It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ring around the moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Hi ATS'ers,
The pics are taken on Aruba on the night of the 23 dec 2007. Can someone please tell me what it all is?
I saw a giant ring around the moon right above my head, I believe thats a sign of rain coming. The yellow planet I think is Mars right, or is it Venus? But what are the coloured spots around Mars/Venus? Is it a camera thing or is it really there in space? I couldn't see the colours during photographing.
The camera is a Canon 350 D
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
OP, I would tend to think you have some lens flare issues in these pictures. I'll wait for more expert camera buffs to speak up, but I doubt that the camera you used could detail Mars that well in any event.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I've seen a giant beautiful ring around the moon before, I think its just the same thing as when you point the torch or something at your face, a ring of light appears around it.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Those pics are great.

The colored spots look like mini aurora borialis lights.

The image of Mars right by the moon is as good as any I have seen.

It was supposed to be an important conjuction of planets that night.

Thanks for posting them

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I remember seeing a ring just like that around the moon with my own eyes on December 23. I was in Norway at the time.

edit to add: It was a full moon the next day. I regret now that I didn't take a picture of it.

[edit on 2008/1/5 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I remember seeing a ring just like that around the moon with my own eyes on December 23. I was in Norway at the time.

edit to add: It was a full moon the next day. I regret now that I didn't take a picture of it.

Yeah, but I must admit it looks a lot more beautiful and better in real life.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I didn't know that the ring I saw in Norway was also visible on Aruba at the same time

edit: doh

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

The ring you see around the moon is actually small ice particles high up in the earths atmosphere, it is a common sight on cold clear nights. Very pretty.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by Mukiwa]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ahamarlin

Hi ahamarlin/

Thought you might be interested in THIS thread

helen

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mukiwa

It was a cold clear night when i saw it

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yeah strange you could see it also. It was a huge ring and very impressive never saw it before (I was on Aruba for a visit) I live in the Netherlands but never saw it there. A old lady told me she saw it lots of times before on the island. Anyway I'm interested in the other objects, is it Mars or venus and what are the green and pink lights? Flares?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Usually these light phenomena (in this case moon rings) deal with illusions.
To be more specific, reflection of light from ice crystals in the atmosphere.

Ice crystals can cause many things such as: halos, rings, light pillars, sun dogs, and more phenomenon that people don't know about--mainly because of the rarity.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

Hi Helen,
IMHO nothing strange happened end december, or dont we know yet?
I've read the threads about 2012=2007 and for a second when I looked upon the sky that night I saw the mooncirkel It stroke my mind, until a 83 year old lady put me back on my feet when she said she saw a lots of times before rain coming in and she didn't understand why I was taking pictures

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahamarlin

what are the green and pink lights? Flares?

I guess that was your camera being tricked. Like my camera was tricked on a couple of pictures here. Especially that picture with the blue electric looking stuff. And I don't believe this is really a swarm of angels or demons. Did you see it with your own eyes as well?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by ahamarlin

what are the green and pink lights? Flares?

I guess that was your camera being tricked. Like my camera was tricked on a couple of pictures here. Especially that picture with the blue electric looking stuff. And I don't believe this is really a swarm of angels or demons. Did you see it with your own eyes as well?

No just the moon and another planet (the yellow object)
Nice pics! Like the mother moose chasing the dog.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Think this is called a Moon Halo. You can read about it here.
en.wikipedia.org...(optical_phenomenon)

Ive seen a couple of them, and one after it was reported on the local news one night.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I saw this same moon halo on the same night, it lasted for a couple of nights actually. I doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it is always beautiful.

I was in south Texas at the time, cool clear night...but no rain came afterwards though.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthulu
Think this is called a Moon Halo. You can read about it here.
en.wikipedia.org...(optical_phenomenon)

Ive seen a couple of them, and one after it was reported on the local news one night.

Wow, it was on the news.

That's just proof right there that optical illusions such as moon halos are not very well known and can be mistaken for something paranormal or just something very abnormal.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
ive seen this also beautifull sight indeed,

BUT it dont have to be a cold clear night at all, just the right weather conditions in the atmosphere, its allways a cold night up that high,

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Nice pic, I wish I could get ones that good.

Halos are caused by small ice crystals high up in the atmosphere refracting and reflecting light. They are actually more common than people think but it is understandable that you didnt know what it was when you photographed it.

This is a good website that explains all about halos and other atmospheric phenomenen

Oz

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join