It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Infrastructure Crumbles While We Spend Billions in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
A couple days ago, I read this in an article:

On Aug. 1, 2007, every child's worst nightmare came true.

At 6:05 p.m., a school bus transporting 60 children from the Waite House Neighborhood Center day camp clung precariously to a mangled steel guardrail on the I-35W Mississippi River bridge. Thankfully, the children and driver were spared. Many others, however, were not.

When the bridge collapsed, dozens of cars, tons of concrete and twisted steel beams plummeted 60 feet to the riverbed below. Thirteen died. Approximately 100 more were injured.

"This is a catastrophe of historic proportions," said Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

Prior to the collapse, every year as far back as 1990, federal inspectors had assigned a "structurally deficient" rating to the I-35W bridge. Yet for 17 years, the structure stayed open.

Currently, 73,518 of America's 594,709 bridges - roughly 12% - share this "structurally deficient" classification. But like the I-35W bridge, they too stay open.

This tragic disaster represents an economic and social epidemic quickly spreading throughout the United States today. American infrastructure keeps crumbling. Collapsing bridges, exploding steam pipes and Louisiana levees… And we fear these failures simply epitomize the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Poorly degraded U.S. roads, highways and interstates cost American taxpayers $67 billion per year, $5.6 billion per month, $186 million per day, $7.8 million per hour or $130,000 every minute - not for reconstruction, mind you - but for patchwork and cosmetic touch-ups.

The economic outlook gets worse.

We've mentioned these stats before. But they bear repeating. The American Society of Civil Engineers issued a grave warning. The United States has fallen so far behind in maintaining public infrastructure - roads, bridges, schools, dams - that it would take more than $1.5 trillion over five years just to bring it back up to standards.

The Iraq and Afghanistan wars have cost the United States $474 billion to date. In other words, public infrastructure maintenance alone will cost roughly three times as much as six years of war.

Full article here.

Further down in the article, the author also talks about old lead pipes -- there are apparently more than 5 million of them in America's water systems. Looks like we don't need another terrorist attack or natural disaster... in 10 or 20 years the whole US of A is simply going to fall apart at the seams.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by sylvie]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hi Sylvie,

I agree wholeheartedly with your OP. I live in Minnesota, and I can tell you that we were shocked by the bridge collapse. Minnesota is a blue state that prides itself on outstanding education, health care, and the environment. I have watched year after year lately as education issues have been voted down to the point that our elementary school no longer has pencils, paper, crayons and books. Arts and Sports programs are totally in a shambles. I know of many children of working parents that need health care and dentistry, but can't afford it. Meanwhile our parks and wilderness areas are being closed because they don't have the money to run them! I now know of at least two local families that will be evicted from their homes in February... these are working parents and kids!! All of this just in my little rural part of the world. If it can happen here where people care about such issues... I am sure it must be much worse in urban areas.

People need to wake up and start paying attention to the issues and problems facing us! We need to be informed voters!! Too many do not vote and just assume others are watching out for them... well WAKE UP! Taxes and money rule the electorate! And if you don't vote, someone else that is blaming all the woes of this country on the poor and immigrants is going to tighten the screws on your life even further!

The children are our future... can we just start by making sure they are healthy and educated? They are our most precious "Infrastructure".

Starred and flagged... good luck with this thread.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It is a major shame that that happened. There was no real reason why it should if those in control had done their jobs properly.

I've just had a quick little search as the USA is not the only country with similar problems. It has been a growing concern of the UK for quite a few years now. The most complained about the state of the roads.

Here's a few links..

This one has a youtube video with a few rants posted below, including figures.
papundits.wordpress.com...
Posted on August 6, 2007

British asbestos newsletter.
www.lkaz.demon.co.uk...
Summer 2001

And this posting gives you an idea on where the money is possibly going. Towards PR campaigns to dumb down the people into a way of control that makes many ask why they bother to put up with it and actually do something about it, they (like myself) leave the country.

One of the main reasons people are leaving the UK in droves is because of the obvious imminent collapse of the indigenous British culture that we all see unfolding before our eyes.

Our heritage is going down the pan (toilet) with a government who many say is hell bent on destroying our traditional British infrastructure. By the Governments actions it has been said by untold masses that they have been gradually creating the culling of the British people.

www.associatedcontent.com...

This one is a readers comment about a 'newsnight' topic. The actual article, again, gives an example to what is not being done.

we are facing infrastructure collapse (literally the falling tower) because soooo many people CHOOSE to come here and our most intelligent forum for debate comes up with the brilliant idea of spending public money asking these people if they like it here, are you mad or just divorced from reality?

www.bbc.co.uk...

And here is one from Quebec. Another bridge collapse from 2006.

As investigators in Quebec pore over the scene of a deadly weekend overpass collapse, a leading Canadian bridge engineer says governments must commit to upgrading the country's aging infrastructure.

www.cbc.ca...

And there are many many more examples plastered all over the internet. The majority of those I've found all seem to revolve around one subject as to why this is happening. War, that's why. They would rather pay for a war than make this planet the place it could be.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I wonder why during that 17 years, especially at that important two year period when Democrats controlled the Senate, the House, the White House and the Supreme Court that this wasn't taken care of. I was expecting a miracle back in '93 and '94. I would have to go back to my journals to remember all the miracles that took place during those two years, but one things remains clear in my mind. The tax increase. Remember "Read my lips, No More Taxes?" and then the distinct voice that said, "You can really read my lips, no more taxes".

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
One might also add that in Minnesota there is an earmark in the national budget that just passed for a $700,000 bike trail why is that money not instead ear marked for bridge repair granted it probably won't fix much but it will get the ball rolling..

My point is until those in Washington see the light we are going to be building bridges to no where and bike trails while your tax money that is collected from every gallon of gas that is sold at the pumps that is supposed to be used and if managed properly could take care of most of the repair work Is being pissed away..

Don't get me wrong I worked in Minnesota for quite a while and it was great there and good bike trails too but safety before fun right, right!

Two Cents Spent

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Clearly a change of government is called for, if despite all the evidence, it is not possible to impeach or remove from office, those responsible, then at the very least would it not be a good idea to persuade everyone you know to go out and vote for someone entirely different in the forthcoming elections?
Radical changes are obviously needed, I would agree that a return to the Spirit of the Constitution would be a good place to start, so why not throw your TV in the trash can and go out and help support those candidates who will support you?
Television has become little more than a brainwashing tool, and it would appear that very few people have even noticed, because it's effect is so subtle and so insidious. There are so many alternatives to TV, wake up, talk to real people, your friends, your neighbors, your workmates, interact with real people, and encourage them to use their Democratic Right to vote for someone honest, someone who cares about America and all her people, not just the industrialists and bankers.
The next election, may be the last time you will be able to make a difference, remember your Constitution, remember your Independence, and remember to use your vote wisely.
For at least three hundred years, the 'Free World' has operated a War Based Economy. which only profits a tiny minority who have the audacity to tell us that we have a Democracy, a Democracy is a Government of the People, for the People, by the People, you now have the chance to restore this Country as a shining example the World.
You can change the World,
Regards,
Horsegiver.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
America's Infrastructure Crumbles While We Spend Billions in Iraq

Ticks me off too. We spend billions to build Iraq. We spend billions in aid to foreign countries. And yet we have poor people in the Appalachians who don't have decent housing and can't get doctors. How about the parts of Baltimore that are beyond vile!? And bridges that are collapsing. And so on and so on.

AMERICA FIRST DANGITALL!!!!

We should be spending the $$ here ... AMERICA FIRST should be the new mantra.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is a major problem in Canada also. There was a report done that stated that it will cost approximately $123 billion dollars to fix the crumbling infrastucture here in Canada. The onus is on the municipalities to come up with this money. Here's one article about the report...

www.thestar.com...

Our Finance Minister said recently that the governmnet " wasn't in the business of fixing potholes".

$123 bilion dollars sounds like a lot of potholes.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It is really remarkable how thoroughly misgoverned we have been.

This is the consequence of a government without accountability and a populous too ignorant to recognize it.

:shk:

Let's hope all of that is changing.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It started with NAFTA and the politicians selling us out. I have seen the entire spiral here in the Motor City. In the 80's, I worked for an Non-Union auto related engineering/controls shop, that put many young men and women through college, when NAFTA was signed it took about a year before most of the technical builds were sent to Mexico and China.

The building is now empty, no more aspiring young men and women will ever work at this shop, nor will it ever open it's doors again. This shop was just one of thousands in Michigan that helped the USA grow.

People bitch and complain about unions and high wages, they cost to much, they're lazy, but the unions are the ones that established the middle class.

Unions have been broken, now we have lost most industry that can help rebuild our crumbling infrastructure. I was one that use to bitch about the Unions because I did see how many lazy people their were riding the coat-tails of the Union powerhouse, but there were many great workers that keep the Slackers out of trouble, now the pendulum has swung to far the other way.

Ultimately people are buying the propaganda put out by large corporations blaming the little people, while all the while the CEO's are making outrages amounts of money.

How naive is the USA?

[edit on 5-1-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I REALLY wish Klinton had fixed all this in the 8 years HE was in office!

And not saddled us with DECADES of work to overcome his tax increases.

But not to worry....if you Bush haters get your way, the Hildabeast will be the next prez, and SHE will fix all!

Go Killary Klinton Kronies! (yes...I noticed the acronym, too.)

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
more good news ...

A levee broke east of Reno, Nevada, on Saturday following a strong winter storm and flooded an estimated 800 homes, a Nevada Department of Public Safety spokesman said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
But Huckabee plays bass..well. It doesnt matter whose in office. The "Two Americas" theory seems like it will become more and more of a reality over the next half century. The best evidence will be who has access to the better infrastructure? Infrastructure of anything....

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiamStemrad
I REALLY wish Klinton had fixed all this in the 8 years HE was in office!

And not saddled us with DECADES of work to overcome his tax increases.

But not to worry....if you Bush haters get your way, the Hildabeast will be the next prez, and SHE will fix all!

Go Killary Klinton Kronies! (yes...I noticed the acronym, too.)

Did you 'knotice' the first National Budget Surplus since 1969? Or were you too busy trying to think up lame, racist acronyms since 2000?

And you meant the decades of work that George W. Bush has saddled the American People with to overcome his asinine tax cuts for the rich, while taking the country into illegal wars that "Saddle" each American Citizen with over 30,000 dollars of debt to the World Banks and Chinese... right? You were completely mistaken in you point, right?

And before you can try to "Strawman" me as a "Klintonian" or whatever else you have in you "Gatekeeper" bag of tricks, I am on to you. Go ahead and get banned, or retire to a new screenname, but this one is MUD.
DocMoreau

new topics

top topics

join