It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Civilization at the tipping point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I ask this question, because it appears that the tip of the iceberg is rearing itself.

We have $100 oil, strange climate changes, overpopulation, war, riots, exteme poverty and food/fuel shortages in China and the third world, . . . while for some of us its the best of times for many others it is the worst of times!

I believe the Earth can support no more population growth . . . and yet I don't want to sound like a NWO globalist elitest . . . how many can this tiny planet support over long periods of time?

If we are near peak oil, we maybe seeing the tipping point and it will begin in the third world with very brutal results and minor problems for the developed world.

I see the sands moving and shifting below my feet . . . how can we have an island of plastic in the pacific . . . why has the cost of food and fuel skyrocketed . . . how does one breath fouled air of China and drink the polluted waters of India?????

. . . and yet many put their heads in the sand! I guess, I will continue to enjoy life, keep my powder dry, hoard non-perishable foods, ammo, etc. with the motto "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!"

Does anyone else have a feeling we are entering some kind of "tipping point" with civilization as we know it or I am just paranoid or crazy?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It couldn't be that maybe we're experiencing the Tribulation, could it? Nah... that'd make too much sense.

And no, you're not crazy. You're recognizing the signs.

Peace be with you and may God guide you home.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well, I believe my thoughts are well founded, I have few recent articles to reference as back up to my "paranoia"!

The Coming Urban Terror!

Is this a big one!

On the Brink!

Riots - Middle East

Riots - Kenya

Riots - Pakistan

I could go on . . . but I think . . . my "paranoia" is well founded!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't think you're paranoid at all. Quite the contrary.
I think you're looking at the world with eyes wide open, in fact.

Here's another link to add to your collection

Global Disaster Watch Website

[edit on 3-1-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think its pretty safe to say that the world cannot go on as it presently does for much longer. And those who choose to ignor the warning signs are fooling themselves.

The worst part about it all is that we have brought it all on ourselves. And it seems to me that there is no turning back now. The course has been chosen and it cannot turned. God help us all.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightmare
I think its pretty safe to say that the world cannot go on as it presently does for much longer. And those who choose to ignor the warning signs are fooling themselves.

The worst part about it all is that we have brought it all on ourselves. And it seems to me that there is no turning back now. The course has been chosen and it cannot turned. God help us all.

You know what the scary thing to me about it all is Lightmare? That there's TONS of people in the world who LIKE it the way it is and that WANT it to go on... personally, I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yeah I've met my share of people who are quite content with the present state of the world and would love to see it continue this way forever. And I don't understand it either. I can't imagine why there are so many people who would not welcome some much needed change to the way the world system works.

I know I would love to see things change for the better. No more greed, no more rat-race fueled machinery to run our lives, no more materialism. Its just a shame that such changes will most likely be brought about by cataclysms of apocalyptic proportions rather than a change of heart within the human race.

[edit on 1/3/2008 by Lightmare]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes, it is a shame that a change of heart wouldn't take care of it all - but us humans...you know, we're so imperfect and so many these days have hearts that are engorged with negativity. For three years now I've been sharing the good news of Christ's impending return and it's very few and far between the people who accept it. It's as it was prophesied though.

The Spiritual War has been raging for 6,000 years now and all things must come to an end...to make way for the new. I'm with you Lightmare. I won't miss the things of this old dying world one single bit. I welcome the establishment of Christ's Kingdom with open eyes, an open heart and arms wide open.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Aye, takes a special kind of person to look forward to war, death, famine, and armageddon.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
Aye, takes a special kind of person to look forward to war, death, famine, and armageddon.

**** Sigh**** Will the non-theist's thinly veiled hatred for religious view points ever cease. Nobody is actually looking forward to to such terrible and violent events. We do, however, believe that such events are inevitable since humankind has willfully set itself on its own crash-course with armageddon. We also believe that the downfall of the current system will give rise a better, more natural way of life. Its not the end of the world...just the end of our current way of life. The transition will most likely not be very pleasant though.

We are NOT looking forward to war, death, famine, and armageddon.

Also, the topic of this thread is about whether or not civilization has reached a tipping point. No where did the OP request that people start posting sarcastic remarks directed at religious people. Stay on topic please.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
believe all that you wish, BUT!!!!!
save for your later years............

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightmare
No where did the OP request that people start posting sarcastic remarks directed at religious people.

Heh, i don't think it was meant to turn into a theists bible prediction thread either. But it did.

Have fun with your armageddon fantasies.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Every time has it's troubles, every country has those that announce it's downfall, and yadda yadda yadda... I'm not good at preaching, so I'm going to try not to.
My point is though, is that every generation has problem, and people point to them and shout that the end of times is near, or the great revival is near. Honestly, after so many times of hearing this, I'm a bit numb on the entire subject.
Yeah, if we get our act together, sure, we could make a utopia. Will it happen suddenly, or over a few years? I doubt it. It'll take place slowly. We about have one foot in the door now, but it'll be a long slow change, which most people aren't happy with.
Thing's will change, and more problem will come up, and more people will claim the world is ending.
If it seems callous, or close minded, I've seen it happen before, I'll probably see it happen again. I look forward to it, don't get me wrong. I look forward to a world where people never have to say something along the lines of "It shouldn't be this way..."
But I don't believe I'll live to see it, or be young enough to appreciate it.
Another thing is people seem to want a massive overhaul of, well... nearly everything. Government, monetary systems, the economy, ect. Those sort of things take time to do right. Folks keep setting a deadline, or calling for a revolution, when most people want to get a job, raise and take care of a family, or whatever other life goals.
And uh... I think if I keep going on like this I'll get to far off topic.

Are we on a tipping point? Just as much as we always are. There's always something that can break the world. Which is a lot larger than some people seem to think for some reason. The fact is though, even if it's by the skin of our teeth, we tend to make it through. We're young, and still learning. Yeah, we're idiots. But so far we've managed not to kill ourselves. I take that as a good sign myself.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I really started this thread not from religion . . . but on the belief that we are at tipping point of Human History . . . such as . . . the fall of the Roman Empire . . . the dawning of the Feudal Times . . . things are going to change dramatically . . . not the end of the world . . . but the end of the world as we knew it!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

i quite agree with you, i have always felt (even as a young child) that something is going to give....rather like an elastic band being pulled too tight. my folks have bought us up being aware of the impact of humans on the planet and its inhabitants. later as i i grew up i came to realise the impact that humans have on other humans and the maddness that occures, if anyone has read desmond morrises human zoo youll know what i mean.
m x

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

yes the civilized & industrial world is at a breaking/tipping point...

mostly brought about by the accepted banking system...
just witness the chaos & mayhem which is affecting the global monetary
system at present...
gold/precious metals/commodities extracted from the Earth are sure to
replace the exotic shennagains of creative devices created by adept
charlatins in the banking realms.
the high-flyers will be laid Low...as forseen/warned in scripture

i must end it here---- before i get into a rant,

thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Oh, Stu please go on . . .

But, it looks like the shoes are dropping . . . left and right, if the economy is a "zero sum game" per Mr. Gordon Gekko than the USA is on the negative side with Citibank . . .

Citibank seeking oversea investors!

and the markets . . .

stock markets in retreat because of credit woes!

[edit on 1/12/08 by mel1962]

[edit on 1/12/08 by mel1962]

top topics

join