It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Dollars No Longer Accepted at Indian Tourist Sites

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

LOL...well they've never accepted Rupees at Disneyland. Why should Americans care if the dollar is weak against the Rupee? Personally I have never, and probably never will, buy a : computer from (as in "manufactured in") India (invented and assembled by and Indian company)...car from Pakistan...electronics from Saudi Arabia...software from Turkey....cellphone from Afghanistan...medicine from Uruguay...etc and so on. Not because I have a personal embargo on these countries, but because they DON"T MAKE A DARN THING I WANT OR NEED. Oh...accept for the oil of course. We all know that jig will be up soon enough. Hope the Saudis have good 401K plans. When the oil runs out they're D 4 DUN. Please don't mistake our American independence for arrogance. You'll have to agree that while our Government at times has done some questionable things, a lot of good has originated here too. Things which make life better for all of humanity. Like the internet you're using now. Oh....I almost forgot....I will have to call the Indian gents to whom I've been outsourcing my tech help line and let them know I can no longer afford their services. Gonna move it back Stateside. That whole dollar rupee thing makes them unaffordable.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by shug7272
reply to post by pc is here

You didnt do anything to stop it.. Not saying you could but you didnt.

Are you sure of that? I mean, are you 100% percent sure?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I guess this means they won't accept plastic either. It's nice to know someone still believes in their own form of cash and I don't think there's any thing wrong with accepting it. "When in Rome..."

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfTom
Big Deal.

Oh wait, I just had an idea....

Don't go to India.

Hey India, take the taj mahal and stick it!!!!

Yea

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I spent a whole morning with a guy from Bombay this week, while trying to fix my daughters paycard, I couldn't hear him,I called there at least five times, I didn't know the call would direct me to Bombay, but this has happened to me before.

I love you India, but can we have our jobs back?

Why am I talking to Bombay, to reach Bank Of America's information on their ATM machines?

And we wonder what is wrong with America,

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
By the way the guy didn't help me at all, I finally found a lady located in America that was able to get the money the ATM took of my daughters card back on her paycard within seconds, apposed to four hours of meaningless effort at negotiating with the guy from Bombay, who wanted me to fill out form and fax it to him, in which it would take 90 days in order for my daughters 360.00 to be put back onto the card that the ATM stole,

whew, glad I got that off my chest

[edit on 113131p://bThursday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Yeah, I think "haji" might mean "arrogant" in California-ese. But how did the "white boys" know? Fortunate thing that india has no arrogance among it's billion + consuming and polluting people. Sadly, sounds like there might be some racial envy mixed in with the other envy I mentioned earlier.

still they are less polluting than US people , who drive around useless polluting inefficient SUV garbage and think that driving a small car means being poor , height of american arrogance

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
What I find appalling is how some of you are posting in what seems delight in the falling of our dollar and the impending doom of the American people, for we are the ones that will suffer from the final collapse.Families are loosing their homes and being put on the street and loosing their life savings, and we have a leader that seems to care more about other countries than his own people. You know I can remember how the American people would open their hearts and dollars to people around the world who were in need by sending money and food to impoverished nations,providing medicines were needed and yet people such as you manson_322 find delight in all of this with your smiley faces.Your post makes me ill knowing you find amusement from it all.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by CaptGizmo]

I agree. It is unfortunate that ATS is so infested with America haters, and even worse that many of them seem to be Americans themselves. Is it masochism, or a suicidal death wish on their part?

It's not hating americans but annoyance at the arrogance you display. The US always bleats that it is leading the way on...well everything! The reality outside the ivory tower of the US is somewhat difference. So what you are seeing is more of a wry smile that the worldwide reality that you are NOT the centre of all things on this Earth is becoming apparent to even the US citizen.

regards,

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322

Yeah, I think "haji" might mean "arrogant" in California-ese. But how did the "white boys" know? Fortunate thing that india has no arrogance among it's billion + consuming and polluting people. Sadly, sounds like there might be some racial envy mixed in with the other envy I mentioned earlier.

still they are less polluting than US people , who drive around useless polluting inefficient SUV garbage and think that driving a small car means being poor , height of american arrogance

Go ahead and generalize everyone you moron. Small means poor?? Never heard that before, must be all the anti-American propaganda you're eating.

I actually own an SUV and I think it's quite efficient my friend. I live in Maine, there is four feet of snow outside right now. It's pretty tough to get around in a blizzard without a pick up truck or sport utility vechile. The United States is a country with many different climates and terrain, where I live an sport utility vechile isn't useless or inefficient. Yes, they do call it a gas guzzler for a reason, but how about you come up to Maine and drive around in this weather.

Sorry for getting off topic.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Read an article how in India a car is a status symbol and how automobiles company have found a way for even poor people to own own a car. Damn it! Even the peaceful, environmentally friendly Indians are going to become consumers of the evil oil.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sobolwolf

Let's be real and smart here.

Yes let's... do you prefer western civilization, or do you prefer to live under some crazed totalitarian fool. If not for the US our standard of life would be crap... When I say "our" I mean westerners, I couldn't really give a poo about the others, we are the masters and I am happy with it like this.

The people that carry on about "americans" are just jealous, US has paid it's dues, why should they give you a hand out? Fix your crappy countries instead of whining for gods sake

You see, this is the kind of comment that causes anti-American sentiment or anti-Western sentiment. The reason our countries are "crappy" by your standards is because Westerners raped our countries for many many years. The East had a society and moral standard that was way above Europe but, as it wasn't "Western", it had to be destroyed as it was considered backward/the devil's work or whatever other pathetic excuse the Westerners could devise to excuse them wiping out entire nations (if not the people themselves, then certainly their lifestyles).
The West will fall (as did all the other great civilizations through history) and maybe whatever replaces it will be more ecologically friendly and spiritual so that people can for once live in peace. That's my hope and fervent wish, anyway. Lets just wait and see.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

What I find appalling is how some of you are posting in what seems delight in the falling of our dollar and the impending doom of the American people, for we are the ones that will suffer from the final collapse.Families are loosing their homes and being put on the street and loosing their life savings, and we have a leader that seems to care more about other countries than his own people. You know I can remember how the American people would open their hearts and dollars to people around the world who were in need by sending money and food to impoverished nations,providing medicines were needed and yet people such as you manson_322 find delight in all of this with your smiley faces.Your post makes me ill knowing you find amusement from it all.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by CaptGizmo]

People are always amused when the socalled "the top gun" goes face down. It is to be expected. I hear the harshest critique from U.S. citizens. themselves. I am not laughing, because Europe could follow the trend. At this moment we are soaring with Cyprus and Malta just began to use the Euro this month.
Another reason to expect this, is the way the U.S. administration is operating for a while now. I guess those people who are amused are not thinking off teh population when they laugh but of the elite.
For us Europeans it is great for the moment. I am even thinking off buying a house in the US. The prices are unbelievable for us. Could be a good investment for both sides. I think that is the way to go.

Your socalled positive involvement in the world sending money and goods is half of the truth. The Marshall plan was needed to get Europe on its feet so that it would not fall for the influence of Russia and open a market for the US which produced 40 years of wealth for the US. It is for the first time that we are now exporting more than the US, I believe.

If you look at the figures for developmental support in the world:
Land %
Europese Unie (EU-15) 54.6 (not top gun, but spreading the most)
Japan (JP) 11.3
Verenigde Staten (US) 24.2
Andere 9.9
The US is not the the top gun and has not been that for a very long time.
(europa.eu...)

Europe is, although for the first time in history EU BPP (bruto product per person) is higher than that in the US.

I am not saying the Eu is better or whatever, both our economies are build on the exploitation of the rest of the world during a couple of centuries, and at this moment Europa is getting grayer by the minute. The number of old people is growing and will be growing untill 2035, from that moment on we will have a shrinking polulation in Holland followed by the rest of the world in 2050. These figures are partly based on the fact that people living in a better financial situation (as is happening in countries like India an China) will get less children. In Holland the birthrate is 1,8. With immigrants from poorer regions in our country it decreased to 2,5. So there is a definite trend.

The world is just changing, it is smart to think your way to the best solutions. Emotions are irrelevant at this point. If I would have a business in the US, I would get investors from abroad. Make use of a weak dollar.
Sell houses and land fro instance. There is enough of it.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Pjotr]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Well, here is my tuppenies worth. Yes, many people are Yank bashing and would love to see the USA go down the tubes. Personally, although, as I have said in other posts, I am not a fan of US foreign policy, I do not feel joy at a country's ecconmy suffering. I do not wish to see the average American family thrown out of their homes and onto the streets. I do not wish to see thier people go hungry. Although the USA entered both world wars late, the second world war would have lasted a lot longer and many many more lives would have been llost if they had sat on the fence. I still think that we owe a debt to our cousins across the water. If there was a way, and please do not ask me what as I have no idea, wouldn't it be right to give our allies a "bunk up".

Think of the thousands of war graves scattered across Europe, filled with American dead and then go Yank bashing. Who helped liberate the Far East from occupation. How many US graves lie alongside the British in Malaya and Burma.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We are reaping what we have sown. Americans have to accept the fact that our government has ensured the rest of the world hates us.

We also must accept that other countries are better at sticking together for a common cause than the US. WWII was the last time we were one true nation.

The rest of the planet is dumping us as a bad investment. I can't blame them.

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be bumpy night."

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Capt515

Well yeah they earn themselves a good rep by helping to end the war, then they go and blow it by starting themselves a load more, so half the world hates them!

I don't want to see America go down either, because I think it's a great country with some great people and produce, and yes I do consider them our cousins across the pond. But it's got nothing to do with 'war-debts', actually i'd prefer it if there weren't so many USAF bases around our country and continent.

Oh well if America gets into real economic trouble it will just have to stop giving aid to poor countries, helping out in international emergencies and sharing medicine and technology. Then we'll see who still wants them to fall.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

...Despite a veneer of expansionist, "superpower" government priorities like nuclear weapons and a space program, India has more than 836 million people living on less than 50 cents ($2 in PPP) a day according to a recent report. ...
...Despite significant economic progress, 1/4 of the nation's population earns less than the government-specified poverty threshold of $0.40/day.... Source

...More than 40 per cent of the population is illiterate, with women, tribal and scheduled castes particularly affected...
...The main causes of poverty are illiteracy, a population growth rate by far exceeding the economic growth rate for the better part of the past 50 years, protectionist policies pursued since 1947 to 1991 which prevented large amounts of foreign investment in the country...Source

An Article About Dharavi - Read the whole article as it brings more understanding.

All along the street, water is gushing into blue plastic tanks and aluminium tubs, washing sticky breakfast dishes clean. It flows down the street in a rippling sheet. Bisecting it is an open drain, which gushes torrentially, flushing away the detritus of the previous day.

From the stink of this, it includes a lot of human excrement—which tiny naked children, squatting with their backsides jutting over the torrent, are busy adding to. In fact, it is not supposed to be used for this purpose. The locals are instead supposed to take their turn at a block of 16 public latrines, serving 300 hutments (or 3,000 people). It costs a rupee a visit—or 30 rupees (75 cents) for a monthly family ticket.

Regarding the Hindu Caste System-

One night, while Maurya was away in a nearby city, eight men from the higher Rajput caste came to his farm. They broke his fences, stole his tractor, beat his wife and daughter, and burned down his house. The message was clear: Stay at the bottom where you belong.

Some facts to bring things into perspective. This might help to explain the anger. The poverty was self induced due to a protectionist attitude based in a big part on the Caste System which is nothing more than a extreme form of hatred and bigotry. India is currently crawling out of this pit. I'd imagine the Caste System will be a long time in leaving the culture.

The premise of this thread is nonsense. The US Economy is sound. It has ups and downs but it is sound. Why there is all this fantasy about it collapsing can only be explained by people tendencies to lie where hatred is involved. Many it seems, have even lied to themselves.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Wow! What the heck? Another crappy pointless war of words between the East and the West! Let's grow up some. We're all in it together. We are the world! It's time to band up to find solutions, instead of getting vicarious pleasure at someone's discomfiture.

That said, with no seeming end in sight for the falling dollar, let's see what the implications are:

> As US exports become cheaper, there would be an increase in demand for US exports. This will eventually lead to a boost in US economy. So don’t worry. Be happy!

> US consumers would find imports more expensive. Therefore there will be a fall in demand for imported goods resulting in considerable impact on other countries. However, the impact may be less than it was due to the rise in Indian and Chinese consumer spending.

> This would also reduce the US current account deficit.

But most important of all, countries like India which export a lot to the US may witness a fall in economic growth. The Chinese government too is worried about this situation. Both are zooming ahead at present with a 9 – 10 percent growth rate.

Apart from causing a huge dent in the value of India's foreign currency reserves, the falling dollar also has implications for competitiveness. India holds about $200 billion in foreign currency reserves. Most of it is reportedly in US dollar-denominated assets. The dollar has fallen by 23 per cent.

This means India has suffered a potential loss of wealth of around $40 billion! And that is not a small sum, by any reckoning.

And thanks to the falling dollar, India is getting screwed two ways:

> India’s foreign trade is taking a hit.

The concerns are mainly on four sectors — textiles, Info technology, IT enabled services, automobile and jewellery — which have always depended largely on the US economy.

> Reduced disposable income.

Which means I would not be able to buy another 42” plasma display panel for my third bedroom anytime soon! Darn!!

Cheers!

[edit on 4-1-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The way I see the dollar bouncing back is if we in this country start using an alternative fuel source.Maybe some of those repressed technologies that have been kept under lock and key by large energy corporations that bought up all the patents.We also need to start manufacturing again;we have become a service oriented nation now.

Why would big oil companies want to do that when all they have to do is move their operations out of the country, milk the oil for all its worth, and get cheaper labor to boot, it's a win-win situation for them and it's a lot cheaper than making new factories and hiring new labor for this new energy source. To them, Green is all that matters, not how their actions will affect the people

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Question

Why would big oil companies want to do that when all they have to do is move their operations out of the country, milk the oil for all its worth, and get cheaper labor to boot, it's a win-win situation for them and it's a lot cheaper than making new factories and hiring new labor for this new energy source. To them, Green is all that matters, not how their actions will affect the people

You must work for corperate America. You nailed it exactly. Are you going green or getting the green?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

Thanks for demeaning my efforts in giving up part of my paycheck to the victims of Katrina and giving away my un-needed stuff to salvation army. Guess I should just forget about paying bills, taxes, food, oh and taking care of my loved ones first and just give everything to charity. Will that put me above the other country you mentioned? /sarcasm off

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join