It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Plan to Double Shuttle Flights Raises Red Flags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   

NASA Plan to Double Shuttle Flights Raises Red Flags

www.washingtonpost.com

NASA's plan to increase the number of space shuttle flights it launches this year, in an effort to speed up final assembly of the international space station, has stoked concern among independent experts that the space agency is placing scheduling demands on the 27-year-old fleet similar to those that contributed to the Challenger and Columbia disasters.
NASA has scheduled six shuttle launches this year -- twice the number of flights it managed in each of the past two years -- but that plan has already been complicated by the grounding of the shuttle Atlantis as the result of a recurring electrical problem.

Although NASA has many new safety procedures in place as a result of the Columbia accident, the schedule has raised fears that the space agency, pressured by budgetary and political considerations, might again find itself tempting fate with the shuttles, which some say were always too high-maintenance for the real world of space flight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Here's the money quote:

William H. Gerstenmaier, who has been with the shuttle program since its inception and is now NASA's chief of space operations, acknowledges that flying the shuttles has driven home time and again just how difficult it is to send men and women into space.

Nonetheless, he said that, despite their age, the shuttles are safer now than ever because NASA has learned so much more about flying them.

I feel much better about the safety of the shuttles knowing that NASA finally knows how to fly them, now that they are aerospace antiques.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well not that I believe in planet x 2012 or the other 2012 theory that crossing the suns northern hempisphere will cause our planet to flip poles or rotate the opposite way.

But why the rush it does make me sceptical.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
Here's the money quote:

William H. Gerstenmaier, who has been with the shuttle program since its inception and is now NASA's chief of space operations, acknowledges that flying the shuttles has driven home time and again just how difficult it is to send men and women into space.

Yeah, difficult like trying to use an overloaded antique ox cart in the fast lane on the I-10 eastbound out of LA at the beginning of a holiday weekend.

Stop using this phony, aging, and long in the tooth horse and pony show NASA, and show us all what you've really got!!

We paid for it, we deserve it!

[edit on 7-1-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Yeah, it's nearly impossible, but SpaceShipOne won the X Prize with a composite/laminate tin can built on a shoestring budget.

Really there are two things, heavy lift, to get stuff into space, and manned spaceflight, which can be accomplished easily with a variant of SpaceShipOne design, and which was done in the 60s with the X-15. They combined the two with the shuttle which was a big mistake.

Seems NASA wants to make things as hard as possible, and you see no push for innovation. Why? Why not send up astronauts in minishuttles piggybacked on big jets, then inserted into LEO, while the cargo goes up on conventional rockets and they dock? Just not impressive enough, I guess.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOplayerhater
Well not that I believe in planet x 2012 or the other 2012 theory that crossing the suns northern hempisphere will cause our planet to flip poles or rotate the opposite way.

But why the rush it does make me sceptical.

For some time now I have the impression that there are some (those in the power structure) who know that something disasterous/catastrophic is coming and that the International Space Station will be the refuge for the chosen few to wait it out (the Ark in orbit). But, even if that is true, they couldn't stay up their for a long time period; and would you really envy them considering the trials of long-term survival not to mention the rebuilding civilization(??).

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Working on the "International Space Station" is just for public consumption. Something big is going on in Earth's orbit and all the human cattle below are oblivious, and most probably don't even care. They're getting ready for the new season of American Idol.

BTW, if the poles shift then conceivably there would be one point on Earth where if I stood I personally would only shift slightly......correct? That's where you'll find me.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NWOplayerhater

Niburu/Planet X is not impossible; there are orbital perturbations of the planets that suggest an unexplained mass acting upon them and its presence has been seriously proposed to explain these anomalies. Also, the current understanding of other planetary systems is that double suns and eccentrically orbiting planets are actually not that uncommon. But to me it rests a curious proposition and the myths around it are a train of wild suppositions.

Indeed much more interesting is what's the hurry? Why crank up these old jalopies in a race now?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This really concerns me considering the shape that the space shuttles are in. I personally believe NASA knows something and is not telling us. Why would they risk having another incident with one of the shuttles just to finish the ISS?? Maybe it has something to do with the disappearance of comet 85P/Boethin.

Are we looking at ELE?.?.? I don't know, but something fishy is going on. Of course, we're talking about NASA here so go figure.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by Dr Love

BTW, if the poles shift then conceivably there would be one point on Earth where if I stood I personally would only shift slightly......correct? That's where you'll find me.
Peace

Some quick computations lead me to believe that that point will be the Treasure Hawk mine in Gold Butte, Nevada.

As a fellow member of ATS you would be welcome and the only requirement is an offering of a bottle of Courvoisier XO and a box of Cohiba Esplendidos. (Be sure there not the Canadian knock offs).

Thanks

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I just wonder if some of the solar magnetic events with sunspot24 come into play here or not? I know that they have specific protocols for dealing with the EMP's, such as securing the electronics on board as well as the astronauts riding it out in special compartments. Since this event has begun several months earlier than originally expected, it could in all probability be a factor. Just a guess of course as NASA will be the last agency to disclose any real information to the GP.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by johnlear

John are you securing your mine in Nevada yet? Now would be a good time. Don't forget your hydroponics.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Hey Doc, we all always knew the center of the earth is in Texas--that's all y'all ever tell us!

More OT, you see reports that the ISS is also aging badly already, so what gives? Finish it in a rush with obsolete shuttles before it too becomes obsolete?

John thanks for the invitation to your mine shaft, if I ever have to take you up on it I'll bring a case, if DHS doesn't confiscate it as dangerous liquids--which in the wrong hands they definitely are.

new topics

top topics

join