It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking of converting to judaism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I am thinking about converting to Judaism, and no this is not a spur of the moment decision, like I want to be a Jew. I was raised Southern Baptist, am almost 30 and I just don't think that I have the faith of Christianity anymore. I have a deep belief in God, but I just am a little unsure about Jesus being the son of God, not to mention that as I was thinking the Christian faith seems to go against everything the 10 commandments say.
For instance, you aren't supposed to put any other gods before God, but that is kinda what happened. It's all about Jesus now not God. Then you aren't supposed to worship idols or have any pictures ect, but we have crosses, all these pictures of Angels, Jesus, etc. It just seems to me at least this goes against what we are supposed to do when we worshiop God. I have been losing my faith for about 5 years or so, a little each day. I want to believe, it just seems like we are missing the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong I think that Jesus existed, just not sure if he was THE messiah or not. I was reading about the jewish faith, and read that the reason that the Jews did not think Jesus was the messiah, was because he didn't fulfill the majority of the prophecies about him in the Torah, or what Isaiah and Ezekiel.

So I guess what I want to know has anyone else ever thought about this and coverted, or should I just go talk to a pastor?

I believe in God once again, just not sure if Jesus is the son of God, I also deeply believe in science, and sometimes science doesn't agree with the Bible. (I don't think we are alone in the universe) there is some conflictions there as well. I want to believe, just not sure what. I know it's just a matter of faith, but I'm not sure how much faith I have in all of this.

don't know if it matters but I have been baptized and "saved". That is I think the only thing holding me back. I want to go to Heaven

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by i_want_to_believe
For instance, you aren't supposed to put any other gods before God, but that is kinda what happened. It's all about Jesus now not God.

What about Isaiah 9:6? Unto us a son is given and his titles, "Everlasting Father" and "The Mighty GOD"? According to that, this "son" that would be given would have to be him.

Another interesting thing. What's there to do about sin? The temple was demolished in AD70, interestingly not long after Jesus' sacrifice and the book of hebrews having a chance to be circulated around, teaching them of his sacrifice.

People without him are dieing in their sins, Jews also. Only he will reveal that to you. I suggest seek him.

So I guess what I want to know has anyone else ever thought about this and coverted, or should I just go talk to a pastor?

I've thought about a lot of things. Yet the only way I could leave the LORD is if he cast me out, literally and gave my mind over to something else. He said if any come to him, he will in no way cast them out.

Based on my own relationship with him. I don't think you have ever known him. The only advice I can give is seek him while he may be found.

And regarding "pastor", I'll quote David: The LORD is my pastor, I shall not lack.

I want to go to Heaven

If the King doesn't know you, how will you be invited to sit at his table?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was looking for advice, not to get yelled at. I was asking in general, I don't know everything the Bible says. I found God a long time ago, I am sure the majority of people have at sometime questioned their faith, that doesn't mean they don't know God or Jesus for that matter. I really thought someone would have some insightful advice for me. I guess not.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I was looking for advice, not to get yelled at.

No yelling intended.
Letter must be louder than voice.

I really thought someone would have some insightful advice for me. I guess not.

Please forgive me for giving any.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by i_want_to_believe

I think the best thing to do would be to go and talk with a pastor and a rabbi.

It's a big decision so you should hear from both before you make up your mind.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Your not converting for the jokes are you?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseSheep

No yelling intended.
Letter must be louder than voice.

Your post didn't seem like yelling, at least not to me. I thought it was rather nicely written, and non-confrontaional

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Reply to i_want_to_believe

Then you aren't supposed to worship idols or have any pictures ect, but we have crosses, all these pictures of Angels, Jesus, etc. It just seems to me at least this goes against what we are supposed to do when we worship God.

How about converting to Islam?
All your feelings you have put forward about God kinda related to Islam.
We only worship the one God and nothing else.

You might wana have a look at this link for some info;

www.sultan.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

There is a form of Christianity that you may not know about. It is unitarianism, as opposed to trinitarianism. I am not talking about the Unitarian Church. Here is a link to a blog that I have been reading. It is by a pastor who changed from being a trinitarian. He has almost 100 essays that should be very enlightening.
thefaithofjesus.blogspot.com...
I can tell you about my personal experience with Judiasm. I was lucky because I looked into it at what was the perfect time for me. I showed up at the local Temple right when the new Rabbi was giving his first Friday night service there (he had just transfered from being the Rabbi at a larger Temple). He had done his doctoral thesis on how Judiasm and Christianity had split and he was keen on starting an institution to bring them together, by way of opening dialoge between the different religions. He had already heard an elder from my church speak and was very impressed with him. He also had my sister in his class in comparative religion at the local junior college and found her to be a good student. He invited me to attend his classes on Judiasm that he was holding at the Temple. I was probubly more open to all this than the ordinary Christian because of my background in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I actualy met a man there who had married a Jewish woman and was in the process of converting. It turned out that he had gone to the main Adventist college for studying theology. I ended up going to his conversion ceremony.
I was involved with all this for about three years, studying and going to the meetings and having private conversations with the Rabbi. I quit going after that Rabbi ended his work for that Temple.
My conclusion is that Christians have no buisness with Jews, as far as religion goes. It is good to know about it, but we do not belong with them. They are all about tradition and you will find that they have about as much to do with the Bible as Christians have to do with the New Testament. You will never be able to grasp the whole Jewish thing unless you were raised in it. You will end up completely un-satisfied. My advice is to start out by reading the blog that I linked to, and to find your own understanding of Christianity, without all the pagan baggage that has been tacked on to it.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

top topics

join