It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Will Control Your Thermostat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

What should be controversial in the proposed revisions to Title 24 is the requirement for what is called a "programmable communicating thermostat" or PCT. Every new home and every change to existing homes' central heating and air conditioning systems will required to be fitted with a PCT beginning next year following the issuance of the revision. Each PCT will be fitted with a "non-removable " FM receiver that will allow the power authorities to increase your air conditioning temperature setpoint or decrease your heater temperature setpoint to any value they chose. During "price events" those changes are limited to +/- four degrees F and you would be able to manually override the changes. During "emergency events" the new setpoints can be whatever the power authority desires and you would not be able to alter them.

src www.americanthinker.com...

Just a matter of time for this really. There are abusers of heating and air-conditioning and given the consumer power consumption rates and potential for rolling brown/blackouts this is inevitable. However do hard working citizens want their home temperatures regulated to abide by this potential energy saving measure? A lot of people I know and I'm sure many here do use programmable thermostats to create a comfortable abode. I just hope the same tactics are used in big business buildings that typically maintain 24/7 comfort levels of heating & cooling.

brill

[edit on 6-1-2008 by brill]

join