It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

De-stressing without medication or ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
......self prescribed drugs.
Has anyone here in our community tried unusual or unconventional methods to alieviate symptoms of constant /periodical stress?

Relaxation does not help me but sometimes certain 'feel good' songs or ambient/new age music/soundscapes/ instrumentals seem to lower my stress levels.
I'm not really into homeopathic/herbal treatments (never tried them!) but do any of these potions have genuine benefits?
I need to lower/extinguish my stress levels desperately.
Any suggestions or recommendations, folks?
All ideas considered.:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I am the same way. Unfortunately, I have no idea about what to do. That's why I would love to hear from someone who does know of a way of relieving stress and other anxieties without some sort of medication.

What I do sometimes when I'm upset I go to photobucket and save anime icons and cool anime pictures onto my ipod. I dont know why. Just reading nice anime icons with my feelings on it help and make me move on with the thought of being stronger like them. I have no idea why. Sorry if that is really strange.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by UnforgiveableSin]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Break stuff!

Go to the gym.

Stress out everyone around you so that you appear to be the calm one!

Swim.

Get a massage. (happy ending?)

Buy a nice rug, sit on it when you need to chill, be "The Dude".

Masturbate.

Try having a siesta.

Reflexology type foot inserts for ya shoes.

Chill

MonKey

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ride a bicycle

eat some ice creme

meditate

play your guitar

see a shrink

biofeedback works

alcohol in moderation

the herb

have a nice hot bath

play your guitar

walk around

talk to the trees

avoid conspiracy sites!!

anyway what's wrong with perscription drugs? I personally use valium or lorazapam when I'm twisted. I like it!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I once had a social studies teacher who told our class that the only true way to aleviate stress was to take care of the problem and all the other methods just cover the stress up.

I agree with that to a point. However how can you work through a problem if you're all tense and not thinking clearly?

So as for myself, music is definatly a calming factor for me. Especially songs that have lyrics that seem to mirror the way I am feeling. A good laugh or talking to a friend always helps me too.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Well after a bad day at work i go to gym for about 2 hours that seems to help me.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
For me, I go to the forest .. I just take a flask of a hot drink, sit on a big old tree stump and just take in all the things around me,

Works a treat,

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I suffer from extreme anxiety, so my stress level is pretty high!

I decided to try yoga, but it's more of a work out than a relaxation technique, so I tried meditation but it wasn't my thing...

Mostly I just have a nice tea (green tea mostly, because it's my favourite) and snuggle up with a good book or movie when I'm especially stressed out.

However, I take vitamins and one of the ones I take is a B vitamin, which I've been told is good for your nerves, and I notice a bit of a difference when I don't take it. Not sure it -actually- helps with that, but it's a thought! It wouldn't hurt to try, right?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
i would recommend saint johns wort by eclectic institute

standardized for hyperforin's at 3% , not hypercerin

the other brands may be ok, but this one has given my peace of mind in the past

also avoid telling yourself things like the last poster did such as "i have high anxiety so i xyz....."

it seems silly (DUH) but your brain can be like a computer program and say ok that's what i will have indefinetely.

better to phrase it in a better way i.e i have had a higher period of stress and nerve's and it has taken me a while but why could i beleive i am working thru it

running can also improve your mental outlook because it produces endorphins.......endorphins improve mental outlook and health

top topics

join