It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video - Statue of Mary opening eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Video Here

This is cell phone video of a statue of Mary in Italy that has been known to move on it's own. This person caught the statue opening and closing it's eyes.

I have seen a statue of Mary cry tears - in Medjugore and I have seen a statue of Mary change it's facial expression - in Alabama. I have never seen something this dramatic however.

Is it real? Perhaps.
Is it from God? Perhaps.
Is it from the Devil? Perhaps.
It's reason or purpose if real? Who knows. Not statue worship. Those who see these things aren't worshipping the statues and don't start. Most go on to realize that the supernatural and/or God is real and active here on earth.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I can't view the video, but this comment from the video page seems to point to it being an animated statue.

Friday, January 04, 2008 1:56 PM
The week could start in Ispica on the Holy Thursday for the procession of "U patri a culonna"... on Easter Sunday you can experience the joyful "Maronna Vasa Vasa" in Modica, where participants are blessed by the animated statue of the Virgin Mary.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Animated statue? I've never heard of such a thing. That would be interesting - that it's made that way. I've never heard of one being made like that.

Either that, or the 'animated' word is an expression - that the statue is animated ... as in moving on it's own.

I wonder if something's lost in the translation.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
But...a animated virgin would not be seen as a sacrilege or something heretic by the religion? What will they invent after that?...small clock-work brass virgins?...quite insane if that was a mecanic virgin!!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This whole region of Sicily celebrates religious holidays by recreating biblical events with models. They aren't statues in the normal sense, more like plastic dolls with moving parts. The quote was taken from an English language website, so there's nothing to translate.

"participants are blessed by the animated statue of the Virgin Mary."

I couldn't find any photo's of VM but here are some examples of the models they use in the same town the video was shot in.

Here's another article with images.

www.arteutile.net...
On Easter morning, the statues of the resurrected Christ and Virgin Mary are taken outside the church , this procession in Sicilian dialect is called "A Maronna Vasa Vasa" (Madonna that finds her son).
Early Sunday morning the statue of Christ is brought out of the church Santa Maria and a procession carries him through the city. The Madonna is brought out half an hour later looking for the Christ. So, there will be 2 different processions through the main streets of the historical centre where the statues will “search” for each other. At noon the two statues will meet in the square in front of the church. The finale is very exciting, the black mantle slips off the Virgin shoulders revealing a blue mantle, the crowd cheers as the Madonna kisses her son. This is the sign that Easter is arrived.

It's not a miracle, it's just the height of tackiness.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Tacky. Yes. Tacky.

I've been searching for more info on the statue. I can't find that it was made 'animated' (ie - moving on it's own) .... but I can find that it is supposed to commemorate a visitation by Mary in 1091 to Christians and that she scared away a bunch of muslims who were about to kill them.

I'm wondering about the word 'animated' and the language translations. Animated can mean 'full of movement' or it can mean animated as in Disney World figures at The Pirates of the Carribean ride.

Everyplace on the internet that I have been reading about isn't clear.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHH

OMG that was sooooo funny!

Everyone needs to see this!!!!

Oh man I had such a good laugh just now......

I peed myself

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Wow, Mary looks pretty tired! That can't be real!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
A statue might be rigged to weep, I believe the Romans or Greeks managed to do it with statues of their gods......but one wonders....the video reminded me of something....

I once was commissioned to paint about a doz. of the 'Sacred Heart Jesus' 3ft statuary pieces. The facial details were last, and done in a 'piece work' way......all the eyebrows at one time, then the eyes, lips....so on, allowing one step to dry before the next was added. (This usually resulted in a uniform mild 'expression' for a group ).

When I had finished, and backed up to check their overall appearance, I was struck by how they each had a distinct expression.....some looked sad, others loving, some stern, even rather angry !.......It was a bit 'goose-bumpy' to be faced with a room full of those little guys!

I thought it was just me, but the crew that came to pick them up seemed rather struck by their concrete 'gaze' as well .....a normally rowdy bunch, they all quickly removed their caps when they entered the room !!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Since some of us can't see the video, I looked on youtube and I believe this might be it.

youtube.com...

[edit on (1/5/0808 by Hexidecimal]

new topics

top topics

join