It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should (YOU) Be Observing the Biblical Holydays?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to jmdewey60:
tnks for telling me to check your profile--done--guess it will take time to get to know more about the way you think--be patient with me--i'm slow to catch on !

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
Messiah said He was Lord of the sabbath(mark2:28)

Yes now have a look at Matthew 11:28-30. What do you suppose that rest is?

the 10 commandments(exodus20)the 4th commandment is to keep the sabbath.

The sabbath is indeed mandatory. So many fail at this rest. Few there be that find it.

matthew 5:17 Messiah says He didnt come to do away with the law or the prophets but rather to fulfill them(make them more binding---leave us with no excuse for sin)

Yes we are fulfilled in him. He came to set the captives free not take the free captive.

1 john 3:4 sin is the breaking of the law---the penalty for which is death forever unless repented of.

Knowing to do good and not doing it is also sin (James 4:17).

romans6:1-23---the wages of sin is death.

Anyone born again will have no problem with this. Anyone abiding in him needs no further bondage, feast days, circumcision, etc. They are complete in him and he rules them.

The flesh needs bondage, laws, rules and regulations. Even then you can't keep it in line (Romans 8:5-8).

Anyone born of GOD does not bring forth sin, just as John mentions.

Those who are in bondage to the law nitpick things they don't understand attempting to lay a snare in the path of others who are free. They themselves having forsaken the freedom Jesus Christ offers and chosen to return to bondage.

Since he gives us free will. He'll happily hand you over to whatever your heart desires.

Someone who GOD has handed over to this state is as impossible to persuade as an atheist. Actually the same face, just two different sides.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseSheep

Ok, Jesus came to fulfil the will of his father, not to take his place. Christ is our saviour and he pleads for our life before his fathers throne. He kept his fathers law, sabbath, holydays, feasts, everything.

To be "christian" means christlike...........do as he did, which is worship the father, keep his law, give glory to the father.

Too many try to replace the will of the father through their own desire and even substitute the son as the father.

The LORD God of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Enoch, Noah, is the father of Jesus. There is no other................

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I confess that I didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said, but, Christ's Ransom Sacrifice fulfilled the Law and since His death it has no longer been required that those who follow Christ adhere to the Old Testament laws.

Matthew 5:17
[ Christ Fulfills the Law ] "Don't assume that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Christ came to teach us The Way

Romans 13:8
[ Love Our Primary Duty ] Do not owe anyone anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

I do not want to beat up on you. You can go ahead and try to keep all the laws if you feel like it.
Sorry if you feel like I am targeting you, in particular.
Really, I am not worried about you, once I understand where you are coming from. I am not afraid that you are going to lead anyone to hell, or anything like that.
My real target is the Sunday keepers. There are people out there who really think that Sunday is the Sabbath.
One example is Oliver North, famous neo-con. Years ago, on his radio show, he was disscussing a news topic of the judge who had the ten commandments on the wall of his court room. I called up his show and got on the air with him. I asked him if he realized that part of the ten commandments had to do with the Sabbath. I got him to admit that he would like a national Sunday law that made it illegal to work on Sunday.
These are the people I am worried about.
They actually could have the power to force people to follow there own misconceptions. My main point is that Sunday is the anti-Sabbath.
Sunday was a custom of some of the early Christians. It became, with the combination of government with religion, the law of the land. I am thankful that we live in a free country, where we do not have the church police making sure we follow the state religion.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

There are many who are blind and can not see, and deaf who can not hear, pray for the LORD to open your eyes and ears...............

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I posted this in the other thread on the same subject.

Bottom line: The Law could not SAVE Israel and, it sure won't SAVE the Christian from....Anything!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II Corinthians 11:3
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the SIMPLICITY that is in Christ.

Why is it, Christians, fellow believers, are taking something so SIMPLE and transforming it into something complex?

As for saying you keep the Sabbath, as contained in the 10 commandments, BUT don't keep the Law of Moses, that is incorrect. They are not separate. They are one in the same. If you are keeping the Sabbath, you are placing yourslef under the Law.
Think of it this way, the Law of Moses is God's Thesis and the 10 Commandments are the OUTLINE of that long thesis. Each commandment is broken down in length as contained in the Law. You can boast that you keep the Sabbath but do not keep the Law. WRONG. And if you do keep the Sabbath, are you keeping it to the tee as contained in the Law? Not breaking one jot or tittle of it? That is the deceptive part of these preachers that say you must abstain from the Law but adhere to the 10 commandments. There is no way of doing that. They are one in the same.

Hebrews 4:3-11 speaks of a Sabbath that we, as believers in Christ MUST enter, but it has nothing to do with the actual DAY. It is entering into the finished work of Christ upon the cross and RESTING from any effort of ours in finding favor with God. Everyone who is trying to keep the Sabbath, trying to adhere to the Law is making the EXACT mistake Israel did in the desert. It is as if History is repeating itself right down to the core.

I close with this:Acts 15:10-11
10 Now therefore why TEMPT YE GOD, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples (Gentiles), which neither our fathers nor we(Israel) were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Acts 15: 19-20:
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: 20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Bottom line is this, everyone under the Law of Moses in that time considered it a great burden (yoke) weighing them down in keeping the Law. They couldn't keep it and why we should think we can do better, is truly deceiving ourselves.

Why do you think Jesus made the statement?
Matthew 11:30:
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

So don't confuse the 10 commandments and the Law of Moses as being two separate things, they are one in the same and, as of to date, not one man has been able to adhere to any of it except Jesus, hence, that is why by faith in his finished work his righteousness is imputed to you and you are as if you are righteous, as if you had never sinned.
Hebrews 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

When you are IN Christ, you are free from the law and where there is no law, how can anything condemn you of sin? Hence: Romans 8:1
THERE IS THEREFORE NOW NO CONDEMNATION to them that are in Christ Jesus

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

There are many who are blind and can not see, and deaf who can not hear, pray for the LORD to open your eyes and ears...............

I do, my friend, on a daily basis...many times a day. May Father's will be done. Amen.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseSheep

yes i agree with you----anyone born of G-D doesnt sin----but none of us have been born of G-D yet---we are still human beings----when/if we qualify to be born as a G-D Being we will not be human anymore.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
I posted this in the other thread on the same subject.

Bottom line: The Law could not SAVE Israel and, it sure won't SAVE the Christian from....Anything!

Final judgment is the LORD's domain. Keeping the law is paying attention to the request and requirements set down by the father. It is obeying the fathers will.

Hence the term "many are called, few are chosen". Believeing in Christ "AND" keeping the commandments is required...............

Setting yourself up "above" Jesus will not get you into heaven. Jesus obeyed his fathers will in all matters..........and he IS the son of God. Are you better than he?

The law is a requirement not an option.

Think of it this way..........Christ is the area code, the law is the direct (and specific) phone number to the security booth at the gates of New Jerusalem...........Many may know the area code, but will be dialing the wrong number.................

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Exodus 31:15-17 (New International Version)
New International Version

15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death. 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.' "

If you look at this modern traslation, you may notice that the word "lasting" does not mean everlasting. That is refering to the covenent. What does last forever is the "sign" of the Israelites. My opinion is that if you are not an Israelite, you can just skip it. I am a gentile, so I find no obligation to observe the sabbath.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Are you sure you are a gentile? Do you know the definition? What is your ancestory? (U2U me)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The problem with your argument is you are still not following the enire law, you are picking and choosing. Are you sacrificing animals in the prescribed manner? Are you wearing blended clothing? Do you follow the dietary restrictions? Have you stoned anyone to death lately? The odds are you are not or have not done at least one of these. If you want to observe the Holydays go for it, but do it for the right reasons not because you feel you are obligated to. One of the things Jesus was very outspoken about was that the Law was impossible to follow and had hardened the hearts of the Isreal. Why on earth would you want to throw yourself under the bus again when you had already been spared that fate?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

There would be no reason to sacrifice animals since Christ was the sacrificial lamb. That much is obvious. I think the sabbaths and holy days were to be kept until the return of Christ though. Why would passover only be for a Jewish holyday when it is clear Jesus Died for the whole world?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jnthemyst

There is a concept in religion of Type meeting Anti-Type. If the passover represented the sacrifice, then there is no reason to continue with the shadow, when we now have the substance.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

you missed the whole point of what I was saying. Your point on the whole sacrificing animals being a good one but that wasnt really what was being illiustrated. As to my opinion and belief on the whole Sabbath debate is that it provides a model of working six days and resting the seventh as to which day you choose to rest on is a non factor. As it applies to the holydays while it is a good thing that you would choose to observe them, but that it is not essential or required for your salvation. It is the reasons you choose to do them that matter if you are doing it to honor God then do it if you are doing in some attempt to appear Holy then stop because it is not our praise or your sense of self satisfaction you should be after.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1

The problem with your argument is you are still not following the enire law, you are picking and choosing. Are you sacrificing animals in the prescribed manner?

One of the things Jesus was very outspoken about was that the Law was impossible to follow and had hardened the hearts of the Isreal. Why on earth would you want to throw yourself under the bus again when you had already been spared that fate?

Christ did become the lamb.........no more sacrifice....but good try..

The "law" Christ spoke about was the "traditions of man" not the law of moses................good try again.................

Oh, and I do eat correctly, but that isn't a "sin" law, it a health thingy....

[edit on 11-1-2008 by heliosprime]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jnthemyst
reply to post by Jovi1

I think the sabbaths and holy days were to be kept until the return of Christ though. Why would passover only be for a Jewish holyday when it is clear Jesus Died for the whole world?

the prophet zechariah says after Messiah returns all the former enemies of israel will be forced to come to jerusalem every year to keep the feast of tabernacles with the Messiah and the jews (zechariah 14:16-21)

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

If the passover represented the sacrifice, then there is no reason to continue with the shadow, when we now have the substance.

Messiah told His disciples at His last earthly passover service to continue on doing the same.luke 22:19 do this in remembrance of Me.

polycarp the successor of the apostle jonn was leading the remnents of the apostolic church in 155 ce when he was murdered for keeping the 14th day passover.polycrates his successor was required to give an explanation to anicetus bishop of rome as to why they were still keeping the passover on the 14th abib-----and this was in 190 ce----obviously the followers of the apostles and church that the Messiah started on the day of pentecost after His acension believed passover should still be observed today.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1

The problem with your argument is you are still not following the enire law, you are picking and choosing. Are you sacrificing animals in the prescribed manner?

without a temple of G-D at jerusalem and an aaronic/levitical priesthood at work on the temple mount---animal sacrifices are not permitted----when the temple is rebuilt sacrifices will be started again.ezekiel 40-47 describes the temple that will be built and in service during the 1000 year reign of the Messiah on this earth

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join