It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hole in frozen lake had no explanation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Anyone have any slant on this? This article I believe is last years, and they say that this year the lake isn't open, but where the hole has appeared in the past, the ice is considerably thinner than the surrounding ice....

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hummm....interesting, but it doesn't seem supernatural by any means. But this is what I found really odd: "Since the black hole opened up last year, it has frozen over only once. Not in sub-zero temperatures, but on a balmy 40-degree day. "

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Hummm....interesting, but it doesn't seem supernatural by any means. But this is what I found really odd: "Since the black hole opened up last year, it has frozen over only once. Not in sub-zero temperatures, but on a balmy 40-degree day. "

(Supernatural?)

I agree- also the uniform temperature from surface to bottom was interesting.

Scientists had also performed other tests- pH, oxidation levels, chemical, etc., and found nothing unusual.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. I wonder what in the world could cause something like this? Could it be a tear in the earths magnetic field that allows more solar heat and radiation through?

Well if all else fails I am with this guy:

"It could be aliens or someone's septic backing up," added a man in coveralls between bites of his waffle.

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
yep that is extremely weird.

It froze over on a 40 degree day...but not in sub-zero temperatures
very very weird.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Does anyone know of any phenomona like this before or is this a first?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Maybe a UFO crashed in the lake!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wonder about the accuracy of the claim that the hole froze over on a 40 degree day. How cold was it the night before?

My guess is that the local ground water flow has been altered, probably because of recent development.

�The martini is a purplish concoction of vanilla vodka and black Sambuca. In the drink-sized version of the black hole, there is no mystery. The "hole" is a black licorice jellybean bobbing at the bottom of the glass. �
Gahhhh, That sounds pretty nasty.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
MMM, somehow I think I seen a hole similar to this but it wasnt near as big.(lost in thought)
Anyway, its a pretty nice whole, I think there could be some volcanic activity under the water to explain this one.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eternal
MMM, somehow I think I seen a hole similar to this but it wasnt near as big.(lost in thought)
Anyway, its a pretty nice whole, I think there could be some volcanic activity under the water to explain this one.

In Minnisota?

LOL

The surface geology of that area is all glacial till. Sand beds, etc. Bedrock is often St. Peter�s sandstone, a very porous rock.

The ground water flow can easily be altered through human activities.

The uniform water temperature indicates that the normal stratification (thermocline) has been altered. Looking at the picture, I�ll bet that the backed up septic tank is probably a better guess than a volcano in Minnesota eh?

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
�Beeson added that the latest theory put forth by the state Department of Natural Resources, that bloated aquifers are pushing warmer groundwater into the lake, has been debunked.
He said North Long is the only lake in the area with such a hole, the area hasn't received any appreciable rain since July, and the underwater studies didn't find any unusual currents.�

www.channel4000.com...

"Since surfacing in Brainerd, similar holes have been found in other lakes in the state, and they are also being found on lakes in Wisconsin, New Hampshire and New York."

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by DrSaid]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
"I think it's a bunch of hooey myself. It's no mystery. We live on an earthquake fault up here. People don't realize that."

I think I will go with that comment
I've always liked the word hooey.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
"I think it's a bunch of hooey myself. It's no mystery. We live on an earthquake fault up here. People don't realize that."

I think I will go with that comment
I've always liked the word hooey.

So, part of the "Worldwide Seismic Event"?

(Damm, I moved up here because I thought it was safer than going back to the east coast or moving to the west coast after I ETS'd out o' the army....)

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Who cares, it is gone this year.
www.startribune.com...
�But by the time the black hole finally froze over last February, area chemist Alan Cibuzar, who was hired by the watershed district to study the problem, had come to another conclusion.
Cibuzar said Monday that the "black hole" is the deepest spot in the bay -- 32 feet -- and is filled with "unconsolidated organic material," or "soft organic gunk." When there isn't enough snow to cover the ice, he said, sunlight penetrates to the lake bottom, warming the water and allowing vegetation to grow. That, in turn keeps the surface of the lake from freezing over.
When snowfall accumulates and piles up on the ice, as it has this year, "all the photosynthetic stuff starts to decay or decline," he said. At that point, even the water around the black hole cools, and ultimately, the surface water freezes.�

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by HowardRoark]

new topics

top topics

join