It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army bonus payments frozen by Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Army bonus payments frozen by Bush

www.armytimes.com

The Army has temporarily halted bonus payments for more than 20 enlistment, re-enlistment and service extension programs pending enactment of authorizing legislation. President Bush, to the surprise of Congress and the Defense Department, vetoed the fiscal 2008 Defense Authorization Act on Dec. 29 after months bargaining with House and Senate leaders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com
www.libertypost.org

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Alright military people, I am wondering your thoughts on this one. I do not know anything about the military pay subject, but if this was a civilian job, we'd be ticked off. How is it that you can spend billions at the drop of a hat for projects like sound weapons and new unmanned aircraft, yet you can't give the heroes defending us a little bit extra? A good boss let's his employees know that he appreciates them and gives them things for motivation and the right tools for the job. So how good of a boss has our current leader been?

www.armytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I don't serve, haven't served, and probably will never serve. But there is one thing I have to say. These men and women have left their families to die for their country, regardless of how they feel about the commander in chief. So help me god, when those military personnel return to the United States that they have so proudly fought for, they should have everything they deserve handed to them on a silver platter, carried by a sniveling Bush crawling on his knees.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Ok, this gets technical really quick, but i'll try to make sense of this based on my knowledge of USAF, not US Army, enlistments and extensions.

If the new budget comprimise does not authorize the bonus program nobody will get the bonus. This counts for all agreements signed on or after Jan 1.

Since it is the 3rd today there shouldn't be that many affected, but it still affect those who did and those who plan on doing so. If this only affects 1 person it still sucks since that one person isn't going to get the bonus that most likely helped make their decision to stay in.

Doing month to month extentions sucks, I did it so I know, and until you get the deal you want you are in limbo, but you still get paid. This isn't a bad deal, but the USAF only allows you to extend up to 48 months. I don't know how the Army operates, but if you are already on an extension you might get screwed and have to reenlist if the Army has a limit on extension time. The adendum to your agreement will say that you are not guaranteed the bonus unless it is in the new budget. This is a loop hole that can screw you.

The worst part of all this is who this affects. The most critical jobs are the ones that won't get paid the bonuses. I am in a critical career field and losing people who do what I do, my job is also critical for the Army side, would hurt how the military operates.

I understand what the president did, but there should be a line item veto available to him so things like this don't happen. All the Army needs is $1 billion to keep these bonuses going.

Since this budget also includes the USAF, i'm wondering how my future bonus will be affected since i'm due to resign this year. I am not about to get screwed out of $60K, so I need this to get cleared up ASAP.

For all those who are debating on seperating, please think twice since the military needs you. I know the civilian sector pays 6 figure salaries for some of the jobs that are critical, mine included, but you might leave a gap that can't be filled and create a bigger problem for the country you serve. This isn't a guilt trip, so think about the pros and cons and keep any emotions locked away since they won't help you make a logical decision.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Not that I'm a Bush supporter but this is a little thin. Bush vetoed the budget due to some political consideration in the overall gigantic budget. This thread makes it seem like he deliberately wanted to kill bonuses to the servicemen. In fact apparently if the bonuses do get killed it will be congress's fault, or more precisely the operatives who control congress

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

No doubt it has a bit to due with who is running Congress. Everything in our world seems to be determined by them some how. Bush is still part of the BS though. It still doesn't make sense that we can spend so much money on useless dribble yet we can't ensure something extra for our troops goes through without any obstacles.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As said by another poster, this will only have an impact on anything signed on or after 1 Jan 08. The bonuses that are already paying out will continue to do so. Furthermore, we will still be receiving the 3% base pay raise effective 1 Jan 08.

I had a feeling that this would be spun to make Bush look bad but he did what he thought was right. Once congress and Bush can come to an agreement, everything that they decide will be paid retroactive from the first of the year.

What also gets me is that the news only tells you the bad stuff. What they didn't tell you is that our housing allowance went up quite a bit starting on the first.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
555 billion dollars and no bonus seems only HBR gets the bonus

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
repeat post

www.abovetopsecret.com...

very important though

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeff Riff

You are pointing out that the other thread is the repeat post, right? I've been reading this one since it opened...a couple hours before yours.

Just wondering.

On the topic...I'm disgusted. They need MORE bonuses, not less. They work hard for a pittance and rely on the bonuses to feed their families.

Just wrong.
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PrepareForTheWorst

I had a feeling that this would be spun to make Bush look bad but he did what he thought was right.

No offense, but what has been the outcome every time Bush has done something he thought was right?? Not very good. I still think that this could be done in a much easier way. Glad to hear though that you got an increase for housing.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
bush minor just loves his military and has great respect for them... yeah right. Use them, praise them and screw them is his policy.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Well since the elite simply view the military as chattel I am not surprised that they shortchange them or worse use them for various experiments and such. Was it Kissinger who said?

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign
policy"

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

this is nothing new. they did this to everyone I knew when I was in the military as well. They signed up for 6 more years to get re-enlistment bonuses, but the following year the said bonuses were canceled, and to add insult to injury, they implemented stop-loss, so they were forced to stay in active duty even after their re-enlistment was up. Luckily, I had caught on to their trickery by that point and declined re-enlisting. I also found a way around stop loss.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PrepareForTheWorst

What also gets me is that the news only tells you the bad stuff. What they didn't tell you is that our housing allowance went up quite a bit starting on the first.

Very true. Thanks for mentioning this. Ours went up almost $300 a month!

And not every job gets a bonus (not my husband's current and not his new), at least not in the Air Force. Only a select few careers do. So its not like the entire military is going to suffer LOL And eventually they will get their bonus. Its just going to be delayed a bit. Sucks, but its not being taken away.

As for the paise raise. We still get our 3.0 and will get the remainder .5 eventually.

I have no complaints

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

nd not every job gets a bonus (not my husband's current and not his new), at least not in the Air Force. Only a select few careers do.

Well, I think that is not a good policy. Being in the military, regardless of the job, deserves a bonus all the way around IMHO. I am in the medical field at a University Medical center, and I tell you this, I guarantee I pay more for insurance than you guys do. I also receive no kind of "bonus" for helping diagnose rare disorders and aiding in treatments for cancer patients and to be honest, it doesn't bother me. But in today's times, or even in the past, where you never know when your unit might get called away, I believe they should all get an across the board bonus. Any job that puts your life on the line to protect someone else deserves something extra. It just seems that the guys we send off to foreign lands always seem to get things taken away from them or they are not taken care of when they get back. I just don't get it I guess. A lot of things our country does do not make since and I don't think that will ever change no matter who is running the show.

new topics

top topics

join