It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time For The Silent Majority To Speak Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
On new years eve, I had a couple of friends round for drinks and to see in the new year.

During the course of the evening, we watched the monty python film "The Life of Brian" and had a good laugh, which eventually turned into quite a discussion.

When the film was released, the pythons were vilified for producing what some critics saw as a blasphemous film. There were TV interviews with some of the cast in which certain people attempted to disparage the film and the meaning of the film, which naturally, the film makers defended themselves against.

I have to say that I have never thought of the film as blasphemous - I've always viewed it as a satirical look at how people will follow the crowd, and also a condemnation of some of the religious hypocrisy in the world today. It also says to me that true spiritual satisfaction is not reached by following a "leader" but is gained in a variety of ways.

Everyone I know and have asked about the film (including some rather devout people) has expressed admiration for the film, with some remarking that it's one of the funniest they have ever seen.

Now contrast this with the views of Islamic extremists.
The furore over a cartoon - with muslim extremists calling for death for the publishers, writers etc.

The disgraceful situation in sudan over a teddy bear that was named not by the teacher, but by the class - with mohammed being the most common name in the world today.

Even today, Salman Rushdie cannot live a normal life - the fatwa may have been called off, but he still lives every day in fear of some extremist or other finding and killing him.

These are just three examples, and I'm sure others can name many more of extremists dictating our behaviour.

The biggest difference, is that the makers of "The Life of Brian" have not lived in fear for decades because of what some saw as blasphemy.
Rather, they have downplayed the criticism and always focussed on the actual point of the film instead of others perception of the point of the film, and in time, the furore has died down, and the film has come to be acknowledged as a classic of its genre.

This points to a very western and christian ability - the ability to laugh at ourselves, and to not take things too seriously.
Of course there are exceptions - I have no doubt that some members see the film as blasphemous and would rather it had never been made. But for the most part, people take it in the spirit it was intended.

The ability to laugh at oneself, does not seem to extend to most of our muslim brethren though (moderates as well as extremists) and this may be due to the fact they take their religion very seriously, or it may be due to cultural factors.

My point is, for too long we have pandered to these extremists (not all extremists are terrorists) until today we have reached a point where it is impossible to speak out for fear of offending muslims.
Now I would have no problem with this if it were a level playing field - but the fact of the matter is, muslims can say pretty much what they like whilst the silent majority have to remain just that - silent.

When a muslim cleric says that it's perfectly acceptable for gays and adulterers to be stoned to death, nobody complains. Or if they do complain, it's either covered up or they are branded nazi's or some similar nonsense.
We seem to accept this, as the talking heads and leftwing liberal elite make excuses - "oh, it's their culture" etc etc

Well, it may be their culture, but it's not mine - if I go abroad to another country, I'm expected to live by their rules and laws.
Why is it not the same for my country and my culture?
Why are guests in my country allowed to bring their own rules?
Why should I be condemned for thinking that a foreign visitor should conform to the rules of the society he is visiting, or has chosen to live in?
Why should muslims not be subject to "hate crimes" the way the rest of us are?
If I dared to critisize Islam, the thought police would be kicking my door in five minutes later in a bid to halt the "hate crime" - and yet muslim clerics are doing the same thing in mosques across the country and not a word is said, even when they openly advocate murder.

I see a lot to admire in Islam, as well as other religions and I am an advocate of free speech and freedom of worship - but isn't it time we let the powers that be know that this state of affairs is not bringing different ethnic communities together, it is widening the rift, with the majority being the ones who suffer.

It's time that people started to speak up and make their feelings known - I'm not advocating violence or closing borders or any of that nonsense.

I'm talking about the rules being applied equally to all, regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual preference.

In other words, it's time for government to do its job and enforce the law, equally, for all.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Our problem is that we have become a nation of whingers and moaners.
In every pub and club throughout the whole country you can here people expressing exactly the same opinion; it is not the silent majority, we are pretty vocal, but only in our own little clique's and groups.
Only where we feel safe and comfortable as we are afraid to speak out to loud for fear of being vilified and accused of being racist and bigotted.
We are afraid to voice our opinion in case the PC brigade blacken our name and we are identified as being an extremist.

As a result we just whinge and moan and do nothing to stop the steady decline of our once great nation.
All that we held to be just and right is now openly scoffed at and treat with complete disdain.
Those that we give harbour to now turn around and spit in our face, tell us that we are wrong and demand that we change.
And still we sit back and accept it, but do nothing.

Where has our pride gone?
Where has our spirit gone?
They have been diluted as we become a nation of apologists.

Please excuse my rant, there is so much I could say, so much I do say.
But what do I do?
Nothing!
The same as ever other whinging, moaning Brit.
When are we going to stand up for ourselves again?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree, to an extent - we should be making our voices heard where it matters most, at the ballot box.
We should be taking a leaf out of the french book, and show our displeasure when our "leaders" who are, after all, supposed to be elected representatives of the people, completely ignore our concerns, and instead pander to the trendy lefties who think that national pride makes you a nazi.

Untill we can break the stranglehold that the trendy lefties have on local, national government and the civil service, we will always be in the same position.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

The ballot box, and where has that got us lately?
And look at the options.
Gordon Brown, what inspirational leadership qualities he has displayed recently.
David Cameron? A mediocre man for mediocre times. (We are after all becoming a mediocrocy)

What I would give for an Enoch Powell or even an Arthur Scargill.
Jeez, I didn't neccasarily agree with either of them but at least they had passion and committment.

Margaret Thatcher, I hate the woman for what she did domestically to this country, but by, what a pair of balls she had!
Michael Hesltine, an upper class twit. But no-one can deny his passion, pride and morals.

The ballot box?
The only options we have there are a different shade of bland and PC.

I fear positive action is our only option.
As Joe said:
"Kick over the wall 'cause government's to fall
How can you refuse it?
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?"

I'm not talking about revolution and all that nonsense.
But we have to make ourselves heard and stand up and be counted.
Public displays of discontent are the only way we will change anything.
We are too far down the line.
We have to make "Joe Average" sit up and take notice and let him know that he's not alone.
We also have to make people aware that there is more to life than who has won X-Factor, Celebrity Come Dancing or any other mindless, dumbed down, insignificant piece of "entertainment" whose only purpose is to lobotomise the public.

I don't mean riots in the streets, (yet
), but we have to do something positive.
If not, then this country will continue it's rapid decline into becoming just another third rate country with absolutely nothing to offer to the advancement of mankind.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Freeborn]

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

This is where I have a grudging admiration for the cheese eating surrender monkeys across the channel - they might be a bit extreme at times, but their government does what the people want, rather than the situation here where the government does what IT wants and sod the people.

This aside, it really is time to start saying to the extremists: "You know what guys - you don't care about offending us, so we're gonna do the same, and you'll get the same treatment under the law as everyone else"

It's time to stop pandering - extremists don't care what others think, or if they offend someone, so the message has to be loud and clear about what is acceptable and what isn't, and the rules have to apply to all.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Starred ansd flagged. I totally agree.

new topics

top topics

join