It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scrapping the Hubble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The US is seriously planning to scrap the Hubble Space Telescope.. wow

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I still don't really understand why. They throw enough money away on everything else. It has been up there for less then a decade so you got me.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hubble Telescope is definitely one of the best things NASA can claim responsibility for. It has provided us with some of the most amazing pictures. I would really like NASA to reconsider their plans to scrap the last service mission.

for more on the future of Hubble, see this link:
www.hubblesite.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The orbit the Hubble takes would put the shuttle where it could not get to the ISS in the event of a problem is the reason I saw, when I read the space com article. If this is going to get any upgrades it's going to come from private industry saying see we can do it and better to get Nasa out of this paranoid state of doing difficult tasks. Money is the second reason I think its being side stepped and then applied to moon/mars project.

Sad Michael

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Yea...I agree...

I don't think the Hubble should be scrapped, too many good pics have come from it...

Just a thought...

Maybe NASA, could sell their rights for the Hubble...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
sooner or later its going down, i just dont think they should bring it down without another replacement thats even better? agree?

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Scrap hubble???

SCRAP NASA!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
Scrap hubble???

SCRAP NASA!!!!

could you expand on why? Scrap Nasa has been one of my thoughts since Apollo Nasa has been in a tail spin. No real direction except for spending money on project that ask for more money, that ask again and again for more money. Then they cancel the project! Waste of time and money so I have my own thoughts on scrapping Nasa, Hubble started out blind from the mirror done wrong. It asked for more money and was fixed, it needs service again and because of Bush directive will more than likely be left to decay.

Michael

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Uh didn't this thread just exist recently? Oh well, I think they are scrapping the Hubble because it may see what is coming in future and that is not good for the controllers.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
yeah, its a pity. the problem is that, technically, the only reasons for the space shuttle are hubble and the ISS. otherwise, its useless. theres a theory saying that hubble was made only so the shuttle wud be justified, but thats up there with the xerox scam.
bascially, if money is gonna be used to get to moon, mars, and for insane amounts of research, the shuttle will be tossed, cuz its pointless and obsolete (the most complex machine in the world is obsolete. great), and that means hubble has to go. its jsut not worth the costs to keep it activated. spitzer is goin great tho, that rose is pretty nice.

top topics

join