It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somethings Wrong Here...A LIVE Mosquito In the Middle of Winter! [Pictures provided]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Okay, this is just weird...and absolutely strange. Now the presence of Mosquitos is quite a common thing....but seeing a Mosquito here during the cold winters is definitely NOT a common thing. I found this little guy alive and well flying around in my bathroom. Keep in mind the past couple of days here in Connecticut the temps have dropped to about 4 degrees during the night, there's no way in heck this guy could have survived that (especially considering the short lifespan of a mosquito). Another important thing I should mention is that the temperatures are going to reach a high of 60 degrees F on Tuesday.
If this picture of a mosquito flying around in the dead of winter isn't alarming, I don't know what is. Something is up folks, and it can't be good.

Feel free to critique my pictures for the skeptics out there, they were just taken a few minutes ago at approx. 12 midnight. Current temps are about 32 - 33 degreees F.

[EDIT] Excuse my ignorance, I did some research and found that this might be a crane fly, not a mosquito, but still part of the mosquito "family".
They usually peak around summer time...totally out of the ordinary to see one alive and flying around in the dead of winter.

[edit on 1/5/2008 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Probably a female that happened to hibernate in a crack that was accessible to the inside. When the right combination of house heat and humidity surrounded her, she thought it was spring and woke up.

Mosquitoes In Winter (emphasis mine)

While most species of mosquitoes spend the winter as eggs, the adult females of some species spend the winter hiding in piles of dead leaves, under loose tree bark, or cracks in buildings.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
Probably a female that happened to hibernate in a crack that was accessible to the inside. When the right combination of house heat and humidity surrounded her, she thought it was spring and woke up.

Mosquitoes In Winter (emphasis mine)

While most species of mosquitoes spend the winter as eggs, the adult females of some species spend the winter hiding in piles of dead leaves, under loose tree bark, or cracks in buildings.

I agree it's very possible that this was what happened, although I'm not totally convinced for some reason. It just doesn't seem like it could hide in the cracks of the house because it has been so very cold these past few days (4 degrees F during the night), even if it was hiding in a crack I'm sure the 4 degree temperatures would get to it, my common sense tells me that, even though it may be off. Who knows?

Whats even more alarming (and a bit off topic) is the fact that just a few nights ago it was nearing zero degrees F and now less than a week later we're expecting temperatures to soar to 60 + degrees F? Surely that can confuse many species, including bugs to come out of hibernation?

[edit on 1/6/2008 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jeepin4x4girl

where i live the temperature drops down to minus 28 celsius sometimes and is often - 10c for a high a month at a time but we burn wood for our wood stove besides having electric heat---near as i can determine we get the occasional mosquito flying around inside the house every now and then shorly after i bring in a couple of days worth of firewood at a time.somehow these pests find a crack in the wood and make a home in there for winter outside.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
We've been getting crazy wildlife in the UK for quite a few years now.

"Spring" will come early, flowers will bloom and insects will come out, only to be obliterated when Winter decides to show up for work and freeze everything.

Some species of birds get all confused too. Some breed to early and some breed too late in the year due to the irregular seasons we have. We don't have a normal Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter thing anymore. It just makes it up as it goes along.

Anyone who doubts climate change should come and live in the UK. You'll see what is going on when compared to historical records.

On a personal level, I don't mind the bugs getting confused. I HATE wasps, and when they get killed off due to an early warm snap, I smile with evil glee.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Hey, I have the same problem, but mine is a genuine mosquito and a few days ago it was a weird fly. That is the reason I came to the site I searched the web and came to ATS for which I am already a member.

Also, we are in the middle of a major snow,sleet and rain storm right now but when I seen the fly the weather was not bad but a normal February day in Massachusetts.

I don't know if we can conclude either way just yet as to why they are appearing but this does look suspicious. Let's keep our eyes peeled.

Ya never know with all the tampering what kind of craziness could be reaped.

[edit on 13-2-2008 by avirgowen]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I've seen 3 live ones, outside. And I do live quite far in the north. It's been really warm winter so it's not a surprise.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I've seen mosquitos in the middle of winter in Alaska, they are a tough breed of bug.

Ah, the Alaska state bird... the omnipresent mosquito. One night whilst working in Alaska I heard voices under my bed...thinking this rather odd, I looked, and what do my wondering eyes see? Two mosquitos pondering whether or not to eat me here, or take me home first. LOL.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Also:
That's a male mosquito.
The males are quite large, while the females are much smaller, and only the females suck blood.
(I could be wrong but that's what i knew about it, although i am no expert)

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This is likely a Winter Crane Fly.

There is a winter crane fly that flies only during the winter months
and provides food for our overwintering songbirds like the winter wren.

There ya go.

Ugly devils, aren't they?

[edit on 13-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jeepin4x4girl

looks more like a mosquito eater . im not sure exactly what mosquito eaters do but they dont harm humans or have anything to do with us at all.they may get in the house and ialso think they lay eggs like mosquitos in water thats slow moving or not at all.i actually think mosquito eaters eat mosquitos and also freeze then come back to life

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The insects, animals, birds get confused with the climate changes.
I've seen mosquitoes, wasps, etc flying around my home in winter. It's a common occurance.

Some years my cherry tree blossoms early or pots of dead flowers (annuals) I left outside suddenly spring to life.

top topics

join