It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuggets: Albums you loved but forgot about

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This Christmas turned out to be a goldmine of gift certificates, gift cards, etc., mostly from places that sell DVD's and CD's.

While browsing the local shop the other day, I rediscovered some stuff I'd forgotten about but really loved years ago.

Cream--Best of

"Sunshine of Your Love", "Crossroads", "Badge", "Tales of Brave Ulysses"...how did I forget all about this band for so many years?

The Breeders--"Last Splash"

Okay, if you're not into alternative rock you won't like it. It's Kim Deal from the Pixies with her twin sister and two new bandmates. It alternates between Nirvana-style metalloid destruction and mellower folksy tunes. "Summer is ready when you are."

The Fixx--"Ultimate Collection"

Some people despise The Fixx. Yeah, they're a singles band. Albums are full of filler. Still, apocalyptic songs like "Red Skies" and "Stand or Fall" are maybe the best "are we gonna survive the Cold War" tunes out there.
Not even U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "New Year's Day" have the tension of "Red Skies" and "Stand or Fall." Speaking of U2. I read the lyric sheet to one of their "Best of" sets the other day. Jeez. These guys really are pretentious, aren't they?

The Who--"Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy"

An early "Best of" from the Sixties. From songs like "My Generation" to "Pinball Wizard", and some obscure classics, it's arguably the best Who album other than "Who's Next." Sadly, it's out of print in the States. My CD is an import.

I'm still working on finding a Moody Blues CD with all the best Sixties tunes.

Runners up were: Nirvana "Nirvana" (best of), Soundgarden ("Superunknown"), and Lenny Kravitz (Greatest Hits). My gift cards were maxed before I could get these.

join