It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless rate hits 5 percent, 2-year high

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

infinite~
Break this all down for me please. The stock market makes my head hurt, I can see the economy is taking a nose dive from unemployment, inflation, mortgage crisis, real estate crisis but I know that the rest of the country waits for the stock market for official notice. So what is a crash and how does it work?
I really believe that the stock market is a big scam, this is probably because I don't really understand the process but if one trader can drive up the cost of oil based on gaining a name for themselves I am very concerned about our countries business minded outlook.
And what is the deal with the puts or whatever they are that traders are able to trade on events happening? Sounds like legalized gambling to me. There was a big story on here not long ago about someone "betting"/trading a lot of $$$ just on a date of a crash in the market. How does that fit in?

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Also remember that the market was closed on the first, so that drop was in shortened trading week. I imagine that lots of institutional types were on vacation most of the week. Next week will be interesting. I've given my 2 cents in another thread. I believe that historically the market is up more than down in January.

Like a spoiled child the monied interests have refused to take their medicine for a while now. Crying for rate cuts, talking their books on CNBC, and generally acting like ostiches. A recession is a normal part of the business cycle. Steps taken to avoid one typically only make it worse when it does come.

The US has had several depressions in it's history. They tend to come just as all or most of the people who lived through the last one have died.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

I won't go into the basics and theory because its VERY boring

The profits are starting to squeeze many listed companies, which is bringing down the share price. Cost of oil, other inflation items, are effecting running costs (lower profits). Due to this, many are selling and the stock market is becoming a risk investment.

<< 1   >>

join