It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investors may see dividends disappear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Investors may see dividends disappear

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK - With credit markets continuing their downward spiral, investors could see their dividends disappearing in 2008.

Dividend cuts or suspensions will continue to pick up among financial services firms in 2008, said Howard Silverblatt, a senior index analyst at Standard & Poor's. In 2007, fewer companies increased dividends, according to Standard & Poor's, while more companies in 2007 than in 2006 actually cut or suspended dividends.

Many investors rely on dividend payments as a source of income, and financial institutions in particular have been rich sources of large payouts. Their need to raise capital in the face of rising loan defaults, though, has made their dividends one of the first places they look to save money.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Anyone rely on dividend payments to survive? What are your thoughts on this?
Like I have said before I do not know that much about the stock market but this article worries me because of the financial markets lack of cash for pay outs.
Is this even legal?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

I know of a few retired people who need these to help supplement their fixed incomes. People such as these who do not have spouces living anymore or recently deceased are the most vulnerable.

Property taxes should be grandfathered in for these people and go against the value of the property when they can no longer afford these either.
Many elderly refuse to leave their residences, especially when all there is is a retirement home. Many property scams, unnecessary or false hospital billings and procedures, crooked unreliable brokers, and tax seizures are also allegedly used against these needy and highly vulnerable people.

This should be a topic for the current political debates.

join