It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a good starting exercise program ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
my gal and I are wanting to start an exercise program, but I really don't have any idea where to start.

I have access to a pretty nice fitness center at work, has your basic, weigth machines, treadmills, climbing machines, etc....

I know that I want to start slow and gradually build my routine.

I'm not in it for body building, but would like to get rid of the tummy and "luv handles" that I have.

I'm 6ft, 190 lbs, so I don't think that I'm "overweight". I just want to tone up.

so what do you guys recommend ?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
To build up/lose weight the stair master is an excellent choice.... Not only will you shed the pounds your body will tighten up as you walk up to nowhere.

Treadmill is always great too, not running or jogging, but walking with an incline of 10 or more for 40-60 mins.
The other remainding minutes walk on the tm with a 0 incline and walk on 2.8 ....

Light weights are an excellent choice for toning and not building, try using 50 lbs each ...... 3 sets of 10....

Get your girlfriend to do 20lbs in each hand, 3x10 as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Get on the treadmill, work up to running, it is the best machine I have ever used at gettting a sweat up.

The great thing is winding the machine up and just try and stay on for a certian short period, then slow down to a jog, for a while and do it again. Its embarrassing if you fall off the back and boy you almost collapse at the end.

Forget bodybuilding, I did it for a while you are like a car with a souped up engine that can't move, all that strength is wasted unless you have stamina to actually undertake anything. So focus on the stamina building.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
thanks for the info guys...

I'm still searching but will take your advice into consideration.

I'd also be interested in any web sites that anyone may know of that might actually outline specific work outs and exercises.

I really have no idea where to start.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sit-ups, push ups, pull ups and running...it worked for me.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
www.netfit.co.uk...

Try this, good articles...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
elevated...what are your goals..do you simply want to lose weight, gain muscle, tone up, get stronger, bigger? and your girlfriend?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
if u wanna get fit then do press ups then sit ups then running or if u really wanna get fit then join the marines

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm gonna ask this here so I don't duplicate a thread...

I noticed some of you were very definite in your workout advice, which means you have hit on something you REALLY like doing. My question:

How many crummy exercises/machines/etc did you go through before you found that thing that you really love to do? I haven't found mine yet, although the NordicTrak had potential if I wasn't so clumsy!

I envy the people who love to work out because they've found Their Thing. For some it's a video, for some it's a particular machine like a treadmill and for some it's a billion crunches a day or something. How did you did you find it? Did you know ahead of time the kind of workout you were looking for or did you come across it by accident somehow and decide you love it enough to want to do it all the time? Was it fun or did it just give you the desired results?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
How many crummy exercises/machines/etc did you go through before you found that thing that you really love to do?

Well, when I started "lifting" I was using machines instead of free weights...this I really regret. I probably wasted a couple months on these before switching to free weights, which is the only thing that will really put on muscle. Then I was also lifting a lot, and not really know what the hell I was doing, or what kind of program to use, so I started researching about bodybuilding/strength training, mainly at bodybuilding.com and the forums at forum.bodybuilding.com Now I would consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to strength training, bodybuilding, dieting, and anything that has to do with working out...it just takes time and dedication to find out what works for you, and to find out what is better. And when it comes to cardio, nothing beats going out for a run outside (i hate treadmills), or boxing on the heavy bag, or bike riding.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
To build endurance anything that has to do with cardio will do, after a few months or even before that you will be ready to jump into something more.

Take your time and have fun, try different things so you don't get bore and the key is persistence, don't give up.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I do a combination of cycling, weights and running.

I love the cycling as it builds stamina and you get to do something really relaxing and exhausting, outside. The weights build the strength and the running also builds stamina. As I live close to a great range of hills I spend a lot of time running or cycling up and down them.

If I did something else it would be swimming, my wife went from not being able to swim a length to now doing up to 40 a session, its great for the body toning and stamina. Even though she could swim before, she still took advanced lessons and it helped her immensely. Swimming isn't about strength but style and stamina.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, heres my personal workout right now. I am not some champion bodybuilder, but im in good shape. Sixpack, biceps, triceps, ya know...that kinda thing.

But here goes:

When i started out, I used the Navy SEAL training workout, which can be found at www.bodybuilding.com.

Anyways, I roughly follow it, because it can get extremely hard. (75 minutes continous lap swimming (No stopping!)

OK, so here we go:

10 minute warmup on treadmill, going about 5 - 7 mph.
Then its on to the biceps and triceps: 3 sets of 10 reps each (For bicep and tricep)
If you have access to a preacher curl, use that. Its an extreme concentration on the biceps, GREAT WORKOUT. It will give results fast

Do 3 sets of 15 on that.

Next, onto the chest, one of the biggest muscles.

I do a few things for this: First, the bench press. 3 sets of 10, SLOWLY. Don't do it fast, your just cheating yourself. If you do it slow you will give the muscle time to build
Better results that way.

Next, pushups
3 sets of 15.

Now, we do the pullups
Underhand and overhand
I started with 3 sets of 3 pullups, because they can be hard. Now I am doing 3 sets of 10
Work your way up, if its easy for you, do more
Underhand is good triceps, and overhand is good for biceps

Next, the crunch
I do several different types. Here goes:

Regular crunch: 3 sets of 10. (Good for upper/middle abs)
Side crunch: (Take one leg and cross it over the other, then do a crunch bringing the opposite arm of the crossed over leg to touch the knee, 3 sets of 10)

Next, the knee-up. Good for lower abs. Stretch out your legs, and bring them up as you pull your upper back towards them.
3 sets of 10.

Next, I take a 10 pound weight and put it behind my head. I do a regular crunch while pulling the weight behind my head. Do 3 sets of 10

Then go take a shower

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The quickest way to "burn calories" which is to burn fat is a combination of three things...

First ------------Cardio-------to burn your calories
Seond----------Weight training to sculpt and build your muscle

Third------------Interval training------------- Cardio except your lowering and raing your heart beat so you get out of breath and calm yourself down which actually works alot faster to lost weight....

If you do Cardio three times a week, and Interval and weight training twice a week, you'll see results in no time...........

Since I started my workout, I decided i'm going to start building my muscle alot bigger and enter a natural bodybuilding contest.
No supplements no drugs... All natural........
Just on pure motivation..
good luck to me, and good luck to you!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I like the low impact type of exercising...walking, swimming, yoga, and pilates. The important thing is....just keeping moving and stay off the sofa!

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Actually even if your doing low impact it's not enough, you could walk everyday but eventually your body is going to go " ok i'm used to this I need to do something else, a challenge perhaps or i'm going to get pissed off at you and give you the oh so #ing fun cellulite!! ahhh!!

Give your body a challenge and get your heart rate up, thats what counts...

Even a 20 mins workout everyday 5x/wk with 2 mins spurts between of getting your heart rate up will do.

I'm doing that currently and i'm seeing results baby!!

oh yeah and i'm also doing weight training which helps alot too...

But that interval training is a challenge and it makes me feel great after i'm done...

Not only can I build up my stamina but I can also get rid of that lactic acid buildup and gain a better bod....

Now that sounds good, just thinking out it makes me want to jumping jacks!!
But i'm done for the day so I guess this should do:

top topics

join