It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragonball (2008)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Dragonball, every anime and manga lovers favorite comic and tv series if finally coming to the big screen. Thats the awesome news, the bad news is, James Wong (The One, Final Destination 3) is doing to it what Ang Lee did to the Hulk. The story is great and all, its just changed, when it doesnt need to be. For example, Goku is already grown up, and he's leading the life his son Gohan leads. His grandfather is his adopted father, he and Bulma just meet, also, he doesnt know Master Roshi yet. It begins at the King Piccolo saga. Piccolo may not be green, he might even look totally different. Most of the main characters wont be in the film, like Krillin, Puar, Oolong, Chaotsu, and Tien. The very characters that helped Goku become as powerful as he becomes. Last but not least, the cast is awesome, they're just not perfect for the saga. I'll list the cast and list the problems with it.

Goku- Justin Chatwin, he's too old for this time, Goku was 15 during this saga, they should have cast Josh Hutcherson.
Bulma- Emmy Rossum, she would have been perfect for the beginning of dragonball, but too young for this saga, they should have cast Zooey Deschanel
Piccolo- James Marsters, he is a little white guy, if they were gonna cast some white guy like that it should have been Hugo Weaving, I'm not racist or anything, Piccolo just seems like he'd be black, because they are the only people that seem like they'd pose as much a threat as King Piccolo does, his power was awesome, they should have cast Dennis Rodman.
Master Roshi- Chow Yun Fat, he doesnt seem old enough, maybe Gohan (Goku's grandfather) but not Master Roshi, and he doesnt seem like the womanizing type, after seeing Balls of Fury I thought that James Hong would have been perfect for the part.
Yamcha- Joon Park, he's perfect for Yamcha, just not for the timeline, maybe the Saiyan Saga and on but not this saga, it should have been Tony Jaa.
Chi Chi- Jamie Chung, she seems too different and too old for the part, for this saga it should have been Katie Leung from the Harry Potter movies.
Mai- Eriko Tamura, shes too young for the part, also, the only part Mai played in this saga was Emporor Pilaf's helper, they freed King Piccolo.
Thats all, now for the characters that should have been in the film, and the actors that should have been cast.
Tien- Chad Micheal Murray, he's the right age, and I know that Tien was asian in the series, its just that I don't see an asian that could look like Tien as much as this guy does.
Chaotsu- Verne Troyer, I know he isn't asian, but who would be able to tell if he wore the makeup that Chaotsu did.
Puar- would be CGI
Oolong- Warwick Davis, he would have to have ten pounds of makeup to look like him, but he could still play the part.
Krillin- the asian kid from Fearless that bully's the young Huo Yuanjia close to the beginning. He would have to be killed off near the beginning of this film like Krillin does, as it is the first reason Goku decides to fight King Piccolo and his offspring.

Also, the film The Forbidden Kingdom is more Dragonball than this Dragonball.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hi joadco, So dragonball is anime movie or a realistic actors movie? I Am a big anime fan and loved BDZ (I got a friend of my addicted to it!)… I hope it turns out to be a good anime movie… but from how you describe it, it sounds like its going to be a letdown!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yeah, its live action, and yes it does sound like it will be a letdown. but then again, who knows? James Wong did a good job with Final Destination 3 and The One, so this film could still be awesome. Also, the same team that worked on the Matrix is doing this film, you know, 87eleven or whatever it is.

SR

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The cast looks to rag tag and misplaced for my liking also i don't think it'll translate well onto the big screen but hmmm have to wait and see it when it comes out.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I know this isn't going to be as good as the series, or manga, but her, you gotta take what you can get.

If they concentrate more on the badass fights, and less on the likely garbage story, they might put together something worth our while.

One way or another, for this to work Goku has to have the crap beat out of him, and then when it looks like the end, charge up and win one for the Gipper.

But, I'm betting a thousand bucks they blow their load and have him go Super Sayain right in the first movie.

new topics

top topics

join