It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lesson Of Stephen Hawking, Today's Living Einstein

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I am sure most of you know about Stephen Hawking
and who he is... I would guess 96% of the ATS members-
but for the other 4%- go "google" him and come back.

This thread just wants to point out something about this genius-
a man regarded as perhaps the best/smartest living physicist-
yet that is subjective and he also has his detractors and very smart competitors for that title (like Richard Feynman, and others)...

Anyway- the points I want to bring up and ask for discussion about is:

1) The fact that he was a lazy student, an underachiever, UNTIL he contracted Lou Gehrig's Disease and who confined to a wheelschair, paralyzed, and unable to speak. Using a special computer, the guy
freakin' writes books by moving his eyes, and solves complex math problems- in his head, since he can't use paper. But- he did nothing wiht his gifts until something happened that MOST PEOPLE would consider a type of death- not being able to walk or talk or move?

But he retained the power to THINK... and he proves how POWERFUL consciousness is... intelligent, curious consciousness.

He has had wives, and leads- beyond expectation- a 'normal' life.

Think about us- we all have problems- some more, some less, some lives
reading this are harder than other lives reading this- but most of us can walk and talk. It makes me realize that we all have such potential- much greater than MOST of us actualize... I am guilty of it- and Hawking is a great lesson about life.

2) GENIUS IS NOT PERFECT

THe other cool thing about Hawking is that one of his biggest theories-
about black holes- we was dead wrong about- and years of work, followed by years of trying to convince colleagues of his position- was followed by an admission of error. So here is a guy who is a genius at what he does- one of the best EVER... and he gets a major MAJOR part of his work wrong.

Lesson? We are all human and we all make mistakes- so for me, the lesson her is about fear of failure.

Sometimes we do not do something because we are afraid of failing. We are afraid of failing because we fear the failure will define us- as losers.

Hawking shows us that failure is not the by-product of "losers"... it is a normal part of the upward journey of achievement in any field... no matter how smart you are, you will fail a few times, you will be wrong- so that gives us the confidence to try hard at whatever we do, because failing is okay, and we are not going to be defined or judged for them unless failure beats us and we never try again.

Hawking is a great inspiration, even if you never read his books.

He reminds us that what we perceive as limits on our lives...
are self-imposed illusions...

TPM

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Thank you for writing such an inspiring thread.

One star coming up!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I wonder if Hawking is more unknown to people than I thought...

and if that is true- is it due to his not being able to speak?

I guess PR is hard when you have to talk through a machine.

He still interviews well...

TPM

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I totally agree that he todays version of Einstein. I hate it when people take the p*ss out of him. Just a bunch of ignorant idiots that know nothing about him

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mug2k

True indeed, Mr.Stephen Hawking is a man of wonder. For a person who can think like he can, he is unboubtedly the modern times Albert Einstein. He has been a star in the field of theoretical physics and more notably on the existence and behavior of Black Holes. More than likley more than half of what we know today about Black Holes might lead back to Hawkings works. He is truly a genius, given his current , unfortuante condition. I read more about him and his work a long time ago in a book, i cant remember what is was its around me somewhere (but ill edit this if i can find it). Amazing guy.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
seriously ive never even heard of the guy,

i was interested on how you said we have huge potential to be smarter, and to think and stuff, and you are very right

the problem is that people at the top dont want many people to be smart, the use everything they have to keep people from thinking too much

they use pointless shows like american idol, and keep people preoccupied on the stars' lives and buying things they dont need

also the reason i think that he wasn't too good in school (like einstien so i hear) is that school doesnt teach a person to be smart, but how to achieve success in the work place and be a good and productive citizen, for this reason i see todays education as very flawed

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
also the reason i think that he wasn't too good in school (like einstien so i hear) is that school doesnt teach a person to be smart, but how to achieve success in the work place and be a good and productive citizen, for this reason i see todays education as very flawed

Actually the man was quite brillient. He said he didnt do the work because it was too easy; he was able to do the equations in class with fluidty and accurately, and most of the time was right. He just didnt put forth the effort, thus he became lazy.

As said in Spider Man

"Peter Parker, brilliant but lazy."
-Doc Ock

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Nice, thanks for this post! I think Hawking is very inspirational indeed.

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms

I wonder if Hawking is more unknown to people than I thought...

and if that is true- is it due to his not being able to speak?

I guess PR is hard when you have to talk through a machine.

He still interviews well...

TPM

I don't know about that.... I think he's pretty known, and sometimes even because of his condition and "artificial" voice.

However, thinking about Einstein, he really became so famous when he started to travel all around the world giving seminars. And that's something hard for Hawking to do, even if he wanted to.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jarheadjock
Actually the man was quite brillient. He said he didnt do the work because it was too easy; he was able to do the equations in class with fluidty and accurately, and most of the time was right. He just didnt put forth the effort, thus he became lazy.

As said in Spider Man

"Peter Parker, brilliant but lazy."
-Doc Ock

thanx for clearing that up but it still doesnt change my view on education

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hawking is pretty amazing now that I think about it. I didn't realize his problem was ALS. Would he have been successful without this handicap? IMHO ALS is caused by Lyme or Lyme-like bacteria and can be treated if caught early enough with antibiotics. It's just too bad that the suffering must continue so that it's suitablility as a bio-warfare agent can be determined....

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tankthinker

OH Okay , lol. I see your viewpoint is about the elite attempting to dumb us down and that all of us humans have the inherent ability of being geniuses, but ddont use it or discover it......am i corect in saying this about your view?

Yes, i agree, to a point; the US educational system is sufficient, for jobs that are outdated, and require us to sit down, shut up, listen to what we feed, and finish the assignment to our liking. It doesnt allow much free thought, unless its English class; sometimes even then about what you write is not correct unless its stated in a curriculum rubric.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i couldn't have said it better myself

you have effectively relayed my view point

and in going through school now (grade 12) so you can imagine what i am going through realizing its all bs

top topics

join