It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush says markets 'strong and solid'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
LOL! Bush was absurdly rich before he even came into office. Furthermore, his IRS tax records are public information and every year the media reports on how much he makes.

People do not become President to get rich - never have, and never will. Regardless of what some people want to think.

People run for President because of the sheer power that comes with it. That sort of power is a new adrenaline rush for those who already have all the money in the world. Most Presidents could make MUCH more money if they weren't in politics.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So take bill clinton who asks for something like $100,000 to do a speech nowadays. WHat world do we live in where you get $100,000 for a speech.

Of course presidents do not want money, hello. lol

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Just watch for the other shoe to drop. Another 'major' "terrorist" act that will make 911 look like a stroll in the park. Bush keeps his wartime presidency beyond his term limits. You heard it here, perhaps not first, but I can surely see it. Hillary: puke. Obama, can't figure what to make of him and I hate the Baptist pulpet campaign thing, but they are all doing it. I think I'm on channel 57 when I see these cats prostulate. Kucinich, err um, longshot at best (though I believe he's a good guy). Romney, no data. Huckleberry, I don't think so. Just my two cow cookies and I'm a nothin'. So don't kill me please. Ramblings from a madman.
Suuuuure, no president ever had personal luncheons with saudi elite and allowed them safe transit under FAA lockdown when the FBI really really would of liked to have 'a little chat.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Well you can say anything you want to, but if you don't have proof, then why would/should anyone take you seriously? Also that whole slander/libel thing comes into play when you start saying things about people without proof. I'm not sure I'd want to use your excuse in front of a judge.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Yes, they can and do make more money out of politics. They just have to lay low for four or eight years, then take all those board positions and stock options they've 'earned' during the presidency. A four year stint as the Prez will guarantee you speaker fees of 6 figures for an hour of your time, for the rest of your life.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
In this world, people can just make stuff up, and people are put on death row. Its a tabloid newspapers world, where do you wreckon the facts are that send so many to there deaths. No where other than in someones imagination.

You do not have to do anything wrong, in todays world to have your life destroyed like always in human history, lies are more than truths.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Wrong again. Presidents give speeches for big money because they are obviously like the attention, and it would cheapen them if they weren't expensive. You need a reality check if you think Presidents come into office seeking money over power. Again, Bush was absurdly rich before he ever entered into politics.

The people who are Presidents will never have to worry about money, they could care less about what they get for a speech - as long as its a big enough number to let everyone know they are important.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I believe the topic is about the financial markets and comments by President Bush, not about how much money he earns.

Stay on topic.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

I never said he came into office to make money, but like everyone he will do it, because the more he has the more power he has. I meant hewill use his office to create more wealth, like all these people do. They tried to tarnish putins image recently saying he came to office to steal 40 billion or something. So what if he did, thats probably just normal practice.

Sorry moderator, this he said that and the other siad that argument, will get us nowhere, we will just have to argree to disagree.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Comments like that are kiss of death.

We know it's not good when politician's tell us the "fundamentals are strong"

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

But has he not been saying that for quite a while now. I remember on foxnews, a few months back they would laugh at people saying the economy is not that great, but then they had to change there minds.

But like what we all have said, what else would he say.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Don't put too much stock in the words used by Bush. It's probably the only word he could remember after his financial advisers spent all morning coaching him. The crayons and the animal cutouts are a good teaching aid, but way too distracting for George. Most of the time I think he just eats the paste.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I don't know, I feel like he should have just said nothing rather than make a statement that is so blatantly false.
It is a sad day and our economy is so broken that this man chose to make himself look foolish rather than just ignore it as has been the standard response.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Exactly. It is one thing to keep everyone calm, it is something else to blatantly lie to the people. Why doesn't he present the real numbers and say, yes there is cause for concern, but here is how we are addressing it and here is how we are going to come out stronger?

Instead, it is complete disregard for reality which is far more dangerous in my mind. There is no change of policy to get us out of this upcoming disaster, because hey... we are strong and stable. If it aint broke, don't fix it. It is ridiculous and it just feels like he is just going to band-aid this whole country until the end of his term hoping that all of the blame for cleaning up his mess will fall on the failed policies of his successor.

It is poor leadership.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Pink did a very touching video called Dear Mr. President. I hope you will watch it.

Sorry, I don't know how to find the number of the video to use the built in feature so please click the link.

youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Mythatsabigprobe.....it took me a full two minutes to stop laughing. Couldn't have said it better myself on a good day. Thanks for making my gray, drewy, dismal day.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

It's only funny because you know it's true..

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Seeing as the market is strong and solid, perhaps you've got $19.95 to shell out on the all new and improved Bu# meter.

As seen on all major internet connections near you, now available, limited time only free gift, buy one get nothing free, hand crafted and painted, full lifetime gurantee or your money back (guarantee you'll laugh, not other reasons will afford a refund, cost of return for refund exceeds value of item)

order your copy here today...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thats a good joke. Somehow he's either misinformed, or he's just oblivious to it, or could careless. They are not "strong", but they are not weak either. I think he met with the Fed chairman today and the Tresurer, and if they're saying its strong, they're in denial.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I heard that CNBC didn't have Bush's comments live today only on tape. On another forum i frequent, they say that everytime he opens his mouth about the economy during market hours the markets tank.

The Prez and Sec of Treas only say two things.

1.) The economy and markets are sound. (Judge for yourself)

2.) A strong dollar is in our best interest. (And then implement policy that has the opposite effect).

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join