Originally posted by jpm1602
Atheism is a religion in itself. The belief on no God.
This is totally and utterly wrong. Atheism is a set of beliefs or ideas, religion is an organization. So Atheism is a belief, not a religion.
Furthermore, believing in God does not make you religious either. I have a strong belief in God, yet I refuse to practice with any mainstream
To answer the original question, well there are numerous answers. I will attempt to list them.
Reasons why people still believe in religion:
1. Manipulation by leaders of religion. This is evident all over the place, from the threat of going to hell, to the assurance of martyrdom. People
are being mislead on purpose, and the reasons for this are mostly to keep people within the establishment.
2. Competition. With so many religions out there, there is a great deal of competition going on among them. This is causing various organizations to
go to great lengths to attract and secure followers. One example that comes to mind is the recent story of the man who claimed to be the reincarnated
Jesus, and managed to gain a tremendous following in short time. He was later found to be having an affair with his wife.
3. Its been around forever! People are confused, distraught and looking for some kind of truth in a world gone crazy. Most will turn to traditional
sources for spiritual information. Unfortunately the way things are people will end up going to some type of religion for answers, for the simple
reason that religion has been there a long time and already has a huge number of followers.
4. Modern Conformity. In order to keep pace with rapidly changing scientific ideas such as extraterrestrials and quantum physics, religions are
altering doctrine so they can appear new and updated, despite the fact that some have existed for thousands of years. Because so many people are
willing to accept things at face value, they continue to buy the illusion that the church can mesh with modern scientific and philosophical ideas.
5. Lack of true caring. People are more often busy wondering about the latest Britney Spears mess up than they are thinking about religion. If more
people truly took the time to reevaluate where they stand with regard to the ideas they commit to in religion, I think religion would be in big
6. Social Pressure. "If you aren't a Christian, and if you don't go to church every Sunday, and if you dont behave to the standards of the church,
then you aren't invited to the music pastor's dinner party. And also we "elite" Christians are going to give you dirty looks and spread rumors
about your quality of participation."....
A lot churches are like high school in that they are social contests and nothing more. I have seen this type of thinking go on inside a church.
There you have it, my top 6 reasons for why people still engage themselves with religion.