It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan to Increase Emergency Stockpiles of Grains, Yomiuri Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Japan to Increase Emergency Stockpiles of Grains, Yomiuri Says

www.bloomberg.com

Jan. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Japan, the world's biggest grain importer, plans to increase emergency stockpiles of corn, wheat and soybeans next year to ensure stable supplies at a time of soaring global prices, the Yomiuri newspaper reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just curious on this one. Should we be doing this as well or are we already? I am not too familiar in this area, but why buy so much as the prices are so high? Are the global prices going to get so high that they are worried about running out or do they know something the rest of us don't?

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Maybe its a signal that they are a little more worried about climate change than we seem to be and are thinking ahead. With the decline in moisture available in the form of a snow pack build up we might be facing a drought this year with some crop failures.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Well, it's not a secret, but it hasn't been mainstream ...yet.

It's not only peek oil times, it is peek food times too.

How Long Can the World Feed Itself?

For the sixth time in the past seven years, the human race will grow less food than it eats this year. We closed the gap by eating into food stocks accumulated in better times, but there is no doubt that the situation is getting serious. The world's food stocks have shrunk by half since 1999, from a reserve big enough to feed the entire world for 116 days then to a predicted low of only 57 days by the end of this year.

This was 2006. By now it's getting down to a month supply in reserves. Like with oil we are eating the reserves right now, as we've done for most of the last decade.

And it's getting worse. Because peek oil gets so much more attention and politically it is a much more hot thing, first of all concerning US in the West. It's not the rule that we would have to go without fuel, no matter what happens. What's the idea to own s a SUV (or two) if you can't get any juice for them? On the other hand it has always been the rule, more or less, that they starve in third world countries.

So what we do? --not to run out of gas for our SUVs?-- We take arable land and grow so-called bio-fuels. A more correct word would be death-fuels, because every time you fill up the SUV one family is deprived food for one year. How often do fill up you SUV?

Of course there will be food anyway ...but only for those who can pay.

Allready 29% of Americans have to go to bed on a stomach less than full, and risk their children to grow up malnutrited.

Sure, when the oil is done, it'll be frood next.

This is not common knowledge, but it's out there and should be basic knowledge for any concerned ATS member.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
This is not common knowledge, but it's out there and should be basic knowledge for any concerned ATS member.

It is a topic that has been brought up on ATS before but I think it is not getting the attention it deserves.

I'll quote myself from another thread: World food stocks dwindling, UN warns

The food/grain situation has been building for a few years.

If you are unaware of it, I'd suggest it's because you are not paying enough attention to the price of your groceries and why they have been rising these last few years.

This post of mine in 2005 (Hey buddy... Spare Some Food?) revolves around all of the droughts that occurred around the world that year and the resulting low food stocks.

Add that to the fact that the world consumed more food than it produced in 2006 (look it up) and that 2007 numbers are looking like they will be similar and it's no surprise that food stocks/grain reserves are at historic lows.

It's also no surprise that commodity prices are rising to historic levels. The population keeps growing and growing affluence in places like China lead to more consumption of meat/dairy and other inefficient forms of caloric intake.

This realization should also make you wonder at the utter insanity of subsidizing and promoting biofuels as a solution to our energy problems.

The fact that a major G8 nation has announced such measures is something to take note of.

If everybody starts to build emergency reserves at the same time watch those prices skyrocket even faster and higher!!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Thanks for siding Gools

Yes, this is the agenda, create shortage to up the prices.

It's here and now, but don't forget the overall agenda is depopulation.

That's number one on the list of the elite, and bio-fuels are a selective weapon. Very clever, the lower classes will have to go in our parts of the world too. Will save future governments a lot of trouble.

That's the agenda of the NWO, to kill as many of us as possible, and what easier way than to just let us starve to death.

MBF

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

We take arable land and grow so-called bio-fuels. A more correct word would be death-fuels, because every time you fill up the SUV one family is deprived food for one year. How often do fill up you SUV?

Exactly how do you figure that it takes a years worth of food for a family to produce one tank full of fuel for a SUV? The entire mass is NOT converted to fuel and what is left has food value.

There should not be a food shortage in this country right now, because we leave a large amount of the crops in the fields to rot every year because of no markets or very low prices(below harvest costs). If you want to see a mad farmer, take him to a grocery store. The difference between the price we get for our crops and the price they sell for in the stores is outrageous.

I think there will be a food shortage in this country in the near future though for two reasons. First, this country has turned anti-Mexican. Most people don't want them here. They are just about the entire workforce to harvest the crops. And I don't want to hear any crap about hiring Americans to harvest the crops because we can't get them to do the work that the Mexicans will do. Field work is hard work and the Mexicans deserve a LOT more respect for doing it than they get. If this country sends the Mexicans back home, there will be NOBODY in this country to harvest the food. Second, the price of fertilizer, seed and chemicals have gotten out of hand. Even though crop prices have risen, they still have not kept pace with the production costs. Other farmers that I have talked to recently have told me that they have no idea how to cut the production costs any more. Something is going to have to give shortly or there is going to be a complete meltdown of the agriculture industry in this country.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

The quote about a tankfull of ethanol equals food for one year Is frequently seen in articles critical to bio-fuels. I've seen it here on ATS too. Exaxtly from where it comes I'm not sure. If you google "ethanol SUV feed one year" you get 200,000+ hits. I'm quite sure I read it somewhere as 'one family', but the search (the first page) comes up with it as 'one man'. So foregive my exateration. Anyway it's still a lot of food for driving a car a few days.

Here's the google search.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

That's the agenda of the NWO, to kill as many of us as possible, and what easier way than to just let us starve to death.

I'll tell you another way.....Mandatory vaccinations. This is another rising situation that people need to be very aware of. I have posted a few threads regarding this issue and it seems as though people still don't get it.
regarding agriculture, I live directly across from a dairy farm and I spoke to the guy who runs it. Fifteen years ago, the place was booming. They were a major dairy supplier for many of the local markets and for the company Upstate Farms. He has told me that they are fighting tooth and nail to maintain Upstate Farms but are slipping very quickly as they cannot keep up with the costs. Their workforce has essentially been cut in half over the last five years. Another thing he mentioned is that the landowners of these farms are selling out to store front developers (WAL-MART) or to housing developers just so they can get big chunks of money to secure their own lives. Plus I am sure they are under great pressure from WAL-MART to give up their land.

MBF

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

What most people don't take into consideration is the distillers grain that is a byproduct of ethanol production.

LINK

Distillers grain is a food source mainly used for meat production.

LINK

Another byproduct is carbon dioxide which is used in carbonated drinks.

The problem that I have with biodiesel or vegetable oil fuels is that they have to be processed with methanol to remove the glycerin. Something will have to be done with the waste product.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
And you add the fact that the eco-nuts wants the food crops to be turned into ethanol crops... which is the worse idea since the Iraq invasion.

I mean hell, ethanol is worse for the environement than oil and it would lower our worldwide production of food... WTF?

Globalists + eco-religion-nuts = disaster for humanity and mostly the poors in Africa, asia and south america.

The when riots in america occurs because of the price of food/oil, people will give up their guns to eat or go to FEMA camps to have food... then they can instaure a dictatorship, the people will surrender because they will be hungry.

[edit on 5-1-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If you do not like agriculture products going into fuels, then you will have to pay more for food. It is that simple.

A farmer needs to make money. If you can get more for fuel production than you can for food production, chances are you are going to go for the big market.

Also, most farmers do not know what happens to their product after it is sold.

But it comes down to this. Everyone is going to be paying more for food in the future. The population of the planet is always growing, diets are changing (alot of people are now having 3 good meals), land is being eaten up by urban sprawl etc.

Food has been very cheap for a very long time. People don't complain much about buying designer clothes, computers, DVD's etc. But when food prices go up.... OH NO!

Get used to it.

MBF

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Farmers are the only business that don't set their prices. I have sold corn for $3.00 or less for over 35 years. My production costs have gone up maybe 10 times what they were 35 years ago. The fertilizer that I paid $30/ton is now $400/ton. Diesel that was $.25/gal is now $3.00/gal and I have paid as much as $600/gal for some chemicals.

I don't know why people think that we are going to starve just because ethanol is being produced. If we take the corn that we export every year and use it produce ethanol, it would yield about 5 billion gallons of ethanol and never touch the corn used in this country.

Grain Exports

Current ethanol production is about 4.8 billion gallons.

Ethanol Production

Ethanol is Not the only thing produced. Other food byproducts are produced too.

Ethanol Production

new topics

top topics

join