It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New light shed on night clouds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

New light shed on night clouds

www.msnbc.msn.com

HAMPTON, Va. - A Hampton University professor is shedding new light on night-shining clouds that might be affected by climate change. Jim Russell is the lead scientist for the NASA-funded AIM satellite, the first to study the wispy "noctilucent" clouds, which only appear above Earth's poles.

Russell, an atmospheric science professor, has found that the clouds get brighter and stretch farther as the uppermost atmosphere gets colder.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Please click on the link to read the complete article

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I have always had an interest in noctilucent clouds and nacreous clouds (which are similar to noctilucent clouds) Would be really interesting to see what his findings are. I believ the first sightings of these were after the krakatoa eruption which would explain the water clinging to ash/ dust cloud particles.

And just wanted to add that the swedes and finns have been studying these clouds for years, so he definently isnt the first

Good post, you get a star and a flag

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The only problem I have with that is they were first reported in the early 19th century. Years before the industrial revolution. Not to say increased pollution and rocket launch exhausts have not excaserbated the phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
The only problem I have with that is they were first reported in the early 19th century. Years before the industrial revolution. Not to say increased pollution and rocket launch exhausts have not excaserbated the phenomenon.

They are not saying that man-made pollution is the cause of the clouds existing at all, they are saying that it's causing them to appear further from the poles.

top topics

join