It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Is Beginning To Imitate Art......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Now, what i am about to talk about is how the very mediums that we enjoy (being books, art, video games, movies, cartoons, etc.) in our daily lives are unfortuantly reflecting that of the real world. I'll give you some examples, and at the end of each example, i will devulge as to how i feel towards it.

VIDEO GAMES

Frontlines: Fuel of War

Frontlines: Fuel of War is set in a dystopian 2024 in the midst of a global energy crisis. As supplies of oil and natural gas wane, diplomatic relationships between the East and West were strained, causing new alliances to be formed. The two major alliances in the Frontlines era are the Western Coalition, consisting of the United States and the European Union, and the Red Star Alliance, made up of Russia and the People's Republic of China. As the last oil fields start to go dry, the countries move to secure what resources are left, leading to several small outbreaks that turn quickly into full scale war.

en.wikipedia.org...:_Fuel_of_War

That alone already scares the bejesus out of me. 2024 , US/EU VS. RU/CH , No more Oil, Full Scale War. All of these things that are being made into a video game eerily reflects that of real world life. The political tensions between the US and Russia have been worsening somewhat over time, and with oil now a threat to our very lives in the US (most recently the $100 a barrel) , it seems that we are the ones playing for our lives. And with the timeframe of 2024, a mere 12 years after the big 2012, it some food for thought.

Tom Clancys EndWar

In 2011, the United States and the European Union sign the historic SLAMS (Space-Land-Air Missile Shield) Treaty, agreeing to co-develop technologies for a comprehensive, interlocking anti-ballistic missile system. Left out of the treaty, Russia accelerates development of its own system. SLAMS is activated in 2014. The US and EU launch test salvos against each other, which the SLAMS weapons completely destroy. Emboldened by the success of the tests, the US and EU pronounces "the end of strategic nuclear war," and the world celebrates a new age of peace and security.

However, in 2015 it is found that major oil companies have overstated the amount of recoverable oil reserves. The price of oil spikes to USD 200 per barrel, sending stock markets in New York, London, and Tokyo into a massive downturn. Energy security becomes the explicit priority of governments around the world. Only Russia, already the world's No.1 supplier of oil and natural gas, benefits from the energy crisis, spending its oil profits on modernizing its armed forces. A nuclear war occurs between Saudi Arabia and Iran in 2016, creating a global energy crisis that greatly affects the nations of Europe. Once an alliance of individual countries, the EU now evolves into a continental state called the "European Federation" (EF). The United Kingdom is not required to join the EF and remains neutral, while being allies of the EF and the US.

In 2018, the United States reveals plans to launch the "Freedom Star" space station into high orbit by 2020. While partly designed for civilian research purposes, the station will also house three companies of US Marines, who can deploy anywhere on Earth within 90 minutes. International reaction is extremely negative, to say the least. In 2020, when the final module of the Freedom Star is set to launch from Kennedy Space Center amid international outcry, it comes as little surprise when a group of terrorists attack the launch site. In investigating the source of the attack, the US, the EF, and Russia find themselves at odds, rolling with unstoppable momentum toward full-scale global war.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_EndWar

Leave it to Tom Clancy to make an alternate reality plot that can be bought off as real life if we were 25 years into the future. As i read this, i thought i was reading out of a history book. Both of these games i just showed have shown as to how close the medium of fantasy and flair has now become our own worst nightmare because at any moment in time it could become true. Each and every day that passes with game develepors making new concepts of games, they rip them off of todays news headlines, and create a new world where the nightmare happens. Sure its all fun and games in the end, when the good guys win......i cant be so sure when it hits reality.

BOOKS

Tom Clancys the Sum of All Fears

The plot begins in 1973, during the Yom Kippur War; at its height the Israelis opt for a tactical nuclear strike, but this is changed at the last minute. Unfortunately, one Mark 12 nuclear weapon is not yet removed from an Israeli attack aircraft. That aircraft is shot down and crashes into the mountains, and the nuclear weapon is lost

en.wikipedia.org...

The rest of the plot goes to where a group of Muslim extremist terrorists find the bomb and plan to use it for their own nefarious deeds.

Interestingly enough, it closely shadows the Missing Nuclear Bomb incident some odd months ago or so, when 1 nuclear missile is still missing. Again, the looming threat of life imitating art draws closer. What will happen with the missing nuke ( in real life i mean)? Oh , you thought i was still talking about the book?.......exactly.......( IMO of course lol).

I dont have anything else for books because i dont read that much anymore unfortuantly, but anyone else can fill in if need be.

MOVIES

WarGames

The film is set late in the Cold War period, opening on a U.S. Air Force ICBM launch control center. During a test of operational readiness, twenty-two percent of crews tested failed to launch their missiles, prompting NORAD to install an automated computer system, the "War Operation Plan Response" or WOPR, to oversee launching of U.S. nuclear missiles.

en.wikipedia.org...

Then as you can guess, chaos will ensue when a High School computer hacking student breaks into the program and , unbeknowsnt to him, inadvertantly triggered a possible World War 3. Even though this movie was made during the Cold War, and not necessarily at the height of all of it, it was still a very scary time. Close enough to the point where you wuold be scared yourself if some moron pressed the wrong button and initiated the sequence to lauch dozenz of ICBMs. Oopsy , eh? Well, in real life, that costs some lives , buddy.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
SECOND PART

MOVIES cont.

The AniMatrix

The AniMatrix is a group of 9 short films that prelude the Matrix trilogy and gives background info. about it and about other characters. The main one i will focus on is the episode called "The Second Renaisance".

Beginning in the mid twenty-first century, Part I describes the creation of the machines and the origins of their conflict with the human civilizations of Earth. Part II reveals the first war between the humans and machines, ending with a machine victory in the later years of the century and the establishment of machine control over Earth. Unlike the other shorts from The Animatrix, both parts of The Second Renaissance are structured as fictional documentary films (see mockumentary and docudrama).

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, when i first saw the AniMatrix and saw these episodes, i was actually intrigued as to how WE would really act as humans in todays society and morals towards robots whom had self aware knowledge. Seeing the AniMatrix version, i would conclude unfortuantly that humans today would indeed act like this. I'm not saying that i wouldnt act that way myself (thats another story not for the this thread XD) , but taking that to the extreme shown, i am not surprised....... How would the world really react if life as we know it , RIGHT NOW, is a Matrix......that we were led to this point because of our actions in the past?

That is all i have concerning what i made. Though there is undoubtedly more, i will leave my reason to all of this.

Everyday, we our lives degrading, from the crappy economy, to the everyday strifes of work and school, boiling down as to what will we eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. EVERY FACTOR IN OUR LIVES, have been what we make of them. Ranging from wheter or not we will work today (helping the economy), wheter we ditch school or not (your school losing money), down to wheter or not you want to buy that handmade stool in the family buisness store your in (again helping the economy, and also giving the money to a local buisness that resides in your town). Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. That is to say, we are the drivers of our own future, and what we make of it cannot be changed. However, that may be coming to a close.

We see nowadays Life Imitating and Mimicing Art, whether its good or bad. These examples i showed you, are merely the tip of the iceberg of whats out there. All i'm saying is, is to open your mind, and examine whats around your and your vincinity. It may not be what you think it is, and not know where it exactly came from......

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
MUSIC

I've found some examples for music.....

You take a mortal man,
And put him in control
Watch him become a god,
Watch peoples heads aroll
Aroll...

/chorus/
Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes,
Swaying to the symphony...
Of destruction

Acting like a robot,
Its metal brain corrodes.
You try to take its pulse,
Before the head explodes.
Explodes...

/chorus/

The earth starts to rumble
World powers fall
Awarring for the heavens,
A peaceful man stands tall
Tall...

/chorus/

Megadeth, Symphony of Destruction
www.lyricsfreak.com...

Personally, my interpretation of this song is about the AntiChrist. Why? Because, the AntiChrist would at first be the harbinger of peace after destruction, as the song implies at the end. What about the beginning? Well to put it simply , if you put a regular person at a very high position of power, he may undoubtedly use it for negative purposes, thus this person in the song igniting war and death, with millions of brainwashed slaves at his reign.

Depeche Mode, John the Revelator

Google Video Link

Well if the video doesnt work, heres the link:

video.google.com...

I think the video is pretty self explanatory.....dont ya think? Just depends on your perspective of things. Personally, the way the video presents Bush, i think is not correct. I dont view Bush in the negative way as many view him as. Though i dont always agree with him, he is the President, and i stand with him.

Let me try to put some religious signifigance in here too.....

Iced Earth, Melancholy

Make the sadness go away
Come back another day
For years I've tried to teach
But their eyes are empty
Empty too I have become
For them I must die
A sad and troubled race
An ungrateful troubled place

(Chorus)
I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die
Look at the pain around me
This is what I cry for
Look at the pain around me
This is what I'll die for

Make the sadness go away
Come back another day
The things I've said and done
Don't matter to anyone
But still, you push me to see
Something, I can never be
Why am I their shattered king?
I don't mean anything

(Chorus)

(Solo)

(2xChorus)

www.lyricsondemand.com...

The pure, blunt truth to me that this song is trying to convey is about Jesus dying for us. Putting it in modern terms, religion is being viewed as something to save us all from, and the end for us, is more than likly something very bad....Many view the Pope, the ever-coming Allah, Jesus' second return, the all-mighty Messiah as the idols to save us all. Its these images of entities that drive home the message of we needing to be saved....and this song reflects the pain and sorrow the world has evolved into.

And finally, this is one of my top favorite songs of all, ever.

Faithless, Mass Destruction

[CHORUS]
Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber
Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether you're Soaraway Sun or BBC 1
Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruct
You coulda Caucasian or a poor Asian
Racism is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether inflation or globalization
Fear is a weapon of mass destruction

My dad came into my room holding his hat
I knew he was leaving,
He sat on my bed told me some facts.
Son, I have the duty, calling on me
You and your sister be brave my little soldier
And don't forget all I told ya
Your the mister of the house now remember this
And when you wake up in the morning give ya momma a kiss
Then I had to say goodbye
In the morning woke momma with a kiss on each eyelid,
Even though I'm only a kid
Certain things can't be hid
Momma grabbed me
Held me like I was made of gold
But left her inner stories untold
I said, momma it will be alright
When daddy comes home, tonight

[CHORUS]
Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone
Greed is a weapon of mass destruction

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction (x3)

The skin under my chin is exploding again.
I'm getting stress from some other children
I'm holding it in.
We taking sides like a politician
And if i get friction we get to fighting.
I'll defend my dad he's the best of all men
and whatever he's doing he's doing the right thing.
It's frightening, but it makes me mad,
Why do all of these people seem to hate my dad?
And if that ain't enough now i get these spots.
I go to sleep every night with my stomache in knots
And what's more, i can hear momma next door
Explore the radio for reports of war.
And all we ever seem to do is hide the tears.
Seems like daddy been gone for years.
But he was right, now i'm geared up for the fight
and he would be proud of me.

[CHORUS]
Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone

We need to find the courage

My story stops here, lets be clear.
This scenario is happening everywhere.
And you ain't going to nirvana or far-vana,
you're coming right back here to live out your karma.
With even more drama than previously, seriously.
Just how many centuries have we been
waiting for someone else to make us free?
And we refuse to see
that people overseas suffer just like we:
Bad leadership and ego's unfettered and free
Who feed on the people they're supposed to lead
I don't need good people to pray and wait
For the lord to make it all straight.
There's only now, do it right.
'Cos I don't want your daddy, leaving home tonight

[CHORUS]
Whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone

You kind of have to listen to the song to get the feeling, but with words alone, its there. This song is saying the truth, to me. A wicked mind in the hands of an evil person, can bring such negative implications to us all. Racism, war, famine, diesease, are all because of the greed and selfishness that some have, and are able to further their agenda because of their evil will to cause pain and discomfort in our lives.

Here is the YouTube link for you to hear it.

youtube.com...

Thanks.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join