It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I'm a fatty!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
craig732, good answer.
I'm a fat boy and I want to loose weight. I can and have done it in the past and I'm pretty sure I'd survive without much food even though I like to eat, but I can go without it, I just choose not to lol.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Food, like anything else, can be an addiction.

The vast majority of people who are overweight are so because they eat too much and lack self discipline when it comes to food. That is not to say they lack discipline in all other areas of life - just in terms of food consumption.

There are of course the rare few who have medical conditions - but they are the exception rather than the norm.

Overweight and obese people a 50-100% increased risk of death from a variety of different diseases including heart disease, stroke, osteoarthritis, and gallbladder disease. It can even increase your risk towards certain types of cancers such as endometrial, colorectal, gallbladder, renal cell, and breast cancer (Statistics Related To Overweight And Obesity�, NIDDK, Weight control information network, December 10, 2002)

Research also indicates the risks of being overweight are considerably worse than those of smoking, drinking, or living in poverty( The Health Risks of Obesity, RAND, A nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decision making through research and analysis, December 10, 2002 ).

I believe the superior fitness levels (and in turn increased ability to hunt animals and decreased likelihood of being killed by others) are far more beneficial than being able to survive for a period without food. The fat layer in the body acts as an insulating layer and causes irritability in hot weather - hardly ideal for being out in the wild with potential predators around. Further disadvantages in a survivalist environment due to being overweight include decreased energy levels as well as links to depression and poorer mental health - no one can deny that when a person loses weight they "feel" better psychologically, not just physically - and you would need to be alert and mindful if in survivalist mode.

The quetion raised is to me, a no brainer.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I don't think obese people will stand a chance in any real apocalyptic survival situation. Can you walk 20 miles with a backpack full of stuff? Even moreso... can you even run 1 mile without stopping?

Most (not all) morbidly obese people will not have the will or determination to even try. I know a few obese people who I think could make it, but I also know plenty who are lazy as ****.

I know because personally I would not do much better. I'm only 5'6" and 185 lbs, which basically equates to having a belly and the rest of my body is relatively toned, and I am still bordering on the edge of overweight/obesity. I can't run 2 miles nonstop, I tried. I know that I have to get in better shape if I expect to survive. If that is what someone who is a bit overweight but generally in good health faces, how do you think someone who jiggles when they walk and have a good 3 inches of fat on all parts of their body are going to survive? You're basically stuck with one type of survival.... sitting duck. Heavily arm yourself and sit in your house with a crapload of canned food, hoping you can ride the storm out.

It's not just the "fatties" that need to worry, anyone over 40 that hasn't done any type of cardiovascular exercise in the past 10-20 years since they settled down is in exactly the same boat.

Everyone in North America needs to get off their asses. It's easy to say, but very hard for most people to do. Even if it isn't for some doom scenario that won't likely ever happen, do it for yourself so you don't end up with high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

Here's a quick way to tell... if you can hear yourself breathing right now while you are just sitting at rest, you are way too overweight and out of shape.

Stop trying to justify why it's okay for you to be fat. It's not. You are in denial. Do something about it.

[edit on 1/5/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Survival is the ability to run. Run from enemies, run to food, run and hide, etc etc.

I wear about 48 lbs more then what is recomended and do have some pudge. I can also run a 10k without stopping for rest and can maintain a sprint for about 100 yards and then return to a running speed. I practice running in the woods and over adverse terrain.

I am happy for that weight that i carry. I hope to lose some of it for vanities sake but in a survival situation having those excess energy reserves and the health to usefully use them would be an advantage. of course, I think Sit. X survival will be about 70% luck, 15% health, and 15% preparedness. As long as you stay as close to 100% in preparedness and health you stand a chance.

The morbidly obese are right out. The high metabolizing skinnies are right out. The obese will not have the enregy to survive and the high metabolizers will not have enough food readily avialble to maintain their high energy needs, they will weaken and perish.

It all comes down to how far you can run. If I ran 3-4 times a week my extra weight would be gone, I am lazy, so maybe only running 3 times a month and keeping that 40 lbs will pay off.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I would say that having a little extra would help you survive longer if there was no food. Depending on how fat you are, it may impact your ability to run long distances.

If you have very low body fat, and you run out of food, your body will start using your muscle to fuel it. You will become weak very fast. If you are a giant fatty you could live for months on the fat you have on you.

In combat if you get shot in the gut, (from the side) and it only hits fat you will likely survive. But if you were skinny, you might not have gotten shot at all.

I'm 5'9" and weigh 190lbs. I can run a mile in 7min 50sec. I can run 2 miles, but I'm going to be on the verge of puking at that point in time. I have a slight beer gut. Too much ATS!

I would say that you would be better off if you were not obese, but being too skinny is a problem too.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Its not about the input, its all about the output.

If you bring energy in you need to burn it or you will store this excess of energy

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
A person's body type is not going to really affect them in a survival situation if they are intelligent, hard-working, and prepared for such an event.

I am 'very' underweight, yet I still am able to lift heavy objects and travel long distances with very little food and water.

In that sense, my body is very efficient. I can run off of 10K calories, or 1K. I do not need a lot of food to survive, however, I have quite an appetite. If I was running off 1K calories a day I'd be starving nonetheless.

If you were 'fat' and all hell broke lose, I would think you'd have less a chance of survival. Chances are you are slower than I am due to your size, and more than likely less in shape. Does that mean you are 'bad' or any bullcrap like that? No, certainly not.

The excess fat reserves will not help you when you need to be moving very quickly. The excess fat reserves will not help you when the weather turns to 110 degrees.

I do not see any benefits from being over or underweight. The average person will have the best chances of survival.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What I'm seeing is alot of people making assumption as to what the future "survival situation" is going to be.

One guy says run from enemies, run to food, and that assumes there will be enemies and food.

That's only one of thousands of posabilities for a survival situation.

You could be out in a seculed place and fall down a deep hole and have to "survive" until someone notes your gone and finds you.

Or you could fall down the same hole, be ready to climb out and survive a nuclear explosion by the grace of God, then you'd have to survive that.

You never know, you only assume, and I've noted too many assume something like a "NWO" take over or crap like that as being the definement of the survival situation. This is really quite limiting as you might find yourself ready to face one situation and find yourself knee deep in another.

My point! is that the bodies natural "survival" tactic is to put weigth on when there is food so that when there isn't food you'll have something to live on.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

This is what I was thinking as well. From what I can imagine, one's body type isn't going to be the primary attribute to one's survival in most situations. Being fat or being able to run far/fast would only matter in rather specific scenarios.

I'm a big guy myself, so if the Earth goes through a climate change and most of the US is suddenly covered in snow, this extra layer of insulation and energy reserves will be a blessing. On the other hand, if I'm needing to run from a pack of mutant genetic experiments gone wrong...well that's gonna suck.

So really in the end I would say other factors will end up mattering more; Knowledge, experience, luck, etc. But if I had to give an opinion on body type, I would say being physicaly fit would be the most universal aid to one's survival.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hmm interesting to think that most people here believe that being over weight means they can survive on less for longer. (which to a certain extent they can)

Overweight people still need food however, as it takes fuel to burn the fat they carry. its not like a bank where you can save up for a rainy day then magically feed yourself without doing f-all.

And when (not if) those overweight people need to get that fuel they require to burn their excess fuel stores, they will be proportionately disadvantaged as opposed to a fit person who doesn't have to carry around the excess weight.

take a look at any native tribe who still hunt and gather, take a look at any military survival expert - they certainly don't have a mcdonalds gut to carry around when they work.

fit people also have the benefit of more mental fortitude than fat people. as it takes that little bit more of the good stuff to put yourself through the ringer and push yourself that little further. tis a wee bit harder to push yourself to do a run than it is to sit on the couch and watch oprah.

people with all the gear and no idea.

you should be able to survive without the luxury items. and i seriously recommend being in good shape to do so.

mistakenly using survivalism as an excuse to be overweight and unhealthy is no excuse at all.

If your interested in this stuff you should take an interest in your wellbeing - you could have all the gear in the world but if your body isn't ready to rock and roll your not going to get very far.

but hopefully the capitalists will use 'the **** hitting the fan' to their advantage and we may still have a mcdonalds or burger king to go to in the middle of it all.

dont mean to offend anyone but seriously health should come waaaay before bug out bags and alternative fuels etc on your list of things to get before the shtf

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
There have been a significant amount of compelling studies out there ( US and international) lately debunking the BMI as the end all be all of health determination and fitness.

It has been out there for awhile that if you have a big beer belly that you are pretty unfit as the abdominal fat pad creates some pretty sever glucose intolerance . Yes, this is a study with mice but it explains what is going on in the adipose tissues.

And it has recently been coming up that waist to hip ratio is a better standard than BMI for predicting Cardiovascular disease.

As well, there are some well done studies that demonstrate that fasting one day a week can help prevent cancer and increase the life span.

So while it may be hopeful that those with large guts and large guns can stand on their porches and shoot 'em up in the zombie invasion, and I would like to think that you guys could protect me with your bulk and he man smarts when the Reptile Dudes come to get me, however, I have to say that being lean, mean, and free from diabetes and coronary heart disease will probably be a lot handier as we figure out how to live on deer jerky and sauerkraut that I made from my own cabbages that I grew in the garden.

P.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Being overweight, or athletic has nothing to do with whom is a better survivalist.
I have personally learned from someone with endless knowledge, that was to my guess, 50lbs overweight.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I think you are in a world of trouble if you believe that because you are fat that you will live longer. Fat is the body'd way of storing excess calories. It is not a food bank that you can check out a lb of fat when you want.
Go w/o food for several days and your body tends to slow down...it begins to metabolise muscle along with fat so you are losing both...now you are a semi-fatboy will even less muscle mass. It isn't going to help you.

That arguement is...well I dont really know how to classify it. I am a little out of shape myself right now. At 5'11 and 185lbs...I could stand to drop about 10lbs(pumpkin pie and Christmas cakes oh my). I can still run 2 miles in less than 13 min and I am 37 y/o old. I urge you to maybe spend a little less time hitting keys and spend some time hitting the pavement. Outside of work, I dont get to surf to much. So limit that surfing time and invest some of your time into yourself. You will appreciate much more in 20 yrs than you will the 100 different posts you made on whether or no George Jr is a reptile in disguise

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

it depends on which kind of 'fat' one has...

there's the kind of 'fat' that Summo wrestlers develop

then there's the grossly obese 'fat' that clogs arteries and does
all that damage to one's body, mostly accumulated from a sedentary lifestyle... but pituitary, adrenal and other glands also contribute to some peoples physique.

which 'fatty' are you ??

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think if it's a survivalist/wwIII type scenario it wont matter if you're fat or thin, it'll all depend if the man with the gun visits your street/cave/whatever.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
Annoying these are the people who just don't eat a lot because their brain doesn't work correctly for some reason.

Now survival, in any survival situation you can throw out the annoying and obese classes because they will most likely die of disease or exposure if they don't change their ways quickly. If they do "shape-up" then there is a chance that they can either bulk-up or drop a few pounds before the situation is too dire.

I fall into the 'Annoying' category (why d'you label us 'annoying' anyway?) but only due to a genetic trait...my body's metabolism may run faster than usual...but then again so do my thought-processes to compensate...

I may not be able to outfight others for food resources due to my 'greyhound' build, but I'll certainly outwit others to make up for it

[edit on 7-1-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If the need arises to run, to move quicky, some fat people are screwed, some skinny people are screwed. I have seen plenty of skinny people that have absolutely no sense of themselves and wouldnt be able to out manuever a turtle. Survival is more about your brain then it is your body, if you take your disadvantages, and find a way to do something that eliminates them, find a way to turn them around to advantages then you should be fine. If you are fat and slow physically as well as slow mentally, you arent going to make it, same goes for skinny and fast but mentally on the same level as a ground squirrel. I am a big feller, 6'4 and around 250, I can move as fast as I need. I have run a good mile with around 80lbs on my back in the morning hours out in marshes battling for a good spot to hunt ducks. I am bigger then I should be, but it doesnt dictate my living or dying in a survival situation. Being resourceful, and willing to not give into the discomfort, muscles burning, feet aching, cold, tired, hungry, is what will keep you alive, not your waist size. If you arent resourceful, and cant get out in the woods and walk in the cold, the heat or anyother situation ma nature throws at you without feeling like you are going to give up, you wont make it in a SHTF situation.

You go ahead and hunt the fat kids,you come after this fat kid I will be having skinny punk for dinner one night. Um skinny stringy punk, nah I think I would have to hunt fat people also, more tender meat, probably some good marbling.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
MMmmmmmm computer programmer..... good marbling....

A lot of survival is keeping your wits about you. But....

Any survival situation where being able to run a distance and maintain speed or be able to walk long distances to change location are not really in the same category of survivalism. A lot of examples fall more in line of preparedness. When most folks speak of survival it usually does entail some cataclysmic event. Though more likely then not it will be you stuck in the snow with your car or out of gas somewhere. That again will fall in line with preparedness.

I'll give you falling down in a well and being lost for days though. Better have some fat on there.

Nuclear holocaust is going to be survival of the lucky (or not, depending on fall out)

Almost all survival situations excluding being lost in a life raft, stranded in the wilderness, or nuclear holocuast, are going to be matters of health and quick thinking.

Stranded on a life raft waiting for rescue? that weight is gonna help. Not a whole lot of thought needed other then conserve water and energy.

Lost in the wilderness waiting for rescue? that weight is gonna help but again..

Lost in the wilderness and being chased by pygmies because they want to eat the fat guy? You better be able to run your ass off

Lost in the woods having to trap, catch, stalk, chase your own food? Better be ready to walk long distances to check your snares, run after wounded game, or run from dangerous game.

Civilization has collapsed and you are running from Zombies, Vampires, Radio-active boogeymen? Better run run run!

NWO take over and your getting chased by Storm Troopers? Better move those feet.

Civil unrest on a massive scale? You better be able to run or have someplace nice to hunker.

So some situations it may help alittle to be fat, I think the best answer is to be in good shape, have a healthy + bodyweight with some extra insurance, and be able to run your ass off. Being prepared mentally and not being healthy enough to execute and you are screwed. Being prepared physically but being as dumb as a stick, screwed again!

"War is running. When a man no longer wants to run or can run no longer, he must prepare himself for death"

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Tinhatman]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Nice thread. I fall in an odd category. I was up until last year in very good shape. 6'2" 255 9% body fat. Could run pretty much all day without any problems, and could carry a 70lb pack all day while hiking or hunting. In Feb '07 I sustained an injury at work that has left me disabled for intents and purposes. Now I'm 6'2" 280lbs with alot more body fat. I still lift weights and ride a stationary bike, but can't hike or do the things I love to do. My right ankle was crushed and now I can't walk without the help of a cane and alot of pain. That being said, I still like my chances in a survival situation because I still have the will to live. I don't care if you can do 1000 pushups and run 2 miles in 10 minutes, if you don't have the right frame of mind, you're cooked. I am a former Ranger and I learned that very early in RIP. So it'll be harder now to make it, but that's my only choice, to make it.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
To the OP:

The "fellow" is right in a sense, body fat and fitness is used as an index for self-discipline.

Should I believe a personal trainer to get me in shape, when that same teacher does not have the aerobic capacity or mental toughness to run 3 miles?

"The true survivalist", will force it upon oneself to be physically and mental fit.
Reducing the odds into his favor.

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Victor Snowfall]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join