It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe in Religion?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

This includes all the people who believe science is truth and anything unknown is not 'real'. If you base your belief on any pre-conceived notion, especially when it concerns something as heavy as God and the multidimensional universe through which we experience life and death, than you're 'betting' on your own minute understanding of reality against the whole of existence. This is insanity in the religious and scientific sense: to judge what cannot be judged.

So are you saying that anything that can't be analysed and understood through methods of testing through science, can still be acknowledged as something real, as something with merit.....? "Anything unknown is not 'real" If we look at something and can't prove its reality though science....it is not real...period...if we look at the reality of god and try prove its existence through tests and such and find it is not real.....
It plainly is not real....no matter how many people believe it is....even if 1.5 billion people do.....

"as heavy as God" are you trying to say the idea of a god is so great, so significant, that you can't just use science to prove it's existence....you need something more....well if that's the case......what else is there......? Faith....? As I said before....if 1.5 billion people believing in something without any hard evidence....without any proof......it's not enough.....if a million people believe in one thing and another million believe in something else which contradicts the other....how can you prove which one is right and which one is wrong if they both cancel each other out....you need proof to determine which is one is right......and without any evidence for either one......both beliefs must be false....no matter how many people belief in them.......FACT...

It's better to keep your cards in your hand and NOT become an extremist religion hating atheist, OR a 'bible-thumper'. We all know this at heart... but you see how easily we are provoked to 'pick a side' in the religion vs. atheist debate. There should be NO sides.

Please define a 'extremist' atheist ????.......please define a 'extremist' religious person......fundamentalist Christians bible camp.....Muslim extremist bombing themselves in the name of there religion......

[edit on 7-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gingern

I say the same thing. ( I'm a SPIRITUAL person, not religious) I prefer to not let a homo sapien tell me how to get close to the creator.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
The thing that really needs to be addressed is why people allow ANY institution of thought to overcome their own free will?

This truly is the essence of the question. What does it say about society as a whole that enormous percentages of the population willingly accept doctrines that are contradictory, threatening, and quite frankly out of date?

In my opinion the establishment has us well distracted with all sorts of goodies and forms of entertainment. They have us following some mindless routine in which every individual is spending their free time watching some mesmerizing screen, whether it be a television, computer screen, cell phone or whatever. Following tradition and falling in line with routine all too often includes limiting ones spirituality by subscribing to absurd belief systems including religion.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Vipassana]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
Please define a 'extremist' atheist ????.......please define a 'extremist' religious person......fundamentalist Christians bible camp.....Muslim extremist bombing themselves in the name of there religion......

An extremist atheist hates religion and anyone who practices it. They believe the idea of God and anyone who adheres to it is ridiculous and a waste of time etc. despite the fact that many of the greatest scientists, authors etc. believe in one God.

Do I really need to define extremist religous types to you? I don't think so.

Muslim extremists are not practicing Islam with their Muslim community, they are radicals, as are Evangelicals and 'nut-job' Christian institutions.

I see alot of failure to use discretion when dealing with religious groups and it's just another form of weak prejudice. Group everyone together and consider them one body of people, despite the fact that they are institutionalized, fractured, and comprised of individuals.

Blanket terminology has to stop. Condemning Christianity as a whole has to stop. Condemning religion as the singular enemy to humanity has GOT to stop.... the reality is that religion has been manipulated by the same bodies of influence that run our government. It's almost impossible to get religious nuts or atheists to realize this... they think in such a discordant, black-and-white way... blah.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
They've already paid for the church?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

***claps***

Now for another cycle.
Sense is made. Silence is persued.
The whole thing starts all over again the next post.

Or an attempt at "death by a thousand papercuts" is persued. Where the content is ignored and the wording etc is henpecked.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The reason why most people believe in God and religion is because they need to, or they were taught since childhood to believe. However, there is an overwhemelling amount of evidence to prove that God exists, and I'am sure you came across some of this evidence in the past. By the way, yesterday I was reading this text: www.webbmt.org...

I found it very interesting, but if Christianity is true, then reality of the existence of some people is more painful than we can conceive and imagine.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Synaphai

I find the abrahamic view to be rather, well......... silly. In that I agree with some.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
Read this paper on Mankind and Religion!

You did it again.......i don't even have to read your comments anymore...I just know what your're going to say....something that refers to the Urantia Book.......

This is getting quite comical

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
oops

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gingern

Religon is just different sets of moral codes. I'm happy with my morals so I don't need some one to tell me whats right or wrong.

and so we come full circle.

the very question that was raised in the garden of eden. do humans know whats right and wrong? can they direct themselves without god?

that is the biggest issue in the bible.

now im not saying you personally dont have morals but look at mankind as a whole. can we say that we as humans are any better off than we were in the past? i submit that it is worse.

the other thing is that if you have a large majority of religions that are bad examples (to put it lightly) that doesnt mean there isn´t one that doing what its suppose to be doing.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I gave this thread a star because I ask myself this question all the time...Why do people still believe in god? I mean there is absolutely no proof that he exits...Why is it when I went to catholic school our church was being upgraded so much? Cause they were getting tons of donations...The church is a business and quite a good one at that...You either buy(donate to the church) what were selling(preaching) or youll go to hell...I mean what choice do you have...I find it hilarious how many people waist thier sundays every week going to church just so they can feel like yeah I went to church I am good person now...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Erm. Or ignored outright. Can't refute myself or new and you move on as if nothing was said.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Synaphai
The reason why most people believe in God and religion is because they need to, or they were taught since childhood to believe. However, there is an overwhemelling amount of evidence to prove that God exists, and I'am sure you came across some of this evidence in the past. By the way, yesterday I was reading this text: www.webbmt.org...

I found it very interesting, but if Christianity is true, then reality of the existence of some people is more painful than we can conceive and imagine.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Synaphai
The reason why most people believe in God and religion is because they need to, or they were taught since childhood to believe. However, there is an overwhemelling amount of evidence to prove that God exists, and I'am sure you came across some of this evidence in the past.

No, I haven't come across overwhelming evidence that God exists. In fact, I haven't come across any evidence at all. Care to enlighten me?

[edit on 7-1-2008 by territory51]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

The issue in the Garden of Eden was not if humans know what is right or wrong or if they could direct themselves with out any gods.
But in contrary to popular believes the issue was that the gods didn’t want humans to take the knowledge …see below:
GENESIS 3:22
"and the Lord God said, look, the man as become as one of us, knowing from good and evil: and now, what if he puts forth his hand, and takes also of the tree of life, and eats, and live forever?"
My interpretation of this is that the gods or the god (whatever those charlatans where) where very scare that human could grasp and fulfil they true spiritual potentials.

And yes I think we are much better off then in the past. The proof of this is there in front of you, the very media that you are using is in he’s right a symbol of free speech which many in the past didn’t have…so how can you ask this question?

No religion is right and no religion is wrong. The truth of the matter is that all have embedded some half truth, which makes all of them inconsistent with the true spiritual salvation.
In any other word, I will say that now we all or most of, have some good background to save our self with no need of any exterior guide line but only our own innersole.

Kacou

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Amazing, god exists because there is so much evidence? Well I have never seen it. There are certainly millions of people who state that god exists becasue they have seen the proof. Well sorry but unless you can detach the proof from the faith of the person then there is no proof.

Oh one small problem. All religions have proof and many have different gods so how can they all have proof?

There will always be religion and a belif in god because of a few things about human nature:

1. People's inability to accept that their loved ones when they die have gone forever.
2. People's inability to cope with their own limited existance "is this it, is this all there is".
3. People's inability to understand they there are some things we don't understand.....yet
4. People's inability to follow a moral code without some supernatural guidance.

I look at peoples irrational belief (God being a mythical creature like any other) as an indication of how logic, reasoning and evidence can be totally twisted depending on your belief system. This then stops me getting too angry about how stupid and stubborn some people are when it comes to earthly matters such as politics, environment etc etc

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Religon is just different sets of moral codes. I'm happy with my morals so I don't need some one to tell me whats right or wrong.

Notice how similar these two words are. Church....Crutch.

Religion today is all about money or war.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Faith and hope.

The title above is, I believe, the core of why individuals subscribe to a belief system.
I am a pagan in my outlook.
I am not a member of an organised sect or group. I am a solitary individual.
I acknowledge all the festivals in the calender. I commune with nature and the elements in a way that suits me and what I am comfortable with.
I do not recognise Chritistianity as a true faith. I believe Christianity based faiths are flawed in open to misinterpretation.... exploited by cults and 'splinter' denominations.
If we are indeed dealing here with Christianity then I believe that the original doctrine to control the masses and the 'eternal life' carrot to the donkey is a powerful factor.
It's a case of each to their own really.
What we see around us is maybe all there is to see. No mystical plain in another dimension or indeed rebirth. A fictional heavenly father to look over his 'subjects' is a powerfull incentive in this equasion.
If people want to live again I suggest they gamble their money on Cyrogenics instead of throwing money at the local church poor box.

When the game of life is over the King & the pawn both end up in the same box

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join