It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tuition and higher education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Many people I know have this problem, trying to transfer their college credits from one college to another. This really boils my blood and makes me extremely angry. This is the second biggest racket in the USA (Health Insurance and insurance in general is the first).

Here is one example; a guy I know, has an AS degree in Information Systems Technologies. He wants to earn a BS degree in IS or IT, so he tries another college, which they don't accept any of his 70+ credits and give him a buzz-line of "Quality of education" and "Doesn't meet the standards of our institution", so he skips that one, goes to another which promises maximum transfer credits, which the maximum means like a whopping NINE credits. He did eventually find an accredited online college that accepted near all his past college credits.

Why they do this; I seriously do not believe that they want to provide a better quality education or another favorite "Our lower level course work will provide you with a solid foundation...", it is ALL ABOUT MONEY. At the average of $250-360 per unit, the colleges would be raking in lots and lots of money by NOT accepting past credits, because transferring students would have to repeat like 20+ courses (Yes, two or more years worth of college of repeated courses). Interestingly enough... The colleges that claim to be "Military Friendly" always charge $250 per unit, which happens to be the maximum for Military Tuition assistance. Navy Tuition Assistance In theory, if the Military TA would pay $350 per unit, then the "military friendly" schools would in turn raise their rates.

This is NO different than insurance companies that refuse to pay (car, health, dental, home owners, etc) or cover for accidents and other misfortunes.

My solution is simple, it is to boycott this form of financial abuse. Boycott. I wonder how all the 4 year colleges and universities would
survive if all students in the USA decided to take a year off from college...

For those in the USA, we live in a capitalist society, which means, if you cannot afford the college or if they are being stubborn and not accepting any of your transfer credits, find one that does and recommend it to others in the same situation. The downside to that is, I only know of one that is online and affordable, and only DETC accredited.

When politicians and regular folks complain about the widening class and economic gap between the poor, middle-class and rich in the USA, Education affordability is a key component to the class and economic gap.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Education is expensive, but it is more available today in the US than it has ever been.

You don't provide enough information to determine what the issue is with the transfer of credits, but problems of this kind usually involve accreditation.

That is why it is important to check accreditation before you lay down your cash.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yeah that's a crappy deal. Although I'd like to believe that the top priority of all colleges is quality of education, they're first and foremost businesses. Here's an excerpt from an interesting NY Times article on the school business:

www.nytimes.com...
For many parents, the cost of college casts a long shadow before and beyond the time their child actually spends in college. With financial aid lagging behind tuition at private institutions and state subsidies declining at public ones, it gets harder every year for low-income students to pay their way. Like hospitals, colleges have generally got the benefit of the doubt on the question of why they cost so much, and many people still regard them as selfless institutions above and beyond the self-serving rules of the marketplace. But their reputation for probity and virtue is deteriorating fast.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As for your solution, I'd take another look. I don't think it's that simple.

new topics

join