It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create machine that knows what you are thinking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Scientists create machine that knows what you are thinking

www.dailymail.co.uk

Scientists have developed a machine which is capable of reading our mind and revealing our most private thoughts. ....The researchers' analysis was found to be 97 per cent accurate but they went on to show that they could distinguish between two similar objects, such as two different tools, almost as successfully.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Hear Voices? It May Be an Ad
Lab comes one step closer to building artificial human brain
Commercial brain computer systems are coming

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
So how good is the advancement of technology now? Are we never going to be able to walk around and think in private again. There goes all those after dinner walks to gather your thoughts. This will probably end up in interrogation rooms and things of that nature before we know it. Better be careful of all those anti-government thoughts you might be having. Don't let GW get a hold of this bad boy!!!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
hehehe... that's my scared laugh. What the hell is the purpose of a machine like that.
Ok, forget that retorical question, I just can't see the rational reason for developing something like this except if they put it in use for physically handicapped people who aren't able to articulate themselves.

Soon we will all be going through the streets like drones chanting "milk milk milk milk" inside our head to keep out thoughts hidden or wearing tinfoil hats, hehe.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I wonder if tinfoil is able to stop MRI? If the tinfoil can either stop the alignment of the H atoms by the magnetic field, or the subsequent reading of that alignment by radio waves, then the machine is useless.
And so far MRI's only have extremely short ranges, measured in the inches. It's not like they can detect your thoughts as you walk down the street, yet.
They reckon this machine might enable police to 'arrest criminals before they break the law.' Uhh, has anyone seen the movie Minority Report? I don't want to be thrown in the clanker just because I thought evil thoughts about that person who was rude to me.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The key to our freedom possibly may lie in the concepts of 432.
432 being the one true resonant frequency of all reality.
create our own frequency fence that cannot be penetrated.
Time is running out for us i think...we need un-orthodox thinking
to get out of this box....

sound/music is a powerful medium...and its being used against us.....

please look into these concepts....they somehow just might be our way out....

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The title is a bit misleading and I know it is not the OPs own topic title - the title was taken from the article but if you read the article what it does is this...

Using an advanced form of MRI scanner, they analysed how the brain reacted to ten drawings of tools and buildings.

They then used a computer programme to work out whether a person was thinking about a tool or a building.

It is not so much reading your mind but reacting to what part of the brain is active and then making a guess based on what objects were used.

with the aid of a sophisticated scanner and computer programme, they were able to determine how the brain lights up when thinking about different subjects.

while they are claiming it is 97% accurate I kind of doubt that is even true.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by zerotime]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that some machine can read my thoughts....

Just like I seriously doubt some Gypsy with cards and a ball can read my future

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Wouldn't the tinfoil hat you are wearing which is strapped to your head slam directly up at the magnet in the MRI, causing massive brain damage? That may be a way to beat it, after the head injury all you will be able to think is "tomato, tomato, tomato..."
Seriously this device is, well, evil. Right now they have it where it can "read" what you are looking at. But eventually with better software, it probably will be able to figure out truth, lies, thoughts and well beyond that.
When we have the handheld version I am going to hideout in my secret cave...that they will know about with their device...but its secret...and they will know...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

So how good is the advancement of technology now? Are we never going to be able to walk around and think in private again.

The PC (political correctness) advocates have got to love this news. It finally gives their Thought Police a tool to impose total control over the rest of us that would otherwise be free thinkers.

[edit on 1/3/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
With all of the new amounts of money being spent on the domestic spying front, they could do away with all that if a machine like this gets advanced any further. If they can concentrate a beam of sound to a specific small area as in the ad campaign by A&E in New York City, then I am sure they will be able to increase the distance at which MRI reaches. I think that is just a minor technicality at this point. Once the police or government hitch onto this thing, they will pump money into it to make sure it does what they want it to, IMO.

Wouldn't the tinfoil hat you are wearing which is strapped to your head slam directly up at the magnet in the MRI, causing massive brain damage? That may be a way to beat it, after the head injury all you will be able to think is "tomato, tomato, tomato..."

That is some funny stuff right there..

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya432
Time is running out for us i think...we need un-orthodox thinking
to get out of this box....

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Maya432]

I`m so sorry ..I meant to say orthodox......Not UN-orthodox...lol
my mistake.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I say we take this new technology and turn it on those that made it. Maybe we'll get some serious insights into the why rather than the what of this.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
With this technology, "they" can determine what's common to everyone, in how we use our brains.

If we all generally use the our brains in the same manner, then our brains can be targeted in the same way, to achieve common results.

Controlling the masses, so that we see "blue" where they tell us to.

Or "truth" where there's nothing but lies.

On the other hand, if we can turn this technology on the politicians and "deciders," we could begin to imagine a world based on something other than lies.

To screen out the psychopaths, before they get in power.

But I don't need a brain scanner to tell me the odds of that happening.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   

On the other hand, if we can turn this technology on the politicians and "deciders," we could begin to imagine a world based on something other than lies.

probably a reason why this sort of technology will 'disappear' and be developed for Intelligence agencies.
Makes me think of lie detector tests. sure they are not 100% acurate and they can surposedly be 'beaten'. But imagine if politicians had to be hooked up to one while giving speeches. This new program/machine will go the way of lie detectors IMO

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Oh no, the evil people will know which one of the 10 preselected items my brain might be thinking of when I am inside a machine that takes up nearly all of a room in which I have to lie perfectly still.

Oh no... think of the public, oh no.

Pfft.

Why not focus on the good things mentioned in the article, like autism research.

Anyone who reads this thread needs to visit the source article and get the full story.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Oh great, now I cant even have naughty thoughts about my wife and I.
With all due respect, if the gov gets this and sees an opportunity to exploit it, you can bet your bottom dollar they will.

Next thing you know we wont even be able to brake wind with out having someone knowing about it.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
(off topic)

A bad fart could probably be detected with technology from years ago.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
PSTRRON - You must not be married that long...a true honeymooner! I seasoned veteran would be afraid of his wife getting the technology to see who he IS fantasizing about...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

Why not focus on the good things mentioned in the article, like autism research.

That is a great thing. But as stated many times before on ATS tech threads, we need to worry about the potential "bad hands" that these technologies will fall into. No one disputes the fact that there are good applications to most new technologies. The fact of the matter is that most inventions such as these end up "disappearing" as someone stated before. They then seem to get used for different intel agencies and groups of that type. They have to say that there are "benefits" to these advances otherwise people wouldn't go along with it. Everything that has government backing, as I am sure this will eventually, pumps up all of the good things about their developments and neglects to really tell the public what their actual intentions are.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

With all due respect, it's not the machine they're currently using to conduct this research that should be most worrisome.

Yeah, obviously, and currently, we don't need to worry much about our brains being scanned surreptitiously by hugely expensive, gigantic machines, located only in well financed hospitals and research facilities.

It's how they intend to use the knowledge gained by this research that should be of the most concern.

If they can "standardize" the workings of the brain, they can also apply that knowledge to control the brain, and hence, all of us, to be good little cogs in their "greater" social machine.

All technology has two edges, one cuts and the other heals, and unfortunately, it's all too often entirely up to the wielders of a technology to determine which edge to use.

Will they use it only to empower themselves, or all of humanity?

That's the question that needs to be examined here, IMHO.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join