It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe in Religion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Im sorry but i am still surprised to see people in here still believing in god. Some of you use pieces of the bible as evidence of god. This is ridiculous, by this logic i have proof that Harry Potter is real, and santa and so on. I am openminded, please show me proof and i will consider it. I mean real hands on proof.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Oh and by the way. WWII WAS a religous war, Hitler hated jews and had a belief that the arian(spelling??) race was gods race and that he needed to create lebensraum (room to live) to this race of übermensch (superhumans).

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You can all say what you want about religion but you are just an ant compared to god. How could any science man created establish wheter there is a god or not, if god has the power to create a universe them im sure he could create a heaven and im even more sure that we will never have the power or inteligence of a god, making god untouchable and undetectable, if we all knew for 100% there was a god waiting to judge us, we would all be as good as gold knowing we will recieve eternal life in heaven, you [SNIP] talk like you know something, and i can bet my house you will all be crying out gods name on your dieing beds

----------------------------

removed incident of name-calling

Please read from the Terms And Conditions Of Use ;

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 7/1/08 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant
reply to post by cpdaman

But "your right" and everyone who disagrees is wrong, but that is ok.

Not agreeing just pointing out the undercurrent to your thoughts.

You can rationalise it whatever way you want in either direction.
And many have and will continue to.
I find all this fighting is simple egomasterbation, attempts to find converts to your respective causes and well to simply attempt to be right.

intresting response

mine is a view point one that states religion gives many strength they need to get thru life. this is why it is still popular IMO because it works for some people. do you disagree? if so that's fine, but what do you disagree about

you responded very vaguely, looks like you were rationalizing things.

I am not (only a fool) about throwing my understandings/ beliefs down another persons throat. I hope you don't view someone getting you to see another perspective as a weakness on your part.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSYSC
You can all say what you want about religion but you are just an ant compared to god.
Which god would that be?

How could any science man created establish wheter there is a god or not, if god has the power to create a universe them im sure he could create a heaven and im even more sure that we will never have the power or inteligence of a god, making god untouchable and undetectable,
There is no way scientific or otherwise to prove the existence of any god - How can you prove the existence of the non-existant

you dimwits talk like you know something, and i can bet my house you will all be crying out gods name on your dieing beds
I'll take my chances on being a so called 'dimwit', don't think I'd like eternal life with a god. Better to be an atheistic dimwit than a religious dimwit.

G

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Which god would that be?

Yahweh GOD
The same one who showed himself to Israel when Elijah said.."How long will ye halt between two opinions? If Yahweh be God serve him, if Baal be God serve him."
You notice there were not many atheists.
Even tribal backwater peoples know there is more than meets the material eye.

There is no way scientific or otherwise to prove the existence of any god

So many people have their spiritual eyes and ears closed to the truth.
No matter what Jesus does for them they dismiss it as 'coincidence'.

Oh, and BTW, We're not all God's children, You have to be Born-Again!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It is very simple. As Humans learn more about this Universe, through science and technology, there is also another side to Nature. Cal it Art, Music, and other abstract idea. Now Humans surviving is essential to belief in a Supreme Being, because with all the found-out added Power, it takes less of an idea to assume that it can not be used even inadvertantly without seeking some kind of what is called Wisdom with it. It's misuse should actually pause anyone and may scare everyone. When Power is so extreme with the forces of the Nature of the Universe, in one fell swoop, humans can destroy all of theirselves. Most people think that in this case it will never happen. That would be an assumption, and in the end, no human really thinks that way, so some humans want to know, and other want to find out, and still others perceive it could happen.

This has come about because of the destructive powr inherent in weapons of the modern age. Are those weapons actually going to be used? Well, N-weapons are only the tip of the iceberg in the emotional department of well-being. There will be far greater powers to destroy than to create.

So, humans in a sense are forced to seek something better than to leave it in the hands of another human or any spacealien in this Universe. It comes out in movies, shows on TV, and just about in anything that communicates to other humans on this Planet. By some humans it is used as a device to control other humans who then wished that they are not controlled by such a person in the first place, unles they just live to get along with it for a long, long time. Luckily humans do not live that long as of yet, but even with medicine a lot of humans wish to live in this Universe longer.

Everything will happen because of these type of humans that come along, and therefore religion will be needed to know the difference. If you can not convince the human who is controlling things that it is good and not bad, then the entire human species may just wipe its self out. Other say that the premise will not happen, like they know the future and human nature, but again, why try and deceive ones self?

Until some humans who wish to seek this type of control or action or power actually can fully be trusted, others will seek that there is some Supreme Being or Higher Power than themselves.

It would be foolish to do otherwise. The fact that it was stated that way such a long, long, time ago, and continued up to this day, deals with that abstract question on whether there could be such a human in the first place that comes along in this Univers?

Having some of the Leaders made into Leaders just in the last hundred years, has precluded that religion will not quietly go away into the night, that humans will fight to preserve its presence even if it is wrong because the Greater Wrong or Evil would then be allowed to prevail.

We will not go quietly into the Night for any such reason as such as another human or spacealien in this Universe, or shall most humans act hastily towards any demise. Life really does not support doing that, for then there would be no Life in the end.

Not allowed! Denied! No! Pick up your marbles and go on home then!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think humans for the most part are hardwired for spiritual belief (and I believe much of this hardwiring takes place in the pineal gland). Thats not to say humans are hardwired for religious beliefs.

I remain spiritual but do not necessarily believe in a diety, i tend to ascribe more to collective conciousness theories than religious dieties. I have just had some experiances in my life which lead me to believe that there is something greater than us (us meaning individual beings) that we are all apart of. Nothing short of death and the perpetual abyss that atheists believe awaits them will convince me otherwise.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I think that it can come from 2 sources. The first being culturally indoctrinated either by society or by family members. The second I think is because (at least in the case of some "gothic" religions like wicca) the reason behind it is mainly because they want to have a title that they believe has some "importance" you know, so they can say "I am a part of X religion" and have people take a second look at them.

Now don't get me wrong. There are people that do follow religions because they honestly do have good motives and they believe in the teachings and people who really do follow the real meaning of peace behind these religions, I have a great respect for (my wife is a christian even though I lieft christianity years ago) yet I still love her and respect her and I respect her views because she actually has it together. But in terms as to why other people who obviously shouldn't be joining that particular religion (posers, extremists etc.) I think the two points mentioned above might apply.

Oh, and there is also the point "sucking up" thinking that if they join and go to church etc. immediately guarantees them a spot in heaven.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Question]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i dont beleive in religoin so definatly do not condone it.

the reason people believe in religion most the time is free chose they choose to believe and have many different reasons.
some because of miricles in their live eg a loved one surviving a accident
they may have been brought up in a religous family
or they just feel there is more than what we see.
there are many more reasons.
i think as long as these people do not force there beliefs on other people or use these beliefs for violence or endangering people whos to say they cant

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
Here's the thing...

I believe and you dont..

Ok who wins if their is a god at the end of the day/life??

You or me??

You keep spreading this non belief crap, who really will you prove wrong at the end of the day??

Your right....oh well

Im right......awsome!

Your screwed either way!!!

Its like going to vegas and betting on purple!! YOU cant win!!

You clearly have the spritiual capacity of a twelve year old. It's not about 'winning', it's not about 'losing', it's about finding truth as you can accept it. Not as some authority at a church your parents brought you to when you were a child can accept it, mind you. Very different things. It's been said, by wiser minds than mine, that hell is repition. So you just keep on repeating that, "I'M GOING TO HEAVEN, I'M SO GREAT, NOBODY ELSE IS GOING TO HEAVEN, THEY'RE SO WRONG," horse#, buddy. You don't have a monopoly on truth, on God, on Heaven, on Hell, on life, death or anything.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Oh, and BTW, We're not all God's children, You have to be Born-Again!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Clearskies]

Wow, I should totally write a thank-you letter to evangelical Christians. Seems nobody got into heaven until they came along and shoved their rhetoric down everyone's collective throat. Just think, Hundreds of billions of people, alive since Sumeria and before, all gone to hell because Pat Robertson didn't lead them to heaven. Such a shame, really, that you'd go to hell because of a book that hadn't been written yet. But hey, that's life, right?

-Sorry for the double post. Just found this response, could not help myself.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by giglioanonomicon]

[edit on 7-1-2008 by giglioanonomicon]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There are 6 and a half billion people on the planet and there are 6 and a half billion paths to enlightenment/truth.

I believe that everybody needs to find their own path regarding God.

Proof of the existence of God (and life after this one on Earth for that matter) may be closer than we think. The work of Dr. Michu Kaku (the Einstein of our time) into the possibility of up to an 11 dimensional universe is just the beginning of 'concrete' truth as to there being more to all of this than meets the eye.

Science and spirituality are on a collision course to the truth...stay tuned.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mightymouth
There are 6 and a half billion people on the planet and there are 6 and a half billion paths to enlightenment/truth.

I believe that everybody needs to find their own path regarding God.

Proof of the existence of God (and life after this one on Earth for that matter) may be closer than we think. The work of Dr. Michu Kaku (the Einstein of our time) into the possibility of up to an 11 dimensional universe is just the beginning of 'concrete' truth as to there being more to all of this than meets the eye.

Science and spirituality are on a collision course to the truth...stay tuned.

As I said before, we live in a multidimensional and spiritual reality. Because so many people have been 'switched off' from all perception of that reality, (we are immersed in a material world where physical instruments are needed to measure the metaphysical).

Without a physical or material explanation for God, (which already exists, it's called Physics...) or any understanding of this multi-dimensional universe, people are apt to believe that physical reality is all there is, that we are chemical beings of a physical nature (ignoring the fact that we are spiritually conscious beings in physical form.)

Basically: people who cannot concede in the existence of supreme realities are ignorant. And this includes most of the religious AND secular world. People are stuck in the mode of "Bible this, bible that" or "there is no God because I can't see him." What puts them in this mode? What makes them hang on these ideas instead of ADMITTING that we live in a multidimensional spiritual reality? Ignorance.

So it's come to the point that it's not worth listening to religious nuts OR atheists anymore. People have to evolve their own working model of a multidimensional universe, and if they happen to call that universe, GOD. SO BE IT. I don't know why skeptics and atheists are so tore up over the idea of people believing in a multi-dimensional supreme being... if that seems fairy-tale to them perhaps they should take a second look at physics.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by territory51
No, I haven't come across overwhelming evidence that God exists. In fact, I haven't come across any evidence at all. Care to enlighten me?

If the multidimensional reality we exist is not 'evidence at all' than no, nobody can enlighten you.

This goes for every skeptic and "there is no God" person out there. Nobody is going to enlighten you, because you believe everything is seperate from your 'big man in the clouds' idea of God. You will never admit that life itself and the universe in all it's dimensions is part of something greater, i.e. a conscious super-dimensional being we call 'God'.

If you can't see it, you'll never see it. Certainly, don't bother assuming that others can show you or even want to.

After all, we're just daydreaming about some big grandfather in the sky so that we have enough strength to 'make it through' life. Cause we're all weak for wanting to see the bigger picture. /sarcasm

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ahem

I would ask that everybody stays on topic and cease the personal sniping back and forth.

Thanks
FredT, Moderator

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Firstly, I'll say it's the same reason why so many other topics of discussion on this site go un-noticed by the majority - many people just cannot accept that they, their family, their society or culture has been duped, on such a large scale and for such a long time.

It's a total head-f*ck and just way too much for a lot of people to handle that something so pervasive and influential to world history could all be hot air.

Even in the face of overwhelming evidence to prove that religion is poppycock, always has been, and those at the top of the power chain know as such, and always have, but have used it to their own gains - even in the face of all this, they choose to bury their head or make excuses.

I think it's also partly primal or natural: When we are born, and advance a few years, we become away of time, we realise that we are 'X' amount of years old, and that before this time we didn't exist. And we see people die, and they are no longer here. We wonder what happened before we got here, and what happens when we go? Is that is, is there somewhere we came from or somewhere we go to? Are they the same place or different? Etc, etc.

In a general sense we get these questions answered for us by cultural attitudes, mostly influenced by religion. Some people are satisfied with not knowing the answers, maybe satisfied isn't the right word, some people don't let the fact that the cycle of life and death is such an unknown, where as many others are completely and utterly terrified by this, perhaps just subconsciously.

These ones who are terrified are religions greatest devotees - It is their security blanket from the unknown - Death is a scary prospect, and religion tells them that as long as they live their lives according to these set rules and give their time, resources or money to the organisation that sanctions the religion in an "official" capacity, then when they die, they will still be "alive", or at least conscious, if not physically alive here, then conscious somewhere else, somewhere that is nice. If they don't follow the rules they will be not be conscious, or will, but it will be somewhere else, not so nice!

It's a pretty simple decision for those in fear - keep in line and your fears won't be realised, you will live forever. These attitudes are continually reinforced by other believers - people find comfort in being part of a crowd or a majority, it strengthens their beliefs to know that others hold the same opinions - this is also natural.

Non-believers are shunned, tormented or harmed by the believing group, or the official organisation which sanctions their belief system, and this is another way to reinforce their beliefs and keep them from thinking for themselves - they see what will happen to them if they question the group, or dare to live outside it's rules.

Religion is all about offering security, in exchange for power and freedom. The world's oldest form of mind control.

'Flock' indeed.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

The issue in the Garden of Eden was not if humans know what is right or wrong or if they could direct themselves with out any gods.
But in contrary to popular believes the issue was that the gods didn’t want humans to take the knowledge …see below:
GENESIS 3:22
"and the Lord God said, look, the man as become as one of us, knowing from good and evil: and now, what if he puts forth his hand, and takes also of the tree of life, and eats, and live forever?"
My interpretation of this is that the gods or the god (whatever those charlatans where) where very scare that human could grasp and fulfil they true spiritual potentials.

so, god didnt want humans to know what right and wrong and they were very scared that they would find out, yet the only precaution they put in place was to tell them not to eat the fruit? im sorry but that iterpertation isnt reasonable. tree of life and the tree of good and evil were 2 different trees. if it was a matter of holding the couple back, why even place the tree in the garden?

ironically your interpertation is very similiar to satan's. he told eve that god was lieing to her basically holding something back.

And yes I think we are much better off then in the past. The proof of this is there in front of you, the very media that you are using is in he’s right a symbol of free speech which many in the past didn’t have…so how can you ask this question?

so nevermind that this century has seen wars with more frequency than anything other, or more diseases despite medical advances. oh yea, more than half of out population here on earth is living in poverty. nevermind that crime is getting worse, or that it is getting difficult to pay for basic nessecities. it's all good because we all have freedom of speech.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Why do people still believe in religion?

A lot of people on here are giving many answers but only from a none believers view. They cannot even begin to comprehend the thought that maybe it is because there is a God.

For me personally there is absolutely no doubt that God is real. I have seen and done things that make him as real to me as you are.
the problem is, if you are a none believer there is nothing for you to see, hear or touch and that is the limit of your understanding. It makes perfect sense to you that there is no God. No proof.

It is only when you open up your mind to other possibilities and ask Jesus to reveal himself to you through a real desire to know him, that he can and will do. even then, and i don't know why but everyone has a different experience and some are more powerful than others. Some Christians have no experience at all and i admire these people because they get their faith by other means. I have to admit that Nothing other than my own experience would have me believe the way that i do. I am a very logical person and i know something, you just can't apply logic to God, he is not even in the same ball park.

So, no matter what other reasons you come up with, the answer may be, He is real.

Just my views on the subject but i have been on both sides of the fence, so to speak.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Why do people still believe in Religion?

The inherent spiritualism of human beings + your education i.e. what your parents/family told you to believe.

You are nothing but genes and your education.

Even remote tribes believe in some sort Diety or have some form of Spritiualism (shamanism, sun gods, etc). That's what i mean by the inherent spiritualism of humans.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join