It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Space Shuttle Atlantis Cancel Because of the Scrutiny Generated on ATS?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Just occured to me that "single stage to orbit" is not the same as "reusable". I supposed you can have one stage in a rocket and still launch it (aren't most modern ICBMs this way?).

Von Braun's 1950s vision of near Earth space was one that included what amount to ICBMs going to space stations, emptying in the process, then being refuelled and sent on their way to the Moon or Mars for eventual breakdown as scrap, with space taxis taking people back down to the Earth. Soon after that he came up with what amounts to a space shuttle / space taxi and that cool looking nonaerodynamic Mars Mission main spacecraft - the nuclear one which is spheres stuck together.

ICBMs as quick and dirty spaceships is a great idea for cargo. I think that's what the semi commercial / semi military Athena series is for.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
I obviously have never flown the Shuttle (except a really cool 'sim' at the KSC Visitor's Center...it handled a little bit like a DC-10...) that tries to recreate the last five minutes or so, follow the HUD in the turn to Final and down the GlideSlope. Fun stuff, that!

Wow! That's cool! Were you on auto P whilst maneuvering into the landing funnel for your finals? Or were you on manual mode? If the latter, who ran the check lists for you??

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Dear mikesingh,

Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic there, mate...

If you had been a tourist at the KSC in Florida in the mid 1990s you would have seen a bank of four or five 'simulators' to land the Shuttle. Pretty basic, a joystick, and a CRT. NO! No autopilot, no checklist...you push a button, it lets you loose from a left base, as I recall, and with VERY basic HUD references you just steer the thing to touchdown. OK, maybe it was originally designed for kids, or for adults who act like kids, but I found it surprisingly responsive for such a simple program, and quite easy to manage for someone who had a bit of flying experience under his belt. The 20+ G/S angle was interesting (guessing, in hind sight, they took care of the vertical for you...maybe it only let you work the ailerons)...but I felt as if I had elevator control as well, following the HUD on the screen.

*edit to add*

A gift for you, mike...another quote from Sir Arthur C. Clarke (sic):

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

[edit on 19-1-2008 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Heck no! Not sarcastic in the least! I just found it interesting and envious at the same time! I would have loved to get into a shuttle sim and experience the landing! I thought you had the oportunity of getting into the ones that the astronauts use for training.

There's a Shuttle I've tried in the MS flight sim X and that's pretty interesting too! Never got to land that darn thing correctly!
But I'm gonna keep trying until I get it straight!!

And thanks for AC Clarke's take, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." But that's what some people don't realize. For them anything out-of-the-box and beyond mainstream scientific paradigms is impossible and plain science fiction!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Like so much Clarke stuff though that nearly worn out quote is great from a distance and less and less sensible the closer you get.

Sufficiently advanced technology might seem like magic but it doesn't remain that way for thinking humans. No matter the gap between the two cultures the less technological culture always finds a rational system in which to place the "alien" technology they encounter. Sometimes the less tech people get every single detail wrong and even the underlying basic natural philosophy wrong, but they still quickly place it within a cosmological and rational system. Even scientism is preferable to decadent credulity. And from scientism many cultures drift or evolve to scientific thought and then to duplication of the technology.

Anyway, not wanting to rant, I will leave it at that.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Or did the space shuttle Atlantis cancel because of near Earth asteroid TU24 due to pass close to Earth on 29 January 2008?

For more info go to neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news157,html

or

www.TU24.org

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by johnlear

the blue swallow chases a silver hummingbird. Green finch is held down and all the while gold eagle watches.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tep200377
Whould you please tell us how you know this?

Simple the emails....

Nah never mind went through all this before...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
That's a pretty cryptic remark by FBE, I am in the dark on that one. Z, I have sent for help, this is my last post until he is zeroed in on me.

Yeah...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I had to giggle when I read even just the .line on this one. Thanks for the smile. And, while I'm not too familiar with Mr. Lear, his work or his claims, I gotta say I kinda feel sorry for the guy. To live such an ATS-centric life so as to believe that because he started a buzz here on this topic that it would affect NASA or any top secret government plans. That's just kinda sad don't you think? And if there were secret plans to hook up with the space station or anything else ... wouldn't they just send one of their top-secret ships that use the UFO tech. or something?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookshowJon To live such an ATS-centric life so as to believe that because he started a buzz here on this topic that it would affect NASA or any top secret government plans.

Well that 'believe' was founded on reality based on emails and other events that were documented here in other threads... Yes NASA is most definitely watching us

And if there were secret plans to hook up with the space station or anything else ... wouldn't they just send one of their top-secret ships that use the UFO tech. or something?

So I suppose all those secret DoD Missions the shuttle flew even BEFORE the ISS was there are all fiction to? You know the ones where the return weight was and still is CLASSIFIED?

So just what DID they bring back? And from WHERE?

And seeing as everyone missed the fact that the AF had to scramble to get their secret NRO satellite launched after the postponement... just exactly what WAS the rush to get it up there so fast? Surely another month or so would not have been critical?

Glad we could amuse you... just keep on sniffing that laughing gas they feed you

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
I have absolutely no doubt that our government has at least an experimental craft that can achieve LEO using a single stage method.

Now cut that out... you know the rules... no teasing the Lemmings without a few reams of proof and several photos

But feel free to drop by skunk works anytime for a cup of coffee and we can swap 'stories'

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Zorgon ... if that is your real name
... didn't mean to offend. I just find it laughable the things the government can be accused of ... then hear that a few thousand (at best for this particular forum/topic) ATS posters can miraculously throw off the governments big secret agenda ... based on some emails and such?

Look my friend, I believe a lot of things I read ... especially on here where facts are actually proven ... but this one ... to me ... it's just absurd. Mr. Lear may be "famous" here on this site and a few more like it ... a couple million people around the world might know his name ... but even if he had access to every secret the government had to give up ... he wouldn't be able to affect anyone of them in any way ... as much as I myself might wish it otherwise. We just are not that important. Maybe someday we will, but proclaiming things like this are just self defeating to the entire cause of truth. IMHO this honestly sounds as far out as I have seen on ATS ... and we all now how far out that is.

As a believer in many things ... an ATS reader many years ... later, a member ... and someone unfamiliar with Mr. Lear, I plan to learn a little more in the near future. Until then, this believer just doen't believe it. The hype is self made and that's not a good thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpookshowJon
Zorgon ... if that is your real name

Well... it is in some circles

didn't mean to offend.

None taken

ATS posters can miraculously throw off the governments big secret agenda ... based on some emails and such?

Perhaps just a slight change in plans based on 'public opinion'

but proclaiming things like this are just self defeating to the entire cause of truth.

Well perhaps you could point me to some true soldiers in this cause of truth, because quite frankly I do not see any... I myself am on a quest for answers... pretty much have discovered that absolute truth doesn't exist and is merely relative to our frame of reference...

Perhaps "The Secret" is right and we influence the matrix more than we thik

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hey... Tell john we need him dammit. This is stupid. He doesn't have to be a CM but he needs to at least check in on us once every coupla weeks. Hell... we may turn into planet of the apes without 'im. *glares at dog.

Coven

(yes i know... I know, off topic... but dammit I just found out about John leaving.)

BOOOO

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven
Hey... Tell john we need him dammit. This is stupid.

Yeah especially now that NOVA is "singing our song" on "Secret Astronauts"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And you can tell John yourself... his email is here
www.thelivingmoon.com...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
space shuttles and all of the modern space travel equipment that the public knows about is a joke.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There are many things that go amiss when you HIGHLIGHT what they are doing, then it isolates worldwide attention on what dark missions are going down without mankinds knowing.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by allMIGHTY

But everytime there is a shuttle disaster, NAZA will just launch from secret locations every week to make up for lost time. See we think when NAZA says it is suspending launches that it will include secret NAZA launches also. No. Secret launches will increase while we are watching the NBA playoffs and Tiger Woods win another PGA title or Britney Spears run out the house naked. LOL!

Don't ge gullible McFly!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Zorgon! what is the latest on this? give us the skinny will ya? You're still in touch with John, he won't answer my emails!!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join