It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cutting the cord to flat-screen TVs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Cutting the cord to flat-screen TVs

www.cnn.com

The WirelessHD group is also announcing that it has completed the blueprints for chips that can beam HD audio and video from set-top boxes, DVD players and digital cameras to TV sets. The chips can be made small, and the intention is to have them built into devices, rather than be supplied in add-on adapters.

The technology uses a virgin band of the radio spectrum, around 60 gigahertz. That lets it avoid interference from other wireless networking gear and allows for extremely high data transfer rates, according to John Marshall, chairman of WirelessHD. Unlike other wireless TV solutions, WirelessHD won't need to compress the signal, which can result in a loss of quality.

To satisfy concerns by the Motion Picture Association of America, the organization of Hollywood studios, WirelessHD has intentionally limited the range of the technology.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
While I applaud the neat technology which will allow to connect HD devices in a wireless manner, it's pretty sad that they chose to cripple it to the extent that I can't beam content from one room in my house to the other. I'd rather see an integrated solution whereby there is one point of entry for the HD data into the house and then it's routed as I wish.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think all they're saying is that the technology will be crippled enough so that you may use it on your consumer devices but it might be encrypted enough so that Hollywood can use it commercially without the fear that someone intercept and pirate the content.

Of course for every problem there is a solution and someone will find a way to defeat it.

new topics

join