It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warner Bros going Blu-Ray exclusive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
www.rlslog.net...

Looks like HD format war is finally over, Warner Bros will back only Blu-ray. Sad news for all HD DVD supporters, it is time to throw away your HD DVD

Time Warner’s Warner Bros. studio Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp’s Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp’s rival HD DVD technology. Warner Bros, Hollywood’s biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20% of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

not that it wasn't obvious already.... just glad it's finally over. now lets end another war

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Paramount/DreamWorks’ is HD DVD exclusive. As is Universal.

No war has been won... unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
yes, but Warner has the biggest market share, by far. They've been #1 since 2006. Pair that with Sony's PS3, and it's a win.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Woo Hoo! I knew Sony was going to win. I feel sorry for the suckers who bought HD-DVD's.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well i guess I will not be buying any HD movies now seeing as I simply refuse to buy anything Sony.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Paramount/DreamWorks’ is HD DVD exclusive. As is Universal.

No war has been won... unfortunately.

Last time I said that Warner going with Blu-Ray was the end of the format war. This is just a confirmation!

www.rlslog.net...

Paramount studios is poised to drop its support of the high-definition DVD (HD DVD) format after Warner Bros studio said it would back the competing Blu-ray format, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.The loss of support from Paramount, which is owned by Viacom Inc, would likely deal the final blow to the HD DVD format backed by Toshiba Corp and put an end to the format war, the newspaper said on its Web site.

So there hehe

[edit on 8-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So we now have 6 Blu Ray, 1 HD DVD studios. So looks like HD DVD lost. Could it be costing more, fewer selections, worse exclusives? I'm sure Sony did something evil like sell more Blu Ray movies for cheaper and having more movies and better exclusives...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HHH Is King
I'm sure Sony did something evil like sell more Blu Ray movies for cheaper and having more movies and better exclusives...

and offering twice the storage, and three times the speed... those maniacs!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
and, more confirmation...

business.timesonline.co.uk...

As many as 20 companies currently part of the HD-DVD Promotion Group could be preparing to remove their names from the alliance’s 130-strong membership list, The Times has learned.

Paramount yesterday emerged as the latest major Hollywood studio poised to switch allegiances.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
aaaannndd universal follows suit:

www.engadget.com...

both Universal and Paramount are in the process of going blu. But don't bother asking 'em, because the same contracts that prevent them from switching now, prevent them from confirming the rumor. In addition, Bills sources tell him that while Paramount could make an announcement any day now, Universal's won't come until February -- at the earliest -- because "their contract period with the HD-DVD camp expires at the end of January."

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
So anyone with a HD DVD player has flused their money down the toilet? Nice.

ANyways, watched Simpsons on my PS3(Blu RAY) and loved it. Been watching the show for years.

Went out to rent a movie yesterday. And again about 20 selections for HD, and I counted more then 60 for Blu Ray. Sure about 12 of the HD were also on Blu Ray, but still that is 1-3 ratio. Even worse when you take out the 12 that are also on Blu Ray.

So how did HD DVD plan to win? Releasing fewer movies that cost more that have less space doesn't sound like a good way to win. Sure its how Ferrari works. Sell less cars for more money with less space then say, a Chevy 1500 but they win out by offering things the 1500 doesn't have.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

amen. I think it came down to the "virtual legroom"

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
fantastic

I've already seen dirt cheap HD DVD players at Walmart.

SR

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Damn this could really potentially be a bad thing for consumers i might go pick up one of these dirt cheap HD players to try and ride the storm out cause if Blu-Ray becomes a monopoly through all these companies the price of players will still be artificially inflated very high but no one will have a choice but to pay the price for it in the long run if it wins.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
HD-DVD tries to fight back!

www.engadget.com...

Toshiba has announced it is not laying down yet. Effective yesterday, the HD-A3 MSRP has dropped to $149.99, the 1080p-capable HD-A30 to $199.99, and the top of the line HD-A35 to $299.99. Combined with an extended "perfect offer" of 5 free HD DVDs with every purchase, Toshiba's HD DVD Concierge service, and a sudden 50% off sale on Amazon, it seems this format will not go quietly into the dark. Fire sale to clear suddenly obsolete inventory or real chance to hang onto its remaining supporters? This could be the best -- or worst -- time to pick a side in the HD war.

update:

looks like Blu-Ray is trying to beat them to the punch, sweet. This is only good news for consumers (not me, as i won't be buying either format, ha. I learned my lesson with DVDs).

www.maxconsole.net...

Amazon has cut the price of over 200 Blu-ray disc titles, with some as low $14.99. Titles reduced include Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Ratatouille, and Superbad. It seems as though Amazon are hoping consumers will build on their Blu-ray library after news of Warners decision to exclusively back Blu-ray.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
another update...

Blu-Ray now has 70% market share. Stick a fork in this one, it's done!

Blu-ray players grab 93 percent of market after Warner went Blu

www.engadget.com...

According to the latest NPD group report, during the month of December Blu-ray players held 60 percent of the HD media player market -- despite the fact that HD DVD players were considerably cheaper. While that might've helped Warner in its decision to go Blu, the move has definitely had a dramatic effect on player sales since. According to the same study the week after the announcement, Blu-ray players were able to grab 93 percent of the market, which puts the year to date (short, we know) share for Blu-ray players at 70 percent.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Good news Scientist. Let's throw a Blu- ray party!

new topics

top topics

join