It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still believe in Religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think the thread is more about religion.

Religions are man made belief groupings based around the understandings of the creator God.

Religion really has very little to do with the creator God, but religion is how some men express their faith and understanding in God.

So the question is: who here is talking about religion, the topic of the thread, and who here is deflecting the topic's question with the shield of "belief in God" via religion?

Are we talking about God?
Are we talking about Religion?
Are we talking about the falsely assumed "word of God" aka "the bible" as being something more then a record of that actual "word of God" the conscious connection of some beings with the creator Our Father?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
There's a big difference between what people are calling 'Religion' and the real science of seeing 'God'.

God itself is a loaded word with almost no real bearing on peoples minds. They don't believe in God, they don't want to believe in God, they consider it something that requires belief to begin with: which only proves they have no idea what 'God' actually means.

Organized religion is a crime. But lately, alot of people are taking up swords against religion without substantiating their own argument for the existence of a soul. It's hip to hate religion now, and when I hear people bashing it as if it's the cause of all the worlds problems, instead of focusing on ORGANIZED religion which is the real culprit; I know they are missing the big picture.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
A valid point incarnated. Just trying to dissect the the real meaning of God love outside the box. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

..."the title is not "Why do people still believe in God?" But "Why do people still believe in religion".

edit on 6-1-2008 by Quazga]

Religion? Ooops! Sorry, my bad! I answered that with all kinds of wrong!

I gave up on religion many years ago. I tried for a long time to find a religion

that "fit"...one that at least appeared to follow God's word. After seeing how

some religions mistreat people, single out people, and generally use people

for gain and/or power, I decided I wanted nothing to do with "religion". I think

religion was orginally intended to help people and to bring them to God. I

think it was for people to get together and worship. Somewhere down the line

things got really messed up. "Man" decided to use it to his advantage and

misleading people just became the norm. There probably IS a correct religion

out there in the world somewhere. I do believe God's church is not gone

from the world, but it is probably a small church somewhere in the middle of

nowhere. Until I happen upon that church, I will continue my form of religion

which comes through faith.

Marilyn~

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

I think in my post I referred to god when I was really meaning religion. Ill edit and correct. I still count them as one and the same in my own mind. Apologies for any confusion.

getting late here and i have a meeting in the morning but im really eager to take this up tomorrow again. Till then night all.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
to all, hey, I was just trying to clear up understandings of what we were talking about.

I am anti-religion
I am pro-God

I was just trying to clear up the understandings of what it was we were all talking about so I'd know what to say.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If it has been said before, I'll say it again to get my point across. I don't belive in religion, but rather a relationship. I see alot of replys on this specific thread regarding the fact that they gave up on religion because it was just a set of rules to them, and I honestly don't blame them. As a christian, I see christians turning away from Christianity all the time because they just see it as a hard religion in which everyone will judge them, and quite frankly, if you just are a christian who is religious, then yes, they will be arrogant and cocky. And sadly, it turns alot of people away. Thats why I've decided to take up a relationship with my God instead of just living by his rules because thats just going to end up hurting others and I don't want that. So why do we belive in religion? Because it gives us a "spiritual" cause, no matter what religion you belive in. You can't "not" have a religion. Even the belief of NO god is the belief of something, and it gives them purpose. I don't know how constructive my post was, but those were just my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
People require a belief system in order to make sense out of an increasingly confusing technological and chaotic world. This has been true throughout human history. Even in the heights of the Renaissance people turned to religion when confronted by things such as plague and warfare both as a comfort and an explanation when science and philosophy were unable to meet their needs. Generally speaking, when the human mind is confronted with a situation that it cannot rationally deal with, it turns to faith, which requires only unquestioning belief and provides a safe haven from the tempest raging about.

I was raised as an Episcopalian, which is to say basically white-bread christian....no Catholic guilt, no ranting hellfire sermons, no speaking in tongues, no "next year in Jerusalem", no snake-handling, no "Death to the Infidels" Islamism, no weird golden tablets translated out of a hat. Going to church every Sunday was more a social affair than a religious exercise.

I attended a prep school operated by Jesuits who held true not only to their reputation of academic excellence, but to non-indoctrination of their non-Catholic charges as well. I can honestly say that nobody EVER tried to convert me. What I did receive in five years there (started in 8th grade) was a thorough and solid five years of theology, studying the Bible on its own with no Catholic bias, but also the other major religions of the world. It was during this period that I seriously began studying and thinking about my own views and values.

Based upon what I learned of both science and theology, and having spent many, many hours in contemplative thought, I have developed my own belief system and I am happy and comfortable with it. There is a Higher Intelligence driving things.......it's not just random chaos (so if that's what you call God, then as far as I am concerned He exists). God doesn't normally intervene in human affairs on a daily basis, though, and as far as I am concerned, you don't have to accept Jesus as your personal savior to avoid an eternity in Hell.

I have reached a logic/philosophic balance that I'm happy with.

But enough about me.

So, yeah, to sum up........religion really is necessary for most people. They need a way to make sense of an otherwise insane world. What's wrong with that, except for when it involves violence against other people?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Here's the thing...

I believe and you dont..

Ok who wins if their is a god at the end of the day/life??

You or me??

You keep spreading this non belief crap, who really will you prove wrong at the end of the day??

Your right....oh well

Im right......awsome!

Your screwed either way!!!

Its like going to vegas and betting on purple!! YOU cant win!!

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
For country, you put the pneumatic nail driver on it. After years of hynotic obedience it finally occured to me what a box of contrived (for the most part) not really very nice brethren I sat amongst. Nothing better than getting cut off meekly trying to get out of parking lot. If you were among those to stay after communion.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
For country, you put the pneumatic nail driver on it. After years of hynotic obedience it finally occured to me what a box of contrived (for the most part) not really very nice brethren I sat amongst. Nothing better than getting cut off meekly trying to get out of parking lot. If you were among those to stay after communion.

I'm sorry, I'm on a lower level of vocabulary than you, and didn't get half the stuff you were saying, or if you were being sarcastic or not. Could you enlighten me in laymans terms and clarify if you agree with me or not? Thanks.....lol

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I do not believe in any god. And i believe thatreligion has served its puspose in this world. Back in time when people saw or heard somthing they did not understand they tried to explain it in any way they could. This is how the idea of a god or gods began. And this was a good thing because it prevented panic. However a some point the believe in god/gods started dictating how people should live their lives and was used to control the masses. Forexample every farao in Egypt was believed to descend from gods. Many good things have come from this, morale, laws and lessons on how to treat other people. That said allmost every war fought have had religious motives and millions of people have died because of their beliefs.
In this day and age we have science to explain allmost everything we do not understand. This have been proven over and over again, yet people stil reject this because of their belief in god/gods.
I was brought up in the Christian belief and have been confirmed, but my parents have allways let me make up my own mind about stuf and never forced relegion and political beliefs onto me. And i belive that all around the world belivers are devided into two groups; the ones who have been brainwashed into believing and the ones that are in doubt but kling to the hope that their god will save them.

I hope i do not offend anyone. That is not my goal with this post. If anyone gets offended i am sorry, im am from Denmark so english is not my native language which could account for anything offensive.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Agreed For country. Sorry for getting all Frazerish on you. My point being those who go to weekly church are often not the most nicest of people. Holier than thou, nose in the air, chanting all the chants, but living quite few of them. Not disrespecting you at all. On same page. Some day ask me what the only thing that seperates the men from the boys in the Canadian army. Not the right venue.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think one reason people still believe in religion, probably the main reason without even realising it, is that without a god, a higher power, a creator, we are completely alone.

Even if he/she believes in aliens, they feel more connected with a god as this power has maticulously created their soul, watches their every move, in some religions - hears their thoughts and prayers, in christianity - loves them entirely.

Without that belief, that undying hope that someone is there with them through all things bad and good is gone. The prospect of death is much more frightening as noone is waiting on the other side, good or bad. Lonliness is probably one of the worst feelings in the world. Isolation drives people insane. If someone's god is understanding, at leats that person has someone that will understand them,at times where they think noone else ever will. Someone who will notice whether or not they are gone tomorrow.

People who believe in religion also have a sense of belonging. Even if they question their faith, they belong in a group. People of the same reliion accept them, possibly do same routines, whether they believe in them or not. Every human wants to belong, no human wants to be alone.

I myself do not believe in god or any form of religion, but i recognise that the creation of these higher powers and worshipping groups is actually a beautiful thing. An undying hope shared by millions of people, people who continue with their faith together, through all obstacles, and they are not alone. At tiomes i wish i still felt that sense of community, that there was someone listening to my thoughts and someone who would notice whether or not i was gone tomorrow.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by Ride The Spiral]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Yes, having noone there is quite terrifying. Having no one there about the same. How many times do people have to point out noone is 12 oclock with an e. Arrrghhh. I'm sure I'll be admonished for this.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gingern
I believe in god... just in case there is a heaven. Only joking.

Faith is very powerful and some people, well most people, need faith just to get through the day.

Religon is just different sets of moral codes. I'm happy with my morals so I don't need some one to tell me whats right or wrong.

I strongly dissagree with your assumption that 'most' people are religious. I'd say, in the West at least, more people are non-religious or atheist than religious.

J.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ride The Spiral

We are not 'alone' though - we have each other. Belief in a supernatural being is not needed really. People should try having a little self belief perhaps...maybe that's what they are really missing...

J.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion in itself. The belief on no God.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

hey Quazga long time no write, ive always found your posts very interesting

everything you say is true, but i also agree with the guy who said people need religion (for life after death or because it helps them get through life)

but it is this need that makes them weak, its people like you and me who understand the system that will eventually rise above it

good thread

[edit on 6-1-2008 by tankthinker]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Atheism is a religion in itself. The belief on no God.

Exactally. So how can people say that some people don't have a religion? If you have the belief of no god, you obviously have the spirtual need to, well, address the fact that there is no god. It gives them, say, purpose?, in feeling that there is no god. Some people also do that to avoid all the complications of religion so they can live what ever kind of life they want too, ya know. Doesn't change the fact that any one of the these religions could infact, be the "right" one. Oh, by the way, thanks for agreeing with me jpm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join