It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultists Taking Over ATS!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I don't see a problem. There has always been a lot of 'crazy' on ATS since I started lurking and I can't think of a better place for it. There's something uniquely great about forums. Do you know? You don't have to read everything that is posted. In fact, even if you click on something that you thought was something else, there's a button on your browser that says "back." That thing can really come in handy.

I say, if no one is getting hurt, let your freak flag fly. This is ATS!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
But you never really know where a post will lead. You can guess, based on the heading, but you're never certain for a ways in if it's "cultish" or opinion, or even humor.

Once not too long ago there was a thread, which I read before the mods could remove it, that cracked me up. I'm sure it would have offended some, but I found humor in it. I could just see some skinny hairless 20 something that lived in his mother's basement, dancing naked on his bed playing air guitar and singing the (what he posted to start the thread) words to "Jesus Built My Hotrod", which I am guessing was an original composition. (No, I didn't save that thread, and all I'll say is use all the "dirty" imagination you have at hand, and you'll be close to this song.)

I find most of these people entertaining. The "Hotrod" poster meant to be, but even the really serious ones are often just as good for a laugh. The point is, if you're secure in what you hold in your own mind as the truth, whatever that may be, then these threads have no value other than entertainment. Debating them is pointless, as there are none so blind and unwilling to change, than those betting their souls.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
ATS follows the same formula as everything else. The larger and more popular it becomes the worse it gets. As the site become more and more bloated with fringe elements many posters will start looking for the new smaller forums where they won't be confronted or attacked by this new sort of Internet vigilante. The irony is that what will ultimately kill this site is that it was a success.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yea but people don't like the smaller forums because you can't get the quick feedback like you do here on ATS.

Plus, there's a different caliber of membership here in that we've got some very, very intelligent people on this board as well as those who have advanced degree's in one of the sciences; you just don't find that anywhere else on the web like you do here.

Personally, I find a few of those belief oriented threads very interesting. For example, OP of that Beast thread is also an excellent writer and for this reason it was fun to read her interpretations of things in the Bible. Sure, it's real radical stuff but nevertheless, it's very intriguing material too.

So I'm glad she came here to talk about her theories. A lot of it gives much food for thought.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Look everyone!

It's the first "ATS is going downhill" thread of 2008!!

Ummm... it's hard to fathom how somebody can be a "charismatic" leader on a written discussion board. Outrageous beliefs can be found anywhere and everywhere you care to look IMO

P.S. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Show me them cultist so I can rain on their parade.

I was think the same thing when I read the post. The first ATS is in the toilet thread for 2008.

To many different people and opinions on ATS for it to go in one direction, that is the only reason I come back to ATS because of the diversity.

And to see Springer use his Ban Hammer from time to time.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Now tell me how this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this one:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

With a combined total thus far of 13 flags and 8 stars, DON'T fit into the above definition of cult.

Nope, No Cult Here - these two threads are the result of the religious crap that has been pounded into the minds of every human for more than 2000 years to keep us in check and to keep us from evolving spiritually.

Simple As That.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
What's the deal with all the cult-like talk going on here lately?

Lately?

Well man, I agree that there are quite a few far out theories in a wide range of categories but this is hardly new and to say "cultists" are taking over ATS is being a bit melodramatic. Especially when you present only two thread examples.

I think that this site is being more overrun by a group of hardcore skeptics.

I think there are a lot more skeptics on ATS that want to turn this site into something other than what it purports to be. It's gotten to the point where some have been simply outraged at certain conspiracy ideas that now they are closely monitored. Reptilian threads seem to be banished (along with Planet X) but Bug-eyed Grays are still allowed. Even they too are met with the same frustration by certain members bent on telling everyone that they are the ones that are sane and anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts.

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with an impressive demographic mix of members.

ATS The Basics

Even though it is clearly stated as the place for such ideas to be presented you will never the less see one of those "sigh...I'm sick of all these UFO Alien threads!"

Huh?
You're in the Alien forum!

Why come here and then gasp, roll eyes, get annoyed or even attack the authors of the very ideas this site caters to? Are skeptics or debunkers really THAT shocked when these topics come up? I just wonder what goes on in the mind of the person that constantly visits a such that seems to be an open forum for ideas that apparently are in stark opposition to their own core personal beliefs.

Could it be an ego trip? A chance to attack all these "nutjobs"?

My feeling on the subject of these "cult" threads you mention is that they are just another addition to the madness of the unusual. Be skeptical, heck there is a lot of nonsense out there and skepticism is healthy even if some sad people use it as an excuse to be simply nasty or rude. Debate them (civilly) or ignore them if they aren't your kind of "crazy" as someone put it.

Just don't suggest they don't belong.

And this one: www.belowtopsecret.com...

It was only a matter of time before Jesus himself appeared on these forums.

Meh.

- Lee

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
Indeed you are correct. Slowly but surely, the really smart people on ATS are taking over. We're learning to let the less able prattle on while we focus on the important things. We leave a few "dreg threads" out there, much the same way you leave out flypaper, so that some will quibble over how many angels will fit on the head of a pin. It leaves the rest of us to pursue more stimulating conversation.

I think it's working.

Part of the fun is everyone gets a say. Truth? Well..... But entertainment is important too. I like the outrageous posts.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

It was only a matter of time before Jesus himself appeared on these forums.

Meh.

- Lee

That time has come and gone.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I applaud you Lee for your excellent essay and for having the guts to say how things actually are here.

Nevertheless, the fact that I'm still here gives LIVING PROOF that even though this forum is at times inundated with hard-core skeptics, thankfully they only come in waves where they then tire out and recede back into the background -- like the tides of the ocean, they ebb and flow... Just check the next full moon and you'll see a lot of those skeptics come out from their hiding places in full bloom; like weeds in an otherwise pristine landscape. Kinda tell's you what they're all about...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
It's the first "ATS is going downhill" thread of 2008!!

I know we get those kind of threads every few months ... ATS is going downhill or ATS is disinformation or ATS is really gov't runned ..etc.

But .. he's right. In the past few weeks there has been a BUNCH of cultists - bible/end of the world types who follow some self proclaimed prophet type.

I agree with the OP - ATS is in the midst of a wave of cultists.

It happens every so often. It's like different cults target the place or something and their members come in droves. Eventually they all get banned or loose interest when their arguements are thrashed.

I think one of the cults is some Order of Angels or something ...

[edit on 1/4/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The Icke cultists that want to kill people who they think are reptilian is slightly concerning.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Cherubic Order of Holy Angels

www.chosen.moonfruit.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
The Icke cultists that want to kill people who they think are reptilian is slightly concerning.

I'm not really familiar with "Icke cultists(?)", but thats a pretty bold statement. I don't think I've read anyone threaten to murder actual people on these threads they think are aliens so far as I would assume that would be against T and C of the site.

Could you put up a reference?

- Lee

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Those photo's were pretty strange. Where they supposed to be...angels?

Anyway, thats a pretty innocuous site for a major cult thats going to overtake this place in 08'. Looks like they're going to need a little more funding.

A large number of members may help too.

- Lee

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD
I don't see a problem. There has always been a lot of 'crazy' on ATS since I started lurking and I can't think of a better place for it. There's something uniquely great about forums. Do you know? You don't have to read everything that is posted. In fact, even if you click on something that you thought was something else, there's a button on your browser that says "back." That thing can really come in handy.

ha ha
right on!
back to my cult

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Yacov]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I believe they make their money through the sell of books.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What a horrible existence thinking that the world is going to end any day now.

I'm still amazed why there are people out there who are so thrilled about the prospect of Armageddon. To me, it seems rather perverse and unnatural to be in that state of mind all of the time.

Tell them that 100 people just died in a suicide bomber attack and they're gleefully doing a tap dance saying "I told you so! Armageddon's coming soon! Wow! This is soooooo exciting!"

It saddens me that so many Fundies or extremists of any stripe are like this. Actually, it's quite disturbing when you think about it.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

You are 1000% right on. No that's not a typo

I've been reading through some planet x threads and those x planet believers are actually scaring some people. I've posted very solid evidence debunking their "ideas" and they seem bent on posting false info regardless.

This is happening in more and more threads. It really makes me feel bad for those who get sucked in because of the psudo-scientific bovine feces posted.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD

Although stating ones opinion should always be ok here or anywhere, what concerns me is those who post knowingly false information which results in scaring others. That is not ok and I am seeing it happen more and more.

You can't yell fire in a crowded theater unless of course there really is a fire.
You shouldn't yell "planet x" when there is no planet x for the same reason. They can cause panic and people can get hurt either psychologically or physically.

Of course most of this is just my humble opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join