It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Astronaut Carving in Ancient Temples in Salamanca, Spain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
1102AD Astronaut Carving Ohemjhie! I searched around, I did not see anyone post this yet. Do you think this is a valid article?? How did the people from 1100 know what a Nasa astronaut would look like??? Is this bunk, is this a fraud?

Here is the website of the cathedral.Ieronimus Cathedral
DWT

[edit on 4-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Just saw the link to it from rense.com and I have to say its gotta be a fake, specially seeing the building was recently renovated.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have to call fake too. Well not fake, but a "recent" addition. It's just doesn't feel real. If anything, the re-modelers carved it in there. They did a pretty good job.

It's still pretty cool. Nice Find

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I've never seen that before. My girlfriend was JUST in spain a few days ago. I'm not sure if she was in that area. Anyway, if its real, then its pretty interesting.. to say the least!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just saw it on Jeff's website as well. Caught me by surprise as a professional artist having studied art history I would definitely have remembered a relief or sculpture like this.

The give away is the erosion and pollution signatures. In comparison this piece shows none of the wear and tear of 800+ years nor the pollution signature of 70 years.

It's either fake or a new addition.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Fake,

Two of the pictures don't even match!

Or at least that's why my eyes tell me at first glance.

That vine/umbilical cord thing isn't the same.....? The first picture shows the cord stopping, where the second, close-up picture shows it curving downward and continuing down behind the leaf part.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Indeed, and if you see better the first pic also have the astronaut face "smashed" (mouth and nose), and the second is perfect.
I think this is proof that the astronaut was there before the restauration!! The first pic is obvious before the restorarion, and the second one is after it.

Why in the end, the original artworkers putt there a modern astronaut...is a mistery.

[edit on 5/1/08 by Umbra Sideralis]

-------------------------
edited quote of entire post above

[edit on 6/1/08 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You all shoul read the last comment on IndianPad:

"yeah. i actually visited this cathedral when i went over to spain earlier last year.
the tour guide said that they repaired that bottom portion of the cathedral and added the astronaut as kind of a joke. there is also an ice cream cone carved into the building several feet from the astronaut…
i touched that astronaut…"

Thread close, i think....

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
One would image that it would have to be a repair performed after the late 1950's and also take into consideration the state of mind of the Church in that particular era. You might think me weird but the best alien hoaxes are actually done by aliens. People actually have to be authorized to perform alterations to these significant landmarks.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I recently stumbled across this same image; the general suspicion (as also voiced here) was that it was added by renovators. I'm inclined to agree; there is no reason why the image should have existed as long as the building itself.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If you look closely at the astronaut knee the leaf is missing too...maybe the pictures are different years or something.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Reading without posting again.

Its already been stated as a fact by the tour guide that the renovators added it and an ice cream cone to the facade.

Case closed.

Almost.
If you look closely at the pictures again, you can also see the eye of horus, an owl, a ufo, a snake, and a pentagram, as well as obvious allusions to water and life on mars.

Seriously look again, look deeper.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, I do not have photoshop, and I can't see the face close up. Can someone zoom it and maybe post the close up? I mean its obvious, It was put there by the restoration team, it would have been reported on long before this. I would think though like the above poster stated that the church would have to authorize a ice cream cone ,or a nasa astronaut to appear on there cathedral. It is a place of God, and not a graffiti pallete . Why go to all that trouble creating a sculpture then creating a place for him to sit on the leaf, blend that into the original sculpture, or actually tear out a design piece of the original art?Where is the logic of this? . The worker as well knowing that they could be removed, and could lose there job possibly. I as a hired artist would not risk my reputation, or waste my time on destroying original artwork by creating this figure. I would want to finish the job as fast as possible, and move to the next money maker. I do sculpt as well, I would say as an artist, this piece design, and implementation would take at least 40 hours IMO.
Only thing I can think of that makes sense is that the Church admin wanted it there to draw attention.

I want to also add while I am here, just because someone posts a comment saying it is false is not to be counted on as proof. We do not know the mind, or motivations of any poster on any website.
DWT

[edit on 6-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

I have to agree with your last post. If this is a modern addition (and logic says it must be), I can't believe the 'churchy goodfella-types' would give consent for the additions ... and if they did WHY ? What were their motives.

It's no secret that I am not a Christian ... but I do know a fair bit about Christian religion. Certainly enough to know that Spain is a very religious country and churchgoers would surely be offended if these were in fact modern additions by some renovator with a sense of the 'Fortean'.

Just doesn't make sense to me !!!

Do you know if any testing has been carried-out by anyone e.g; to see if the weird bits show definate signs of renovation work on what would be older original artifacts ?

Is there any old archive documentation about the cathedral, that mentions these sculptures ... to help determine their age ? (when were they first mentioned anywhere) ?

Even if it is fake it would be good to find-out how they got permission and from whom ... ok I'm beginning to waffle like an idiot now for no apparent reason ... sorry I'll just shut-up and fade into the background

A curious & confused Woody.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It is a modern addition as stated earlier. The Church well believes in Gods glory and the achievements of mankind. Adding an astronaut is not at all blasphemous, nor is adding an ice cream cone. Not all Church leaders are cold curmudgeons lacking in a sense of wonder and delight. Humor is a good human attribute.

There is no mystery here. Anyone can visit the site and see for themselves. It is not hidden in a coverup, but placed well within reach. The Church fathers will happily tell you all about the many wonders of their church and will even show you where the Astronaut is located.

If you wish to see further evidence of the use of humor in church carvings, perhaps you should look to "Dedo" on the Cathedral of Notre Dame.

[edit on 6/1/08 by Terapin]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
As I observed, the curving compared to the above curvings has some significant differences: the colour differs, as well as the damages due to time passed by the above curvings. Therefore, my opinion is that the astronaut curving is made recently.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Indeed.
The "astronaut" is an addition from 1993 - along with a monkey-demon eating ice cream and other "anachronisms". Apparently, they were added around 1993, when the door was restored to welcome the exhibition “Las Edades del Hombre. El contrapunto y su mirada”.

I am not at all surprised by the tolerance of the Church officials in this regard. But I must say I am appalled that the art history experts on the project allowed it - and I have a good sense of humour, thank you very much.

Then again, seeing the purely mechanic working of the restored wine leaves (the presence of machinery is painfully obvious), I wonder why I should be surprised at all...

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
IS NEW PEACE OF MARBLE CARVED CONTEMPORANEMENTE .....
PRIEST JOB PROBABLY FOR TOYRISMO

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join