans naturally try to control nature? We take matter and cause things to happen so it forms something that will benefit our survival. What is thought? What is Memory? What is the human mind composed of? If it is indeed something, then what's its relative mass/volume/density/etc.? If it has none of these, then how does it exist? How is it there, but not there? There are so many things we do not understand which is a very good reason why we don't rule out God or Satan or whom/whatever you believe in. One way to answer a question is to see what the answer isn't and what the answer could still be. Process of elimination. How can one consider that God isn't a possible solution when you haven't put it to the test? Due to personal experiences and evidence that I have found for myself, I strongly believe in God.

The questions I have in my mind seem to be Infinite. New questions develop and old questions are brought back to compare with the new. Why is it that I and everyone else have the ability to question? So far, my conclusion, is that the only thing that can answer all of these questions and for all of the evidence to co-exist without canceling out other evidence, there must be some kind of supreme law or power.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Sure everything in the nature has some point so there must be some point of existence of the Universe but nobody know what it is.

I do

So please can you share this knowledge with us?
You are a first man on Earth who knows the point of the existence of the Universe.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's been a fairly long thread, so far. No disrespect intended here, but an adage I have told about over and over again admonishes one to never discuss Politics or Religion in polite company.

Those two subjects invariably stir up strong emotions and polarizations.

My opinion here -- ATS is devoted to uncovering conspiracies, usually those promulgated by a government. So, unless there is a strong evidence that a modern government is promoting a certain religion (I know, I know...I am referring to WESTERN governments) then I'm not sure this thread, with all its inherent controversy, fits in. At least, unless it is better placed into the 'political' part?

Just a thought to (hopefully) defuse some of the animosity...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Quazda- since you have explored several religions, and (I presume) have done a good deal of research, I assume you have also come across Pascal's Wager. The wager was that he'd rather believe in a God, and find out he was wrong, then not believe in a God and upon death find out there is.

Another point of interest- there are about 1 billion Christians/Catholics alone, not to mention Muslims, Hindu's, and all other deistic worshipers. If we assume that most of them are being utterly brainwashed that still leaves a sizable number of believers. Are all of them simply out to lunch, and have been convinced by culture or society that there is a higher power. As one person, how can you think to yourself that you have the key that everyone else has missed, and that there is no such thing as religion? Logically, if 99.9% of all religious people are brainwashed, stupid, or in some manner not intelligently having a genuine religious experience, that still leaves you outnumbered around 50 million to one. Do you honestly want to say that you are more knowing than all of them? That's moronic.

Once again this post has nothing to do with belief in God, but the belief in Religion. The two are not the same, although to some they are intractable because some adherents devotion to God is directly proportional to the requirement by their religion.

You right, this thread only has to do with God in the cursory sense of a basis for most religions.

However, the question you completely sidestepped doesn't refer to God. "How is it that you are more knowing than the 50 million religious people afore mentioned?"

On the contrary, since the media and politics today are becoming increasingly anti-religious, or a careful religion-neutral, is it not possible that anti-religion is being pushed today by some hidden agenda? Could not the Powers That Be in fact be driving people away from religion, for some diabolical purpose? In that case, it would be rather brilliant of them because you, while trying to throw off the religious shackles are embracing the chains of anti-religionism being fed to you.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

So please can you share this knowledge with us?
You are a first man on Earth who knows the point of the existence of the Universe.

The day I was born is the day the universe existed.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

It's been a fairly long thread, so far. No disrespect intended here, but an adage I have told about over and over again admonishes one to never discuss Politics or Religion in polite company.

My opinion here -- ATS is devoted to uncovering conspiracies, usually those promulgated by a government. So, unless there is a strong evidence that a modern government is promoting a certain religion (I know, I know...I am referring to WESTERN governments) then I'm not sure this thread, with all its inherent controversy, fits in. At least, unless it is better placed into the 'political' part?

Dude, ATS is all about debate and discussion - and not just topics pertaining to political conspiracy. Hence the many sub-forums each specifically centering on an area of discussion under the umbrella of 'conspiracy theory'.

This isn't polite company, hopefully it's intelligent company - so no cucumber sandwiches and afternoon tea here - Go nuts, talk up all the religion and politics you want, as long as it's in the correct sub-forum.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
Why do people (Me, Personally) Still believe in religion?

Religion is ONE thing and RELATIONSHIP is another. To simply answer your question, the LORD will NOT LET ME GO, no matter how rebellious I have been. He keeps pulling me back via His LOVE.

Ok that explains why you believe in "The Lord" Not why you believe in a "Religion".

Why do you believe in a Relgion, specifically that which mankind states about this Lord with whom you have a relationship?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

What I am attempting to uncover here in a socratic way is the conspiracy of the mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

You right, this thread only has to do with God in the cursory sense of a basis for most religions.

However, the question you completely sidestepped doesn't refer to God. "How is it that you are more knowing than the 50 million religious people afore mentioned?"

On the contrary, since the media and politics today are becoming increasingly anti-religious, or a careful religion-neutral, is it not possible that anti-religion is being pushed today by some hidden agenda? Could not the Powers That Be in fact be driving people away from religion, for some diabolical purpose? In that case, it would be rather brilliant of them because you, while trying to throw off the religious shackles are embracing the chains of anti-religionism being fed to you.

Actually, the anti-religious rhetoric in the mainstream is incited by the trend toward moral unification which is akin to facism. That's much more political than I'm talking.

There are no shackles when you allow in yourself a belief in God, but not a belief in a religion. When you assert that God is something that no man can tell you about, but which must be experienced. Then no one can tell you what is right or wrong. What is good or bad. This is left up to the individual to discern for themselves, making that ability stronger, generation by generation. Religion on the other hand, makes us weaker generation by generation. Once again, this has nothing to do with spirutality or God or the sort. Merely the formal systems which are created by mankind to classify or create a graven image of a diety.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think people need religion and faith because they are scared of facing the reality of dieing and can't accept the fact that....that's it! life's over.Some are able to accept the fact. That's all i can think of cause the rest is just nonsense.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE MASSES AS SOMEONE RIGHTFULLY PUT IT.
I think whats happend is that religion has now turned from facilitator to dictator, and this transition was undertaken by a few clever men of the world because they realised how important a "drug" religion can be for the people of the our world. The more people you get addicted to your form of religion the more power you have over them and this you can see from the extremist religious groups in all the worlds religions. There is no end to this kind of dictatorship through religion and addiction by religion of the masses unless the people wake up and realise that there is nothing magical or devine about religion or god and realise that god did not make man, men made god!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
1. FREE

2. WILL

sums up the entire thread.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

This is the exact logic that makes me wonder how we ever (if we truly have) got past the dark ages. At one point everyone on earth thought the planet was flat and the "brainwashed" or mis-educated would string up any "moron" who might have the guts to challenge the status quo. Just because a belief is widespread does not make it true. Thousands of years of ostracizing and murder of none believers has taken place in nearly every culture. This has left a scar on all societies whether we want to see it or not... This scar dictates that you must have blind faith and thus 100% of all those who follow without question are brainwashed or at least mis-educated. With your logic you must be a moron as there are far more people in the world that believe something different than you than believe the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join