It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What have your learned from ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
well, recently there have been threads about how ATS is 'dead' and such. I wanted to share with you what ATS has taught me since joining in 2003.

Before ATS, I had no idea about any of the following:

- 9/11 conspiracies
- freemasonry
- illuminati
- Michael Tsarion
- Bill Hicks
- Jim Marrs (loved your talk about the UFO published about in 1895)
- Who really owns the media?
- Chakras
- MJ12
- William Cooper
- Phil Schneider
- Sumeria
- History of the Bushes
- David Icke
- Alex Jones
- Bilderbergs
- History of the Royal Family
- Symbolism in every day logos
- Bruce Lipton
- About JFK
- Websites with lots of good videos such as dedroidify.org.

So, despite some of the 'sub-par' threads, it is still possible to learn a lot from ATS.

BTW, I'm not receiving any royalty checks for this, this is just an independent opinion

Thank you for reading.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have learned that an inordinate amount of people, from all nations and walks of life, are willing to believe wild, poorly written stories and fantastic claims based upon faulty logic, rampant speculation, and total factless conjecture so long as it fits in their preconceived biases, strokes their ego, or allows them the safety, warmth, and satisfaction of being a part of a larger community.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here are a few things I have learned from my short stint on ATS.
( Mostly from watching others play here )

1. If you are claiming alien/UFO you better have pics

2. NEVER open a file in Photoshop and resave it, even without making changes, before posting it

3. If you are angry about a post - dont reply straight away - it could get you a warning.

3. There is a VERY large divide between the 9/11 OFFICIAL STORY believers and the NON BELIEVERS

4.There are not enough threads about JFK and the Philly Exp connection.

5. John Lear is a fairly funny and cool guy!

That is all I have for now.

Dorian Soran

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i learnt that aliens might be more real then i thought when i saw the tether thing thanks to this website

and a few other things ats is like youtube without the video

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I have learnt, well... no, reinforced my knowledge that people are strange.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have learned to not believe everything you read because some of it is definitely way out there
; take things at face value to start with. On this sight I've heard lots of interesting views on the NWO, 911, UFO's, Alex Jones etc. Haven't completely made up my mind on a lot of it yet though.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by MissInformation]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is as strange as the imagination of the average ATS member... (have you seen the area51 forum recently!)

;0)

[edit on 7/1/08 by rat256]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
That people are far more stubborn that I ever gave them credit for.
And to think I already knew people were damn stubborn.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I have learned SO much from ATS.

So many "conspiracies" and people that I had never heard of.

I have also learned that there will always be someone (many) out there who will believe ANYTHING just because its told to them. They can have none or hardly any real concrete evidence and believe, just because they can

I have also expanded my mind and become more open to things....yet remain pretty skeptical at the same time. Its a balance and I'm somehow managing it. :LOL:

I also have learned about people and what goes on in their minds. More then I could have w/out ever coming here. Sort of like going to a zoo and seeing how the animals live, think, interact, etc etc.

Many times my eyes roll.
Many times my eyes bug out from shock
Many times my eyes open wide in amazement and wonder
Many times I laugh my arse off
Ive also been known to blow some steam
, after all...I amhot and fiesty. LOL

But I have NEVER EVER EVER logged on here, read thru threads and walked away: bored, not challenged or with my mind blank and not thinking about the things I read. I have never ending topics to think about, research and discuss with the people in my "real life".

This place rocks!

[edit on 8-1-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I've learnt many things from the sublime to the ridiculous but my inbuilt skeptometer hasn't let me down yet.

A major discovery is that if 100 people view the same event we'll get at least 100 (usually more
) interpretations of what really happened.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Of all the things I've learned on ATS the two most prevalent are:

1) People will never, ever agree on anything as a whole.(It comes with the brain, I suppose)

2) People don't understand the concept of grammar.

Everything else is still purely speculation with traces of fact here and there.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Sorry, there's a third thing as well:

3) 99% of people don't actually read anything before forming an opinion.

Cynical? Yes. Accurate? Double Yes.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I have learned that just because this is a "conspiracy discussion board" doesn't mean the majority of members actually believe in any conspiracies.

I have learned just because you post a thread about a theory doesn't mean there will be discussions about the theory, more than likely you will get a bunch of off topic posts [attacking the poster, see any johnlear thread] stating opinions as fact.

I have learned the NWO is real, and if they are of a nefarious nature, thats it's best not to discus them openly.

I have learned 9/11 will never be solved, like JFK and Pearl Harbor. All that could be known will never be.

I have learned disinformation agents are real and are at work everyday.

[edit on 8-1-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
that patriotism and religion often tend to blind people to reason
that a site where "deny ignorance" is the motto somehow attracts the ignorant
and that paranoia really prevents rational discourse on certain matters.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I have learned that there is a lot of disinformation going on, that the general people's minds is always behind the real concerns ,that arguing on the internet is useless ( it really is ) ,that John Lear puts a lot of effort into answering peoples question here, kinda cool..., that by the year of 2007 a shift in the public mind (Alien/UFO) forum occured and now many start to believe in atleast 1 generell alien species the "greys"...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
ATS is a cool spot to visit and there can be a good deal of information worth considering.

I have learned that for many, education seems to be an afterthought. Many do not seem to know the difference between Grammar, and their mothers mother. Science and logic seem to be rarer than a raw steak at a vegetarian convention. Far too few individuals understand the global map and have never set foot all that far from home, thus for many, foreign cultures are something found in a lab beaker. If you want to survive the coming Apocalypse you better be armed like Rambo, because a good gun is all you will need. If you see a face on Mars it must be real, unlike a face one sees in the clouds. Occcam's razor is something made by Gillette and it appears to be getting rusty. A pre conceived opinion is very important and never to be changed. The other guy is always wrong if he is from another country, and he probably wears stupid clothes, or belongs to a cult.

There are some very Smart people on ATS. Many work quite hard to help educate others and do a great job at it. I have learned a good deal of cool facts and new ideas here. I am impressed at the caliber of many of the posts and the solid data they dig up. The pursuit of knowledge can often lead to some very interesting neighborhoods.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

LOL It's cool. I always like your posts. I am self educated BTW, and believe that the words a man chooses, and how carefully he puts them together, demonstrate the measure of respect he has for others. That's why grammar counts.

Most of my previous post was sarcastic, tongue in cheek so to speak, as I do believe ATS is a place worth visiting for many reasons. Just because some folks in here are obsessed with silly notions doesn't mean that everyone is.

China was fantastic and unfortunately since coming back, work has conspired to keep me too busy to work on the field report. It will be forth coming soon though.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I to enjoy your posts ( OMG what is this a pat on the back fest lol )

I guess because someone like me who is also self educated, when i see people "dissing" others because there gramma isint correct it kinda grates me , my gramma sucks ............but then again she has no teeth.

Im looking forward to you posts on china ,its a fasinating country,

and your right some people on here do have some silly ideas and notions ....take the lizard guys for example............come on people do you realy belive the queen of england is a reptile?....a Nazi maybe a lizard NO.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I've learned too much to make a list of everything. I gave in and joined.

new topics

top topics

join