It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska oil exploration to begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Alaska oil exploration to begin

www.abovetopsecret.com

The US government says it will offer exploration rights for oil and gas in a north-western region of Alaska.
The federal Minerals Management Service said it would take bids next month for concessions in the Chukchi Sea, which separates Alaska from Siberia.

But environmental groups fear the effects on wildlife in the region, including the polar bear population.

There have been no lease sales for over 15 years and the groups fear further exploration could damage marine life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Senate backs Alaska Oil Drilling
NEWS: U.S. OKs Expanded Oil Drilling in Alaska

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am all for any new developments. Being the poor consumer that I am. I also do like the natural wilderness that this planet once had in abundance. So I hope that the exploration will prove fruitful. I can take that one step farther and say I hope the Anwar reserves are taped also.

www.abovetopsecret.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Maybe we should colonize Saudi Arabia instead. And keep Alaska intact. I like Alaska... And who care about sand? There are no polar bears in Alaska.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It is about time they get going on that. I worked up on the north slope, and I will tell you they are nazis about the environmental stuff up there. Sure it has an impact, any time we go out in the great open it has some impact. But believe me they are very good at protecting the wildlife up there, you cant step foot on the tundra unless a permit has been filed. If any oil is spilled it has to be cleaned up and put in a bag that goes to a disposal site. We once sat on the road for two hours while caribou made their way across it, if you mess with the animals your job will be at risk. I shooed off an artic fox that was chewing on my boots one time, and I got the ass chewing of my life from my foreman.

For all the people that claim it is devastating, I hope for one you dont drive, and two that you have stepped foot on the north slope and observed operations up there. I agree 100% on respecting the environment, and in a perfect world we wouldnt need to explore for more oil and risk damage to the environment. But for now whatever can be done to ease our dependency on foreign oil is what needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunner36
But for now whatever can be done to ease our dependency on foreign oil is what needs to be done.

But if we invade Saudi Arabia, the foreign oil becomes domestic... Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I agree keep alaska intact but drilling in the arctic sea seems okay after all we drill off the coast all over and the effects are few and far between

I also agree that Anwar should be drilled as well but using more modern methods and lessons learned from the first pipeline we should be fine if we just use our ingenuity and imagination

P.S. Tree huggers it makes very little sense to drive the 2500-4500 miles (depending on where you are coming from in the U.S.) waste all that gas and potentially freeze to death to in protest.. instead of saving the environment save some gas money and stay home

Just kidding we need to work together

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunner36
We once sat on the road for two hours while caribou made their way across it, if you mess with the animals your job will be at risk. I shooed off an artic fox that was chewing on my boots one time, and I got the ass chewing of my life from my foreman.

Thanks to every one who is posting.

I think the fox is a very beautiful animal. I don't see how shooing away a fox would be harming or really messing with it any. What is deemed worth an ass chewing from showing away a fox?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
well that's a start...auctioning off new parcels of drilling areas,

the fed govt must have a burning need to help balance the books before the election in Nov....that's my take on the sudden opening of drilling tracts

the geologists might find out that a lot of thepresumed Arctic reserves
might be all in that same resevior/pool of oil that they're tapping into.

And go OY!, while slapping their forehead...mummering...'Why didn't
we drain the reserves before the rest of the world got into the act??'

next off, the tracts on the Florida coast should be opened to domestic drillers - but 90% being dedicated to the 'Strategic Reserves' and
dedicated to the citizenery energy (the poor)...

only the 10% being profit/ or supply side, marketable oil for sale by the drillers.
--way too complex for explaining in the thread--

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Apparently my foreman thought it was, I didnt harm it in anyway, just gently shooed him off to someone else to harass. They are nazis up there about that stuff, which is good but I still cry about the tongue lashing I got, when it is dark and no one is around. They are pretty little critters, they are white as the snow, and they are curious as a darn cat. If you had any food on you they would follow you through the bowels of hell to get a little. They used to come around me all the time, I thought maybe it was because I had a way with animals, they could sense that I was kind. However they were pretty intelligent, they probably saw me and said, "holy crap look at that fat kid, he has to have some food on him".

[edit on 5-1-2008 by gunner36]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

Real sorry about that tongue lashing you got gunner. No one should get a tongue lashing that would keep you up at night crying. I would think everyone should be briefed on what is and is not messing with the animals. That should solve some problems, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think we should explore Alaska and ANWAR, drill for oil and than cap the wells as a stategic reserve!

Let the rest of the world sell their oil cheap and when it reaches $200 - $300 a barrel we might think about selling some!

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mel1962

Mel
I have talked to people and they think that is exactly what is going to happen.
I can't really say if I think is good or bad.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I really believe that is what is happening, that is why Cheney's meeting with Matt Simmons and others in the Energy Industry is "top secret" because it truely is a nation security issue for the US.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
For Gods sake! Cant we take just a minuscule portion of the freaking funds used to develop our richest state in the union and develop alternative methods of transportation and commerce? Please give me a break!

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OK let me say this! I am the direct descendant of my great great great etc. grandfather Studebaker. There is much more to the story than most ppl know. We first invented the 'electric' car , not the direction the powers that be took it with the oil industry. If that reality had happened in this part of the multiverse we would be flying hoover craft and living in a paradise. This is complete and total misuse of power in every direction, trust me on that. This is the worst possible news for the environment, wildlife, atmosphere, humankind except of course if you are a part of the ever dying NWO and the evil misguided perverts of greed they are.

new topics

top topics

join